John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

I am having an issue with the vlookup formula that I am using.

I am having an issue with the vlookup formula that I am using. I have used it successfully on several occasions however, I am working with two different documents from two different sources and I am stumped on why I keep getting the #N/A value.

I have sorted the criteria, I have ensured the proper format and I have walked through each step of my formula and I cannot find the issue. I need help with this one.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Before I ask you to send the file could you please paste the formula here in your reply so I can check the syntax

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John,

The formula that I am using is

=vlookup(A28,'[incidents by vendor by day - dm.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A:$B,false)

Best regards,

Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Ok the column_index parameter is missing (i.e. 3rd parameter), assuming of course that that file exists.

Try this, then you can replace the "1" in the formula with the actual column index that you want to pull data from

=Vlookup(A28,'[incidents by vendor by day - dm.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A:$B, 1, false)

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the solution

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John,

I did specify the range and in this case it would be the value of 2 instead of 1. It still does not work.

=VLOOKUP(A28,'[incidents by vendor by day - dm.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A:$B,2,FALSE)

Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Ok try this

Type Joe in A28 in the current file

Then open the source file and type Joe in A5, and type Doe in B5

What does the formula return?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The formula returned the correct value for the look up.
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Ok that means the formula is correct and the problem is with your data, most likely it is not able to find an exact match. Try replying the False with True to see if catches the next match

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John,

I have tried Replacing the false with true and still does not work.

I have attempted to copy the text and conduct a search/find for values that I know are there with no luck. There aren't any issues with the spacing either.
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

There must be an issue with the data. The only way I can resolve this is for me to have both files so I can thoroughly check the data. I don't mind doing that but I think at this point you need to accept so I make sure I get paid for my work thus far. You can add bonus upon completion if you like

Let me know if you need help uploading the files

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please provide instructions on uploading the files.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have accepted the answer so that you are paid, I require the instructions to upload the files for review.

Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Yes, thanks. I sent you the instructions a while ago but apparently they did not get posted!

Here it is again

Please go to and upload the file there (no need to signup) then copy the "File ID" number (or the download link) that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

Let me know in which cell that formula is

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John,

Unfortunately I am getting error message 500 when I attempt to upload the files on the wiki site that you've referred me to.

Is there at another method that we can use to get the files over to you?

Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Ok try this site instead

Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Were you able to upload the file

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need your email address to be able to use that site. I will not be able to upload without it.
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

No you do not need to use the email box. Just click Browse, select your file, click Upload, then copy the download link that you will get and post here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok it's done, here's the link

Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

So where is the source file that the formula is pulling the data from?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's the second file that I included in the upload it's the first tab second column
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here's a second link for the source file

Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

I am looking at first file...

So the lookup table (source data) is in columns A and B on that sheet

And the formula is in cell D5 on the same sheet

And the name to look for is in A5 on the same sheet

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Actually no, thats from what we did earlier, disregard those cells.

The source data worksheet only has 2 columns in it. The sheet that I want to populate the data has column D.

Cell row 28 on the sheet that contains column D has the formula in it (E28) and its attempting to lookup the data on the second file I sent in column B (the sheet containing only two columns).
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Here you go

Ok the reason you are getting the #N/A! error is because no matches could be found and that is basically because the names on that sheet have leading spaces. I modified the formula so it will ignore these spaces

Here is the file with the formulas in the new yellow cells. Make sure the source file is open so the formulas can be pull the values

Attachment: 2012-04-02_201238_compiled_contact_center_and_agent_activity_summary_data_from_verizon1.xlsx

Hope this is ok.

Please make sure to remove the Neutral Feedback that you left me earlier which is not really fair or warranted.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you John for your help, I really appreciate it.
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome. Glad to help

(BTW to remove or replace the Neutral Feedback you can just a message to [email protected] simply just asking to remove it.)

Thanks again