rhess
rhess, PC Consultant
Experience:  I have extensive training in all versions of MS Office

Will you be online soon? I am almost done with my ITE class

Will you be online soon? I am almost done with my ITE class this semester. I need help with 1 small access project. If you can answer fast, I will give you a $20 bonus. You have worked with me before and know I will commit. I look forward to working with you asap :) Thanks!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  rhess replied 2 years ago.

rhess :

Upload the requirements and I will let you know if I can do it.....

Customer:

Ok, I am at work at the moment. Can I upload it this afternoon? Will you be able to check it out? Are you familiar with access?

Customer:

Ok, I got off work extremely late and didn't get a lunch. Here is the link for my project # XXXXX Now the professor said this is the easiest one and takes no time to complete. In our class, for access we had 4 projects. Projects 10 and 12 go together and projects 11 & 13 go together. So I will upload my project that I did for # XXXXX and provide my professors comments. I fixed basically everything except NF2? He said we must fix any errors to complete the next assignment or he will deduct even more points. Let me know what you think

Customer:

here is #13 http://wikisend.com/download/482918/Scan_Pic0003.jpg

Access 2010: Chapter 2 Project 13 Lab 3

Office 2010: Access: Chapter 2 Project 13 Lab 3

1. Project 13: Query the Philamar Training Database - Pages AC 135

2. You must correct any errors in your Philamar Training Database before using it again.

3. Complete and submit via Blackboard : All Queries - Entire Database

Customer:

Here is feedback for #11

You have four tables you are only supposed to have two you need to preform and NF2 and NF3 to ensure the tables are properly aligned and then fix the quires, reports ETC.

Customer:

If you can please, please help me asap I would greatly appreciate it!!! Again $20 tip and $18 questions :) Thanks and hope to hear from you soon

Customer:

Hello? Please help as I am overwhelmed. I thought you would have been back online soon. I am willing to work with you. Please let me know when you're online and ready to help me. I appreciate it! I really do and will tip you very well

Customer: Hey, is everything ok?
rhess :

Hello, I just revisited this today and saw everything you have posted. I'm sorry, usually I get an e-mail when a customer updates a question, and for whatever reason, I didn't get one for this question. I had been waiting on that e-mail to come through to let me know that you had uploaded the requirements. Do you still need assistance? I can have this to you by this afternoon if you still want it. Again, I apologize, I would have acted on this sooner had I gotten notification.

Customer:

Yes! Please, I really appreciate it! I was extremely worried. I was confused, b/c this isn't like you. I knew something was wrong. Anyways, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT! I'm currently working on HTML projects and the projects listed above is what I need help with. This is why I am overwhelmed. THANK YOU! Oh and don't forget to look at 11 for the feedback he provided. He stated it had to be corrected for 13 to be right. Thanks!

rhess :

Not a problem.

rhess :

Again, really sorry about this. For whatever reason, I didn't get any e-mails when you posted on this and I had assumed you got it taken care of. I'm going to work on it right now for you, so I'll be in this chat while I'm working

rhess :

Hey, what's up?

Customer:

Ok, not a problem. Thank You!

rhess :

I'm pretty good with Access and this doesn't appear to be a problem. I'm going to review everything right now and get to work

Customer:

I am working on my HTML project now, which is really time consuming. Thank You!

rhess :

Great. well don't sweat this one, i got it

rhess :

I'm not sure what is meant by "NF2" and "NF3". Can I have the specs for the original database that this is based upon?

Customer:

Yes, one sec. He attached a document that explains it. Hold on...

rhess :

ok.....I found this online.......

rhess :

http://wikisend.com/download/378072/Philamar Training.accdb

rhess :

This is the same as yours except with 2 tables.....report and query is the same

Customer:

Nomalizing Databases

Normalization is the process of efficiently organizing data in a database. There are two goals of the normalization process: eliminating redundant data (for example, storing the same data in more than one table) and ensuring data dependencies make sense (only storing related data in a table). Both of these are worthy goals as they reduce the amount of space a database consumes and ensure that data is logically stored.
Database Dependencies/Functional Dependencies

A dependency occurs in a database when information stored in the same database table uniquely determines other information stored in the same table. You can also describe this as a relationship where knowing the value of one attribute (or a set of attributes) is enough to tell you the value of another attribute (or set of attributes) in the same table.

Saying that there is a dependency between attributes in a table is the same as saying that there is a functional dependency between those attributes. If there is a dependency in a database such that attribute B is dependent upon attribute A, you would write this as “ A -> B”.

For example, In a table listing employee characteristics including Social Security Number (SSN) and name, it can be said that name is XXXXX XXXXX XXX (or SSN -> name) because an employee's name can be uniquely determined from their SSN. However, the reverse statement (name -> SSN) is not true because more than one employee can have the same name but different SSNs.

The database community has developed a series of guidelines for ensuring that databases are normalized. These are referred to as normal forms and are numbered from one (the lowest form of normalization, referred to as first normal form or 1NF) through five (fifth normal form or 5NF). In practical applications, you'll often see 1NF, 2NF, and 3NF along with the occasional 4NF.

First normal form (1NF) sets the very basic rules for an organized database:

Eliminate duplication within columns from the same table.
Create separate tables for each group of related data and identify each row with a unique column or set of columns (the primary key).

The primary key of a relational table uniquely identifies each record in the table. It can either be a normal attribute that is guaranteed to be unique (such as Social Security Number in a table with no more than one record per person) or it can be generated by the DBMS (such as a globally unique identifier, or GUID, in Microsoft SQL Server). Primary keys may consist of a single attribute or multiple attributes in combination.

Second Normal Form (2NF)
Second normal form (2NF) further addresses the concept of removing duplicative data:

Meet all the requirements of the first normal form.
Remove subsets of data that apply to multiple rows of a table and place them in separate tables.
Create relationships between these new tables and their predecessors through the use of foreign keys.

Third Normal Form (3NF)
Third normal form (3NF) goes one large step further:

Meet all the requirements of the second normal form.
Remove columns that are not dependent upon the primary key.

Fourth Normal Form (4NF)
Finally, fourth normal form (4NF) has one additional requirement:

Meet all the requirements of the third normal form.
A relation is in 4NF if it has no multi-valued dependencies.

Remember, these normalization guidelines are cumulative. For a database to be in 2NF, it must first fulfill all the criteria of a 1NF database.

rhess :

Ohhhhhhh ok

rhess :

i remember this stuff now

Customer:

Let me know if you need anything else. I think thats everything.

rhess :

you got it

rhess :

Hey, just wanna let you know it's done

rhess :

just wanna clean up the formatting for presentation, gimme another 20 min

Customer:

Not a problem. Thank you!

rhess :

http://wikisend.com/download/947682/Complete.zip

rhess :

Please review and let me know

Customer:

This is project 13 correct? I dont have the book with me this second. Also, did you fix #11?

Customer:

I only see one access doc. Just wanna make sure

Customer:

U there? Where you able to fix the changes for only #11? (see professor comments). I have to submit the correct changes to him for project 11 seperately

Customer:

**were

Customer:

13 looks good, I will submit and see what he says

Customer:

Ok, so only questions I have is #13 looks good, however, the professor stated this to class :Name Column Name and Field Names have spaces (fix or I will deduct major points).

Customer:

I can fix the spaces, I think lol. But should I adjust the excel worksheet and access projects columns to "best fit" size? I think he's paticular about that, not sure? Let me know your opinion. Sorry if I am not making sense. Oh, and only thing I am waiting on is project 11 (what you corrected). If you can send me the link for that one, thanks

Customer:

Hey bud, are you busy? I thought you would be back on to check and ensure everything was fine. please let me know when you're back on. I can't submit my project until you send #11. As soon as you send it, etc.. I will accept answer and you can enjoy your evening. Thanks!

Customer: I need to submit this, please respond
rhess :

here

rhess :

hang on, lemme catch up

rhess :

Ok.....

rhess :

http://wikisend.com/download/688896/Philamar Training.accdb

rhess :

Here is 11....2 tables, 2 queries

rhess :

now what are you talking about with the spaces though?

rhess :

I thought i already had adjusted everything in the database to best fit, but you might want to double check the excel sheet

Customer: Sorry. Oh, he said the fields that have like "client name" etc, have to be input like clientname with no space in between. Said it works better etc, and he will deduct points. I dunno why it matters, do u?
rhess :

That doesn't really make much sense to me at all

rhess :

your original project 11 isn't formatted like that....and there are a lot of fields that have spaces???

rhess :

there are 12 different fields that have spaces in them

Customer: Well, I pasted the comments. I'm driving now, will you be up for a little longer? I can access my feeback from #11 & prior. Just so you see how picky he is. Would that help & be ok?
rhess :

I'm not sure how long i'll be up tonight....i really wish you would have put these requirements in from the beginning

rhess :

listen, i'll check back here at 9pm, okay?

Customer: I don't wanna keep you, I know your busy. Let me know if thats ok. I will be home within the hour
rhess :

I'll check back here at 9pm EST.....we'll discuss

Customer: Thx
Customer:

Ok, just got home. sorry, give me literally like 2 mins

rhess :

ok

Customer:

See how much he takes off for this. I followed step by step in book. The rest of the class got about the same. He said any feedback he provides for any access projects, to keep in mind when doing future ones. See below

• Grade : 39 out of 50

Project 10:Comments : Feed Back was given in the email. Errors in Project: Report: -3 Spelling Client Form -6 Not graded this assignment Quires: -0 Tables: ---Business Analyst:-6 Table Name Column Name and Field Names have spaces ----Client: -2 Did not reduce the Text Field Size

Project 11: You have four tables you are only supposed to have two you need to preform and NF2 and NF3 to ensure the tables are properly aligned and then fix the quires, reports ETC.

Customer:

All my other projects in word, etc.. got 100%, not access

rhess :

Ohhhh, the table names shouldn't have spaces

rhess :

well that's different

Customer:

So should I keep the same or change them?

rhess :

change them

rhess :

i can do it for you if you like, VERY easy fix

rhess :

In reality, this doesn't matter AT ALL

Customer:

Hey i am trying to download #11, but when I save and then try and open, it states not there and some errors?

Customer:

I know, but my professor is anal and will deduct anything for whatever reason he can think og

Customer:

of*

rhess :

what kind of errors?

Customer:

Says file does not exsist

rhess :

http://www.nvcc.edu/home/phealy/ite115/ITE115%20Databases/Philamar%20Training.accdb

Customer:

and says or do not have read access to the file

Customer:

ok, let me try that one

rhess :

i don't quite understand the comments he made

rhess :

for project 10

Customer:

So # XXXXX has a client table, client query, client status report, trainer table right? Everything is good

Customer:

? So 13, do I need to delete the spaces for the names only? sorry im all over the place

rhess :

I'm working on the spaces on 13

rhess :

gimme a minute

rhess :

you can do the spaces on 11

rhess :

cool?

Customer:

yeah

Customer:

but what you sent in 13 is what he wants right?

Customer:

i mean 11

rhess :

as far as the content of it goes, ya

rhess :

ohhh

rhess :

ya, 2 tables in the proper format

Customer:

ok so good then.... from his comments, do I remove spaces only on the field names for text and not currency, or all of them?

rhess :

not sure what you mean?

rhess :

from my understanding, there should be no spaces in any table/query/report names or in column headers

rhess :

that's it

Customer:

ok

Customer:

let me know when your done with 13, thanks

rhess :

http://wikisend.com/download/695428/DoylePhilamarTrainingProjcet11.zip

rhess :

Don't mind the name, I just forgot to change the filename to 13, you can fix that

Customer:

I got it :) let me check to ensure it goes through before you get ogg

Customer:

*off, sorry. I cant type tonight

rhess :

sounds good

Customer:

Got it, looks good. I'll let you know what my grade is. Its way past due but I'll arguee that with him lol

Customer:

Can you do me 1 quick favor, this is my project 12 and I wanted to see if you can quickly skim through it and see if anything big stands out to you: http://wikisend.com/download/583506/DoyleCamashalyProject12.accdb

rhess :

ok

rhess :

i notice spaces lol

Customer:

lol I forgot

Customer:

anything else?

rhess :

the math is wrong for ch2q11

rhess :

it joins the numbers instead of adding them

Customer:

but if you hit ok twice it takes it to the sheet? I dunno, my class mate and I paired up. It is easy to fix

rhess :

well, if i enter 50 and 50, it should return 100

rhess :

but instead it returns 5050

Customer:

crap, how do you fix it, is it easy?

rhess :

honestly, i'm not really sure

Customer:

oh ok

rhess :

hang on, lemme look it up real quick

rhess :

oh, it's just a matter of re-doing the query

rhess :

so wait, you are supposed to enter the 2 amounts when you click on the query???

Customer:

I dunno, hold on

rhess :

Paid: [AmountPaid]+[CurrentDue]

Customer:

do i enter that

rhess :

yeah

rhess :

you had some weird formatting in there that was wrong

rhess :

but any way, everything else looks fine there

rhess :

i'm out for the night

Customer:

sorry, you must think i am an idiot, long day. Where do I put that at?

rhess :

on ch2q11, open into design view and copy and paste what i typed above into the top of the 5th column

rhess :

Or you can leave it the way it already is and remove the spaces in [Amount Due] and [Current Due]

Customer:

in the field section?

rhess :

yep

Customer:

it wont let me, it has drop downs to choose from

rhess :

just highlight whats in there and delete it

rhess :

you'll be able to paste just fine

Customer:

hold on, think i got it lol, wow

Customer:

it says i have entered an operand without an operator

Customer:

ok it worked but on the sheet it removed the 5th column.

rhess :

if you paste "Paid: [AmountPaid]+[CurrentDue]" it works perfectly

Customer:

Ok, Thanks!

Customer:

Ok bud. I really appreciate it! I will accept answer and add your much deserved tip. I hope you will be on/off throughout this week. If you want more $ and good feedback :) I think he has extra credit stuff? so up to you. later

rhess, PC Consultant
Experience: I have extensive training in all versions of MS Office
Expert:  rhess replied 2 years ago.
Hey there, it was great working with you again.

I am very sorry about the major delay in getting back to you....that shouldn't happen again.

I will be around a little more this week, so if you need help with anything, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My Professor hasn't graded all the projects yet. Here is feedback for #11, (im confused)?

Grade : 46 out of 50

Comments : Report: -4 Column Header does not have spaces

http://wikisend.com/download/301698/DoylePhilamarTrainingProject11.accdb

Expert:  rhess replied 2 years ago.
Well you're not the only one confused....from your specs....

---Business Analyst:-6 Table Name Column Name and Field Names have spaces

"Column Name" and "Column Header" are the same thing, so I think your professor needs to be more specific or consistent. I'd argue it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah, ill see what he says. Should I change any of the other projects? Or you think he will deduct points from them too?
Expert:  rhess replied 2 years ago.
No clue...it seems to me that he's deducted points whether you've had spaces or not. I would show him both comments and ask for clarification.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey bud, I just wanted to check and see if you will be available this week/weekend? I have a project for HTML. I should be ok doing it, but if I need assistance, will you be on to check frequently? I know your busy, etc.. If I need help, I will probably ask you over the weekend. Let me know, thanks!
Expert:  rhess replied 2 years ago.
Yeah, I'll be available on pretty much any night a Penguins game isn't on haha. But I'm a lot more available now than I have been in the past few weeks, so if you flag me, even if I can't help, I will at least respond quickly to let you know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

lol ok. Hey, I e-mailed my professor and he replied with the following:

When you look at a report you have the report formatted in Column's so the Column Header is the item at the top tell me what is in the report.

That would be the Column Header or Heading for each column what you have are spelling mistakes that is why you need to have spaces between the words.

For the Table, When you are in the datasheet view you have Columns once again. These Column Headings are also know as Field names in the Design View of the Table.

So when you are looking at either view the Column Name and Field Names may not have spaces because of the way the SQL language works when running a query. Spaces cause the query to run slower.

I hope this helps.

So, what would you do with the other projects?

Expert:  rhess replied 2 years ago.
I see. Leave the spaces in the datasheet view and remove them in the design view. Pretty easy fix.