nalosin
nalosin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  7+ years in troubleshooting and supporting computers, networks, mobile phones and other electronic devices.

I am having trouble with images and Word 2003, in particular

Customer Question

I am having trouble with images and Word 2003, in particular with reopening the file.
Each image is on a separate page, with a 200 word text (caption) underneath, which runs to three paragraphs. I have 2 problems.
The first problem concerns Borders.
Question: How do I keep the original border after re-opening the file?
I Select All and place a border around the image and the text and the first time I print it, it comes out fine. But if I close the file and print it out again, several borders appear, one around the image and the other around each section of the text. The borders seem to be responding to the paragraphs, not to Select All, even though Select All should capture everything. I don’t want a full page border, just a border around the image and the caption.
The second problem concerns the image itself.
Question: How do I stop the image from turning into a black box with just the ghost of the image when I reopen the file?
Each image is on a separate CD. I insert them into the text. They come from different libraries with different formats, some tiff, some jpeg etc. They all print out correctly the first time, but when the files are reopened some images appear as black boxes. Those I have saved as jpeg in My Pictures seem OK. Others I may have inserted straight from the CD. Could this be the problem, that they have to be saved in My Pictures first? However, though I now try to save some CD images in My Pictures, they don’t appear there when I open the My Pictures file. Is the pathway I am using to insert the images causing them to turn into black boxes? What is the correct pathway?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  nalosin replied 2 years ago.

nalosin :

Hello

nalosin :

I can try to help on your question

nalosin :

I would like to answer 2nd question first

nalosin :

You will need to save all pictures to your hard drive in whichever folder

nalosin :

as when you insert pictures in word they are just linked to a location on your hard drive

nalosin :

if your pictures are on CD and CD is not accutally in your CD/DVD rom inserted you will get black boxes without picture in it

nalosin :

Now my question is

nalosin :

maybe problem with borders comes because of the first issue with the pictures linked

nalosin :

Do you have problem with borders on all pictures and text or just on these with black boxes?

nalosin :

If the file is not private nature you can upload it on www.wikisend.com and I can take a look

nalosin :

Let me know when you are there if you wish to continue the session

Customer :

Thank you. I am now going to drive to my office where I have the images and try out your suggestion. This will take me 4 hours. Where I am, it is 10.00am. I hope to have tried with the images by 2.00pm. When I have tried your suggestions, I would like to continue the conversation. Best wishes, Jill

Customer :

While I am driving to the office, I should let you know that the problem with the borders appears on all files, not just those with black boxes. The first print-out shows the text and the image surrounded by one border. When the file is reopened, it shows five or six borders, each one around the bits of separate text (pargraphs) or images. Speak with you soon. Jill

nalosin :

Ok.

nalosin :

Are you able to upload the file so I can take a look?

nalosin :

I will be off till tomorrow after 5PM US Central Time

nalosin :

You can write here everything that can help in solving your problem

nalosin :

and I will respond as soon as possible.

nalosin :

Thank you

Customer :

I saved one image into My Pictures and inserted it from there instead of from the CD and it worked. Thnak you.But whe I tried exactly the same method with the other CDs, te imag appeared to be clear in My Pictures, but still came out dark when I inserted it. The image was not as black as before, but I could not lighten it with constrast or brightness. I am supposed to be submitting my PhD now and I cannot get the images to work!

Customer :

Hello, One solution to the border problem is to move the tabs so that they cover the image and the border, but it dos not seem t work in the 'lorries' version I have uploaded to you.

nalosin :

Can you please send me the link of uploaded file

nalosin :

I will be able to better assist you

nalosin :

Do you use the same method for inserting pictures from My Pictures?

nalosin :

Is the picture shown but darker only, or it's a just black box completely?

nalosin :

When you upload picture to www.wikisend.com you will get a link that you will need to post here

nalosin :

I will take a look and check what is going on