Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Microsoft Office expert
50836188

hello, when I type a word document and save it in word, for

hello, when I type a word document and save it in word, for some reason it is saved in works not is word. I have then tried to convert it from the works back to work but it keeps being saved in works, any suggestion?

thanks
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Please open the Word file

Click on File then SAVE AS

In the drop down box for Document Type make sure it says Word file (.DOC)

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried that numerious times, it keeps going be to the WORKS format
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Please change the document type to .DOC

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't read your second reply, please resend
thanks
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Please make sure you are using SAVE AS then change the document type to .DOC

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
wait - I'll try again
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
OK take your time!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it keeps being saved in WORKS. I have an old version of WORD, would this be the reason. As I said, I open WORD,type the document, save in WORD, but it keeps opening in WORKS
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Please make sure you are using the SAVE AS option NOT SAVE

Once you use the SAVE AS option then change the drop down to .DOC

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

that's what I have done, save in SAVE AS WORD.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Does the file format say .DOC in the file format option in SAVE AS?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, the document ends with .DOC but keeps opening in WORKS

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
OK; Close out of Word

RIGHT click on the File and select OPEN WITH then Choose Default Program

Select WORD and select 'Always use this selected program to open this kind of file'

Open the document now

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

maybe this is the problem when I reight click on file and "open with" and chose defaul program - the only two programs shown are WORKS and WORDPAD. nothing about WORD

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Do you have Word installed on your computer?

Click on Start then type in the box:

Word and press enter

Does Microsoft Word appear?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
  1. yes, the program comes up, I can type a document in WORD but for some reason it is saved in WORKS????
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Please upload the file to http://www.wikisend.com

Once you upload it please give me the download link so I can look at the file
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not sure how to do that, please give more details on both

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Please click here --> http://www.wikisend.com

Click on BROWSE select the file and select UPLOAD FILE

On the next page you will be given a download link. COPY that link and PASTE it here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't seem to get done, got into the first part but cant paste it
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Highlight the link and RIGHT click then select COPY

Then RIGHT copy and PASTE the link here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry, I just cant get it done. It seems that the computer, although WORD is installed, the computer doesnt recongnize it. I can't spend any more time on the problem right now, any suggestions what I should do. I will accept the answer when you reply

thanks

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Do you have Windows 7? Works do not come installed on a Windows 7 computer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, I have Windows 7 but installed WORKS from an old program as I had some WORKS documents I wanted to save
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Any .WPS file or Works file can be opened in Word. I would recommend you uninstall Works

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
works is installed, the problem again is that when a document is typed in WORD, for some reason it is saved in WORKS which is the problem as not many people have WORKS. Do you think I should just uninstall WORKS???
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
RIGHT click on one of the files and select PROPERTIES and tell me the file format (.DOC, .WPS,etc)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I right clicked a WORF file, properties show DOC FILE (.DOC), and it shows 'OPEN WITH MICROSOFT WORKS.

This seems to be the problem

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
The file is in a Word format which means anyone who gets the file will be able to open it in Word. The issue is only on your computer with it opening in Works. I would recommend that you uninstall Works

Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Microsoft Office expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX accept