Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, MCDBA, MCP, Microsoft Partner
23511658

I get a "Playback Error" on a .wmv video in PowerPoint 2010.

Customer Question

I get a "Playback Error" on a .wmv video in PowerPoint 2010. The same video runs fine in Microsoft Media player. I've been told there might be a codecs problem, but how do I find the bad codecs? (Windows 7 Professional, 64bit)
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.

SVITExperts :

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer.com.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your issues.

SVITExperts :

What is your EXACT error message?

SVITExperts :

and was there is an error code?

Customer:

There is no error code. This is the display of the actual message:

SVITExperts :

Was this the only one happened to you?

SVITExperts :

or any video inside PP will do the same?

Customer:

This is not the only time this problem has occurred. The problem does not happen on every video. The presentation has one other .wmv video ... it works okay.

SVITExperts :

Have you tried to remove it and add it back again?

SVITExperts :

Or

SVITExperts :

Create a new PPT

SVITExperts :

copy everything except the videos

SVITExperts :

Then add them back one by one

Customer:

Yes, I've tried removing it and reinstalling the video.

Customer:

I have created a new, blank powerpoint. I've added the one video... I get the same error.

SVITExperts :

Do you have another user on the computer?

SVITExperts :

If not you can create one and test it

Customer:

I am the only user on this computer (my laptop).

Customer:

Are you saying you want me to log off and log on as a guest?

SVITExperts :

You can do that but you will need the files

Customer:

The files are on a flash drive. So, I should be able to access them.

SVITExperts :

You can use an external hard drive for those files.

SVITExperts :

OK

SVITExperts :

then please test it on Guest

SVITExperts :

Thanks

Customer:

This will break our connection. How will I reach you again?

SVITExperts :

Oh

Customer:

To be clear: you want me to create a new presentation or just test the existing powerpoint presentation?

SVITExperts :

First use the same one.

SVITExperts :

If not working, then create a new presentation

Customer:

How will I reconnect to give you the results?

SVITExperts :

Please save this page to your Favorites

SVITExperts :

Click Favorites and select Add to favorites

SVITExperts :

or Ctrl + D

Customer:

This page is saved. I'll now disconnect. OK?

SVITExperts :

OK

Customer:

I'm back.

Customer:

I created a new account with "user" privileges.

Customer:

Ran the test: error still appears

Customer:

Ran the test on a standalone version: error still returns.

Customer:

Its not a rights problem.

SVITExperts :

Thanks

SVITExperts :

The video plays with Windows Media Player?

Customer:

Yes ... the video plays perfectly on Windows Media Player. I'm an instructor and the video plays perfectly on the Windows XP machine at school. That being said, at school, I get the same error message in powerpoint.

SVITExperts :

Please try to make a copy of the video and try to add to the PPT file.

SVITExperts :

Seems like a converting/integrating issue.

Customer:

To be clear: you want me to copy the file and then embed the copied file into the presentation. Right?

SVITExperts :

Yes

Customer:

Done. I made a copy of the video and inserted the copy into the test presentation. Same result... "Playback error"

SVITExperts :

One moment

SVITExperts :

Please convert your video to .avi file and try to add to PPT file and see if it will give you the error.

Customer:

I just tested the "copy" ... it plays ok in Windows Media Player.

Customer:

Give me a moment to convert the file.

SVITExperts :

sure.

SVITExperts :

There is a work-around solution if this does not work.

SVITExperts :

1. Try opening the blank presentation >Save the presentation in PowerPoint in 97-2003 format (ppt) format > example : Test.ppt close the presentation.

2. Open the Test.ppt file and insert the video and check if it plays I bet it will play.

3. if you have any audio or video editing software make sure you uninstall them.

4. Restart the computer go to your original presentation and play the video from the presentation.

Customer:

I converted the .wmv file to a .avi format. I inserted the .avi file into the presentation... plays perfectly. No error message.

SVITExperts :

This is a known issue with PPT playing .wmv files

Customer:

I have tried the work around,and you are correct. It plays without error; however, I lose all my editing and formatting tools... which makes for a kludgy solution.

SVITExperts :

Yes so you will need to convert the problem files to a different format

SVITExperts :

Sorry but this is a codec issue with Powerpoint.

Customer:

Yes ... it is a known issue. I think it is a PowerPoint problem, but Microsoft won't admit to the problem.

SVITExperts :

MS are trying to address this issue.

SVITExperts :

On their forums people are working with the MS support to get a fix for this

Customer:

Do you have a web link to the forum?

Customer:

I have found posting on the Microsoft site, but have never found a message saying Microsoft is working on a fix.

SVITExperts :

Yes they won't admit it

SVITExperts :

But they are working on it through MS support team

SVITExperts :

No public access sorry

Customer:

<grin> Looks like I'm not the only person fussing about the problem to Microsoft.

SVITExperts :

Unfortunately yes

SVITExperts :

They will roll out update once they have this issue fixed

SVITExperts :

through Windows update

SVITExperts :

I am glad I could work with you on this issue.

SVITExperts :

Please click ACCEPT MY ANSWER and THE SMILEY FACE ONLY IF IT IS HELPFUL AND YOUR PROBLEM(S) SOLVED so I can get credit for this answer. I really appreciate if you can leave a Positive feedback.

If your issue is not resolved, feel free to ask me questions or let me know the situation.

Thanks and have a great day!

Customer:

As an aside, I've been working this problem for a while. I've also tried the link solution, but it makes portability of the presnetation a real pain (since the directory is never right)..

SVITExperts :

Yes. So I found that convert to another format will make it work.

Customer:

You are correct about the different format. My problem (not yours) is that the school machines don't have the codecs installed to run the .avi files; I'm stuck with .wmv

SVITExperts :

You can always download these on computer that missing codecs

SVITExperts :

and this

SVITExperts :

to convert

SVITExperts :

I know it's a pain to work around MS Office issues.

Customer:

You are once again correct, but on the school machine, I lack admin privileges to install anything.

Customer:

How much faith do you have in Codecs.com ... MS has all sorts of warnings about bad codecs sites.

SVITExperts :

I used them for almost 8 years. So they are very reliable.

Customer:

OK ... I'll give them a try.

SVITExperts :

Sure.

Customer:

Can I leave this ticket open until I tried downloading the codecs from codecs.com?

SVITExperts :

Yes you can.

SVITExperts :

Let me switch it to Question and Answer mode

Customer:

Thank you. I'll be back.

SVITExperts :

so you will get emails or send questions through emails as well.

SVITExperts :

You are welcomed.

SVITExperts :

Have a great day!

SVITExperts :

I am switching now...

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
OK. You can always come back here. You will get an email about this as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried running my PowerPoint 2010 presentation in PowerPoint 2007. In PowerPoint 2007, there was no "playback error". So, I have 2 questions:

1) is there a way to determine which, specific codecs is being used by PowerPoint 2010?

2) I am running Windows 7 Professional Edition in 64 bit mode with 32 bit Office 2010 installed. Would reinstalling Office 2010 as a 64 bit application would solve the problem of "playback error"?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your info. Was the PPT 2007 on a Windows 7 as well?

1) PPT 2010 uses the video codecs built-in with Windows 7.

2) Office 2010 64bit have the same issue as well. See link below.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/office2010/thread/9c0fca89-add2-4395-8d9c-31bdaa21d1d0

From most user reports with this error, most of them run Windows 64bit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1) I'm willing to look for the codecs. For WMV files, what extension will the codecs have? Will there be a single codecs? (I ask this because my next step is to search for a codecs that works by replacing the one that doesn't work).

2) Well, it is not an exact match, but it appears the 64 bit version of Office 2010 brings its own set of problems. OK... I won't try reinstalling office.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OH yes... the Office 2007 version of PowerPoint was running on Windows XP.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Have you installed the codec package that you gave you?

Codecs.com :: Download latest audio codecs, video codecs, codec .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I haven't downloaded the codec package(s) from CODECS.COM

There are many choices. I'm not familiar with all of these.

Which download should I choose?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I installed Klite The "playback error" still existsFrown. Can you think of anything else to try?
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
I am out of ideas. If you want, I will reopen your question to all experts. Someone might have an answer for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

CoolSure ... I like the idea of giving all the experts a chance before I give up. Thanks for the suggestion ... maybe we'll get lucky.

Yell Also, I rebooted my laptop (on the odd chance that the Klite install needed a reboot). I then ran the video through Microsoft Media Player and it worked perfectly. I then ran the powerpoint 2010 presentation and got the "playback error".

YellWhich tells me that the problem probably isn't the codecs. That leaves the PowerPoint 2010 software as the most likely suspect.

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 2 years ago.

I will try to pick up where your previous Expert left off. You have a lot of smily faces there, so hopefully you are happy (for now). This is the easiest way to insure that the video will play. Normally, Powerpoint doesn't use the same codecs as Windows Media Player (you know... Microsoft hates to make their software work with their other software), but there is a way to make this happen.

• In Normal view in PowerPoint, display the slide on which you want to play the animation.
  • Add the Developer tab to the ribbon:
    1. Click the File tab, and then click Options.
    2. In the Options dialog, select Customize Ribbon, from the Customize Ribbon section, check the Developer checkbox, and click OK.
  • On the Developer tab, click More Controls in the Controls group.

PowerPoint 2010: In the Options dialog box, click Customize Ribbon. In the Customize Ribbon section, click to select the Developer check box, and click OK.
  • In the list of controls, click Windows Media Player, click OK, and then drag on the slide to draw the control.
  • Resize the control by dragging the sizing handles.
  • Right-click the Windows Media Player object, and then click Properties.
  • On the Alphabetic tab, click the URL property.
  • In the value column, type the full drive path. Make sure that you include the file name or the URL that links to the movie file that you want to play.

An example of a file name is XXXXX XXXXX: C\:MyFile.aviNote The value column is the blank cell next to Movie.
  • Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good answerSmile I suspected that Microsoft used a different codecs for Windows Media player and PowerPoint 2010. So that makes sense.

SealedI tried this and it worked. You are correct... I can embed the media player in my PowerPoint presentation.

Frown the downside to this solution is the hardcoding of the directory. For instance, when I take my presentation on a flash drive to school, the presentation stops working because I'm pointing to the E: drive (whereas on my laptop, it's the K: drive). Yes, i can reconfigure the presentation on the fly.

EmbarassedIs there a way to detect which codecs is being used by PowerPoint? I'd like to be able to confirm the codecs to Microsoft support.

Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

That's going to take a little work to find out.

First, the paths - you should be able to use a relative path as long as they are on the same drive, than the asbolute path. For example ../folder. If I'm wrong about that, just let me know - it's been a while since I've done that.

BTW... I love your use of smily faces. It's pretty entertaining.

I can do the additional work with you to sort out the codecs. Would you mind opening a followup question for that? If you have a subscription, it doesn't cost additional, but it helps me to account for my time.

Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
    Experience: 20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, MCDBA, MCP, Microsoft Partner
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cool I surrender. At this point, I've devoted quite a bit of time to finding a solution. I've searched the Internet, Dell support, Microsoft forums, JustAnswer ... I've resigned myself to this being a hard nut to crack, and frankly, I'm tired of pounding on this nut.

SurprisedI'll try the relative path idea... that would be a good solution.

InnocentNot to fuss, but using the media player removes all my video editing capabilities... Good news: I have other software that edits videos, but my disappointment in Microsoft is great. Some of the posts are 2 years old! (MS doesn't seem interested in rushing into a solution.)

WinkGlad you like the smiley faces. My thanks for all the help.

I agree with your smiley-face points.

Microsoft as a Company is not likeable, IMHO. But they do have some good software (although bloated).

Not sure about the editing capabilities. I hadn't noticed, but I'm sure you are correct. And yes, about the posts... that's usually a big problem with finding a technical solution on the internet these days. You either find "your question is posted in the wrong group", "Hey, I have that problem, too" a dozen times with no answer, or just speculation. Information overload is a reality - that, along with search engine results polluted by advertising will eventually result in an internet that has to be re-imagined, I think. The more it's used, the less useful it becomes. Scary.