Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

Why does Access not adapt to Microsoft 2007?

Customer Question

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  shorecc replied 2 years ago.

shorecc :

Hello, could you please clarify your question? I cannot understand it. Thank you!

Customer:

I have recently upgraded my computer to Microsoft Office 2007. Now when I try to open up an Access database I get a message that says "database _____.mdb is not a valid path". This only happens with shared databases, not the ones that I have created and saved in my documents.

shorecc :

Is this for a database you access and attempt to access linked tables? Or are you just trying to open a shared database MDB and you are receiving this error?

Customer:

I am just trying to open the shared database.

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am still waiting for an answer on this. Thanks.
Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Can you please tell me if this database you cannot open is stored on your computer or is it on a server or other computer?

Also how are you trying to open it, are you browsing to the file and double clicking it or are you trying to open from within access?

Please let me know.

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Chris - thanks. I am trying to open a database from a shared network. Also, I am just browsing to the file and double-clicking on it.

Heather
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Heather,

Can you please try opening access and then go to file and open and browse to the mdb file? Please let me know the path to the file if possible such as e:\access\database for example.

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
t:\shared\databases\est bd attached\jobdata1.mdb
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Thank You and did you get that same error when trying to open the file from within access?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No - it seemed to work! Sorry - I should have mentioned that.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok so you are able to open it from withing access but not from clicking on teh file is this correct?

I believe the problem is the path and the computer not understanding how to open the file because it is on t: and not on c:

What you could try is creating a shortcut on your desktop to the database file. Right click on your desktop and choose new shortcut, next browse to the mdb file and see if that let's you open it from the shortcut.

If you need further help or this does not work please do not hesitate to reply back and let me know.

Thank You
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.