Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP; Microsoft Office, etc.

ra phi

Customer Question

I had to open a template to use for an assignment - the template was on MS word. So, when asked to open or save i pushed open - done my work on this and then pushed Ctrl + S to save. I done this on 3 separate documents and saved all of them using ctrl + S. I know I saved them, as when I closed word it asked me on all of the documents if I would like to save the changes - I said yes to all, and re-checked I saved by pushing ctrl+S again on each. When I went to attach the files to submit my assignment - the documents were no where to be found. This has happened before when I chose to open rather than save templates - however this is serious as I need the documents handed in, in another 2 hours! I have been through all the suggested processess via microsoft help and these have not worked. I need to get these back!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 4 years ago.

From Word, there may be a recent files option; can you check?

Did you open these templates/files/attachments from email?

Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7?

What program do you use for email, i.e. Internet Explorer, Safari, Outlook Express, Outlook 2003, 2007, etc?

Did you re-open these attachments from email? DO NOT re-open these attachments.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I did not open these through email. I go to a site called moodle that students at our university can access for resources for our class. This is where I pushed on the link that brought up the template I needed to fill in - I have windows 7. I have checked in recent files and nothing is coming up.
Did you re-open these from the moodle site (don't re-open it)?

Can I remote to your computer and try to find them for you? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yep you sure can I would appreciate it! I have tried to re-open it as i've tried to follow every suggestion I could find.
Sorry, re-opening them might have overwritten your saved documents, but let me open your question to other experts. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok shit! But thanks for that.

You can click on Start and type %temp% and press Enter, then check if the documents are in the Temp folder, but it looks like you've searched for them already.

Sorry, it seems no experts have another suggestion; sorry that the documents are lost. I suggest to always save the document (do Save as either straight from the web (don't open), or if it opens, then click on File, Save as) from the Internet to a folder you want on the computer first, then you can open the document in your computer, then edit.

If you have any other computer question/issue, please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the suggestion - have tried that and it's not there. But I won't make this mistake again!
Sorry, OK. If you have any other computer question/issue in the future, please let me know any time. Thank you.