jinsmn
jinsmn, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  12+ years experience in computer field.
50064670

Good afternoonRan McAfee Saturday full scan everything

Good afternoon Ran McAfee Saturday full scan everything o.k. This morning opened my word documents and 18 word documents were in light blue color with an inverted s and $ sign Called Microsoft and they said it was not a virus and a technician can inform me how to correct this I deleted 12 of the corrupted files...but actually would like to get them back I'd appreciate some assistance Thank You E.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  jinsmn replied 4 years ago.
Hi, welcome to justanswer. I am Jins here to assist you.

To resolve this issue, an affected user can unregister the mswrd632 converter by editing the registry as follows:

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Text Converters\Import\MSWord6.wpc
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
Click Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.

NOTE: For x64 systems above path is slightly changed:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Applets\Wordpad

This change will effectively unregister the converter and disable it for third-party applications and for Microsoft Office. Restart computer and launch MS Word. Try to open the files using file -> Open

Regards

Jins

Please ACCEPT My Solution If It Helped ..

POSITIVE Feedback And A BONUS Are Always Appreciated ..

PLEASE CONTACT ME BEFORE LEAVING A NEGATIVE FEEDBACK

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jins

After the word

Text Converters\

Can't locate the next word Import only export

Emil
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other. Would like to work with Jins....but he is offline now...If he will be available in 10 more minutes I'll wait Thank you Emil H. Levi
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

It appears that Jins is offline.. Would you like to wait for him, or continue working on the issue now with me?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Jins:

Hi

Tried your resolution the first time…but after restarting computer, the corrupted documents were still corrupted.

Waited an hour and tried your process again…This time after
Text Converters\.......could not find the next word Import (which was there initially).

I’ve placed the corrupted files in delete….hoping to retrieve them when
problem is solved.

Found many more corrupted files when I opened different Folders in My Documents section.

Knowing you have a 100% positive feedback …Rather wait for you
and your reply

Thanks
Emil
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Since you stated you would rather wait for Jins..

Then I will opt out, and allow him to answer.. Good luck with your issues.

Dustin.
Expert:  jinsmn replied 4 years ago.
Hi Emil, sorry for the delay in reply. Can you please give me one of your corrupted file? I need to check it.

Please go to www.wikisend.com and click on the browse button. Select a document file which seems to be corupted and click on the upload button. Then give me the download link wikisend gives you.

I think the virus scanner fixed some issues like scripts on those particular word files and that is why those files are corrupted. I need to check that file to find a fix.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jins: Attached the wikisend download link requested: http://wikisend.com/download/441626/~$sef's New York Schedule.doc Regards, Emil
Expert:  jinsmn replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I checked that file and tried different encoding formats. Actually that file is only 162 kb size and contains only a line of text "HP Authorized Customer" Some other characters are displaying as missing fonts. I think the virus scan removed some viruses from some of your documents and made changes on it. So please check the quarantined files section of your antivirus program for a copy of your files.

Otherwise you can try a system restore. Restoring to a previous date on which your system worked correctly may resolve the issue.

To restore your system to a previous date; Click on Start \ programs\ Accessories \ System Tools \ System Restore, and you’ll be given a wizard screen.

Select “Restore my computer to an earlier time”. Note that System Restore is going to reboot your computer in order to restore.

Click the Next button, and you’ll be shown a calendar with bolded dates wherever there is a restore point. Click on the date, and then click a restore point in the right hand side. Make sure you are selecting a date on which the system worked correctly.

You’ll get a confirmation screen asking if you really want to do this. We’ll assume that there’s a problem requiring you to restore, so go ahead.

Your system will reboot and then restore your computer back to the previous configuration. Check your system and reply me the result.

Regards

Jins

jinsmn, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 12+ years experience in computer field.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jins

I viewed regedit (as mentioned in earlier e-mail)

In the registry, after your suggestion to delete...I no longer see
after \Text Converters\...... Import\MSWord6.wpc

Is that o.k. and normal to be missing now?

Regards,
Emil
Expert:  jinsmn replied 4 years ago.
It is normal, especially when using virus scanners on system.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jins

O.K.....I had used system restore numerous times....but did not want to go that route unless necessary. I thought there might be a more expeditious way of repairing corrupted files

Regards,
Emil
Expert:  jinsmn replied 4 years ago.
Did you check macfe's Quarantined items ?