rhess
rhess, PC Consultant
Experience:  I have extensive training in all versions of MS Office
64975016

5. Add Referential Integrity to your two tables. Please ensure

5. Add Referential Integrity to your two tables. Please ensure that you invoke the following two items
a. Enforce Referential Integrity
b. Cascade update fields

rhess :

Hello?

Customer: Hi I already have the tables built I just need to add the rules can you help with this?
rhess :

yes, i can

rhess :

we can do it 2 ways

rhess :

you can either upload the database here and i will do it for you

rhess :

or i can explain how to do it

Customer: Okay just let me hop onto my computer and I will send you the file, what's your email?
Customer: I would rather you just do it for me
rhess :

no problem

rhess :

i can't give you an e-mail address, but if you go to http://www.wikisend.com, you can upload the file there and then paste the link to the file here

Customer: Okay I will do that please give me about 5 or 10 min
rhess :

sounds good

Customer:

http://wikisend.com/download/123112/Unit_3_MicroSoft Access.accdb

Customer:

Add Referential Integrity to your two tables. Please ensure that you invoke the following two items a. Enforce Referential Integrity b. Cascade update fields

Customer:

i have two tables the instructor table and the course table

Customer:

you can delete the relationship that i have there already since i know its wrong

rhess :

ok

Customer:

i have a crappy online teacher but you can give a brief explanation on how you did it if you want just so i have a basic understanding of it

rhess :

I'm assuming we have to link "course" with "instructor"

Customer:

yes

rhess :

ok, the first thing i had to do was chance the data type for the "instructor id" field in the "course" table to "number"

rhess :

from there, you can create a 1 to many relationship with the "instructor ID" field on both tables

Customer:

o

Customer:

oh okay 1 to many i could'nt firgure out which one to choose

rhess :

i've created a sample query to show that it works

Customer:

thanks

rhess :

http://wikisend.com/download/256674/Unit_3_MicroSoft Access.accdb

rhess :

do you understand what a 1 to many relationship does?

rhess :

So, once i created the relationship, i just had to check the boxes for "enforce referential integrity" and "cascade update related fields"

Customer: I'm having trouble opening the database it says I have to me a backup copy of the database and open with read write permissions
rhess :

what version of office are you using?

rhess :

http://wikisend.com/download/731944/Unit_3_MicroSoft Access.accdb

rhess :

try that one

Customer: Can I change the properties by double clicking like most files and going to property
Customer: 2010 access
Customer: Okay I will try that one
rhess :

you should be able to just double click and open

Customer:

sorry finally got it open just had to get rid of the read only property where do i go to check and see if the rules are applied ?

Customer:

see you stepped out gonna accept and take your word that everything is good to go thanks for your help and hopefully i can get your help on some other projects in the future

Sorry I missed your follow-up question in the chat. To check the relationship, click on the "Database Tools" tab, click "Relationships," and then double click on the relationship line between the tables. You will see that 2 boxes are checked per the specifications you gave me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks yea I seen it good job I have already accepted your answer and left you a comment
Hello, it was great working with you to resolve your MS Access problem.

If you ever need help with anything MS Office related in the future, I would be happy to help you out.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are you there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
let me know when you are online again
I'm online now, but only for a few minutes. I won't be available again until tomorrow after 6:00 PM EST.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will contact you tomorrow then?
Sounds good. Is this regarding this question or does it pertain to a new issue?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A new issue just need a few more querying created
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
http://wikisend.com/download/670290/Unit_3_Warren Morris-Database rough draft.accdb

Please add the following queries to your database. Label them Unit 4-Query 1, Unit 4-

Query 2, etc.

1. Create a query that will display all information from the Instructor Information

table.

2. Create a query that will display all information from the Course Information table.

3. Create a query that will display all instructors that live in Orlando, Florida. Please

display all information from the Instructor table except the state.

4. Create a query that will display all courses that are offered in the 100 level series.

5. Create a query that allows Jenny to enter in the Instructor’s last name as the

query is run.

6. Create a query that shows which instructors need a raise! Hint: your query

should show all instructors making less than $20/hr.

1 AND 2 ARE ALREADY CREATED
Can you please open this as a new question? If you go to my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=64975016&FID=7067, you can make sure it is sent to me directly. I will work on it first thing when I get home this evening at around 6:00.