maomd
maomd, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Fifteen years plus providing efficient computer solutions, no matter how small or large.
31474244

Have Microsoft Publisher 2010 installed only. Have saved files

Have Microsoft Publisher 2010 installed only. Have saved files from internet on Adobe Reader X (these have saved as locked files), which should open in Publisher 2010, however, when I try to open "with", it tries with my old Publisher 98 or Microsoft Office. Neither one of these work. How can I get these files to open in Microsoft Publisher 2010? I hope someone can help me with this problem. I am new to Microsoft Publisher 2010 and Adobe Reader X. Thanks, Katy. [email protected] Everything is much different than my 98 version.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  maomd replied 5 years ago.

maomd :

Hello

maomd :

Do you still need Publisher 98 installed?

maomd :

I recommend removing Publisher 98 and restoring your copy of 2010.

maomd :

If you wish to keep both installed, you can open with Publisher 2010.

maomd :

To do so:

maomd :

right-click the file while holding down the shift key

maomd :

Click Open With and Choose program

maomd :

If 2010 is not listed, click on the browse button and navigate to 2010's executable.

maomd :

You can then set it to always open with 2010.

maomd :

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Went into control panel-both 98 and 2010 are listed as programs. Opened 98 and it contains my old files. Is 2010 getting files from 98? I don't want to lose my old files. I want Publisher 2010 to be the main program, opening Adobe Reader etc. Now it says that Office is the program opening my files and that doesn't work. It should be 2010. Any suggestions. What files are you referring to when you say right click and hole down the shift key? Don't quite understand the rest of the navigate the 2010 executables. Sorry, this old lady need more detailed help. I am 68 years old and these new programs are driving me crazy. Help!
Expert:  maomd replied 5 years ago.
Uninstalling 98 will not remove any of your files.
If you can find your files through My Computer or My Documents, right click them there while holding down the shift key.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you! I'll delete 98 and try getting 2010 as my primary file opener. If you don't hear from me again, THANKS for all your help. Katy
Expert:  maomd replied 5 years ago.
You're very welcome. If you find my answer to your satisfactory, please Accept so I may be compensated for my time. If you still have problems with it, I can still help you here with it.

Thank you.