Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues

RA - RB

Customer Question

My Gateway computer came with Vista Home Premium and Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007 Trail. I upgraded from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium, at the same time I upgrade from the Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007 Trial to Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010. When I'm in Outlook and try to run a search in my mail "Windows Instant Search and Windows Indexing" does not work in outlook. The Outlook "search" Indexing Option troubleshooter "Windows Search Indexing is not Running. If I go to the advanced tab under indexing options and click "rebuild" nothing happens. If I go to control panel, programs and features, "Turn Windows Features On or Off". Indexing Service and Windows Search are checked. In a string of messages posted under windows community it was made to sound that this is caused by going from Vista to Windows 7 and no-one had a fix for it. Do you know how to solve this problem? According to the Windows 7 upgrade site my version of Vista you could just do an upgrade to 7 vs other versions of Vista requireing a clean install of 7.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Personal Help :

Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer

Personal Help :

Can you please do the following

Personal Help :

Go to Control Panel, Programs Features - Windows Features - Disable Indexing + Windows Seach - Restart the Computer

Go back to Windows Features - Enable Seach - Restart the computer

Go to Control Panel - Folder Options - View TAB - Enable Show Hidden Files Folders -

Open C:with windows explorer - right click "ProgramData" Folder - Security TAB - Advanced - Change Permissions -

Check "Replace all child object ect." - Check if System,Admin,User set to Full Control - Edit Creator Owner - Check Full Control - Close Edit - Apply - Wait if asked "YES" - O.K. - O.K. -

Then Check if Indexing is working.

Personal Help :

please let me know if you still have difficulties please

Customer :

This did not work. However 2 things.

Customer :

This did not work. However 2 things. 1) after re-booting you said to turn enable search back on but you did not say to turn Indexing back on so and re-enable Windows search but DID NOT re-enable Windows Indexing was that correct? 2) when editing Creator/Owner to full control I received several "ERROR APPLYING SECURITY" "ACCESS DENIED" several times on different files when it was done, the Creator/Owner's setting was back to "Special" applying only to "Subfolders/files only"

Customer :

Was I supposed to turn back on indexing

Customer :

is my exper there?

Personal Help :

yes please

Personal Help :

yes I am here

Personal Help :

can you now turn indexing back on please

Customer :

done

Customer :

do I reboot? what next

Personal Help :

ok, now test please, though it will take a few hours to return results (depending on the amount of emails you have that need to be indexed)

Customer :

First - did I do it correctly in the first place - or was indexing supposed to be turned back on before I made the changes to the security tab. Because I cannot get the Creator/Owner to stay at full control

Personal Help :

no this is ok, as I wanted you to follow my instructions exactly as mentioned which you did

Personal Help :

the access denied is concerning

Personal Help :

but please test to see

Customer :

ok - I am doing a search of my inbox (Search current folder only is selected) which only has about 20 emails in it so the screen says it is searching and my inbox messages are no longer displayed as it is waiting for the search to complete. In the past this would go on and on and if I clicked the x it would say searching not complete because a certain number of things were being indexed. That number never changed shouldn't you be able to see that number go down as progress is being made? How long to index 20 mail messages

Personal Help :

it is not just emails

Personal Help :

it would also be doing all files on the computer

Customer :

Ok - so does it have to do a one time indexing that takes forever, then after that when you do a search it will show up quickly?

Personal Help :

yes correct

Personal Help :

it first build the database from scratch

Personal Help :

then after it just needs to add new items

Customer :

Ok so I guess I just have to wait for all this indexing to be done to see if it works then log back in to you? Is that how this works?

Personal Help :

thats correct, and if it works, please remember to click Accept, else please let me know

Customer :

Ok, I will get back to you

Personal Help :

thanks

Customer :

one last question I want to make sure I did this right 1) after making the edits to the permissions was I to reboot? 2) After turning indexing back on was I supposed to reboot

Personal Help :

no, no reboot needed on the last step

Customer :

Is it ok if I did reboot? because now I'm not sure what I did

Personal Help :

it wont cause a problem

Customer :

I left the search running overnight. It did finally give me the results. However when I run a search again. It is going thru the long indexing process again. You said once it indexed the files one time then it would be fast. It is back to indexing 2932 items

Personal Help :

yes it should be, and most likely it is doing it in stages

Personal Help :

so it is finishing it off at the moment

Personal Help :

indexing can take a very long time

Personal Help :

but if you are getting search results, then you should not worry if it hasnt completed yet

Customer :

If this took all night before results showed up. Wouldn't have finished. Because I'm not instantly getting results yet, It goes back into indexing over 3000 items. So it still is not working.

Professional Help :

ok, can you do the following please

Professional Help :

close all office programs

Professional Help :

Click start, type in regedit and press enter

Professional Help :

go to

Professional Help :

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search SetupCompletedSuccessfully

Professional Help :

Set the value of this to 0

Professional Help :

then restart your computer

Professional Help :

test the indexing results,as it will redo it (as it appears stuck)

Professional Help :

and should then complete succesfully

Customer :

I

Customer :

I dont see HKLM\ I see HKEY nothing starting with HKLM

Professional Help :

do you see

Professional Help :

HK Local Machine?

Customer :

I see HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES

Professional Help :

ok, follow on from that please

Professional Help :

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search SetupCompletedSuccessfully

Professional Help :

after windows search there is a \

Professional Help :

so Windows Search

Professional Help :

then click on that and in the right window

Professional Help :

SetupCompletedSuccessfully

Customer :

I CAN GO TO SOFTWARE\WINDOWS SEARCH BUT AFTER SEARCH THERE IS NO SETUP THERE IS A "SEARCH SERVICE" AFTER "WINDOWS SEARCH"

Professional Help :

if you click on windows search

Professional Help :

you should see a value in the right window

Professional Help :

search completed succesfully

Customer :

THERE IS 11 DIFFERENT LINES OF INFORMATION IN THE RIGHT HAND WINDOW WHEN I CLICK ON "WINDOWS SEARCH"

Professional Help :

yes

Professional Help :

look for

Professional Help :

setup completed succesfully

Customer :

Ok I see one line that says SetupCompletedScuccessfully - what do I do with it

Professional Help :

ok, click on it and set the value to 0 please

Customer :

value is already a 0 Hexadecimal

Professional Help :

ok, then please close that

Customer :

ok

Professional Help :

go to Control Panel and look for Indexing Options

Professional Help :

there you will see the option to rebuild

Professional Help :

can you please select this

Professional Help :

it can take around an hour but this will force a rebuild of the index

Customer :

ok when I open this the box that appears say Indexing is not running. There is no information on either side of the box "Included Locations" and "Exclude". Several times I have already gone into the advanced tab several times. The first 2 boxes are unchecked and I click on rebuild it says it can take a long time to rebuild and then takes you back to the Indexing option box. It appears that nothing is happening.

Professional Help :

ok, in advance options

Professional Help :

do you see restore defaults?

Customer :

what know

Professional Help :

under indexing options

Professional Help :

if you click on advance options

Professional Help :

do you see restore defaults?

Professional Help :

if you do, click this, then try to rebuild the index and tell me if you get the message Index is not runnin\

Customer :

Restor defaults is not there

Professional Help :

ok, then please do the following

Professional Help :

Click start, type in %temp% and press enter

Professional Help :

delete all the files it allows

Professional Help :

restart and then try to rebuild the index again please

Customer :

when you say delete all files it allows do you mean delete any file that has the ext ".tmp" or any kind of file that comes up

Customer :

I'm about to give up. I un-installed office and re-installed it to try to fix and I think it was just a waste of my time.

Professional Help :

no, all files in the TEMP folder that it allows you to delete

Professional Help :

any kinf of file

Professional Help :

find*

Customer :

ok when I go to start and type %temp% files come up as well as folder with files. I deleted any file I could but did not go into each of the folders and try to delete those files along with its folder am I supposed to? And what did you mean by the find*

Professional Help :

yes please, delete all files and Folders in that directory

Customer :

nothing has changed it seems to go thru the long indexing every search. yes it finaly finds the results after I leave it running overnight. I even uninstalled office and reinstalled office and the results are the same

Professional Help :

ok, to check though it is now finding the results?

Customer :

yes it gets the results, but not instantly like it should. It takes hours, and hours. I don't know how many hours - over 2 hours for sure. But you said initially that once it goes thru the indexing one time then the results would be instant. They are not. It is not working like it should. If I search for something in windows explorer the results are instant but not in outlook.

Professional Help :

ok, I would like you to do a compact in outlook please

Professional Help :

to do this follow the instructions here

Professional Help :

once it compacts and reduces the wasted space it should then speed up to normal speed

Professional Help :

if it does not, please let me know

Customer :

ok I did the 1st part compacting the pst file. I could not do the 2nd part .ost the instructions for Office 2010 say to go to the Microsoft Exchange Server under account settings. I don't have that option. I don't believe I am on an exchange server. I am a home user I am not on a corporate network. So anyways. It still is not working. My husband just upgraded to Office 2010 he runs XP not Windows 7. And the Instant Search is working on his system. So Now what?