MD.REHAN
MD.REHAN, Computer Support
Experience:  Engineer,2yrs+ exp as a software developer

Help!!!!! Not enough characters here to tell the whole story

Customer Question

Help!!!!!

Not enough characters here to tell the whole story (I already tried), but I'll do my best to give the truncated version with enough information to see if you can help.

I have a retail store with a POS (point-of-sale not piece of sh**, although I'm beginning to think it is) software program on a Win 7-32 with Office 2007. The software has a feature that enables it to print price labels with bar codes via MS Word mail merge onto an Avery or compatible label. That feature does not work on this machine--will call up and open Word but will not populate the labels. This feature DOES work on an identically configured machine using the trial version of the POS software. There's much involved with configuring each program to populate the labels, but I have done it successfully on the machine with the trail version. Works good. I also have the same set-up (with the trial-version POS) on a Win 7-64 machine, again with Office 2007, and it also works.

The software vendor customer service is no help at all. I don't think they have a clue either. They tell me it's because of the "drama with Microsoft" that I have to have "same-family" Office suites--Office 2003 for XP, Office 2007 for Vista, Office 2010 for Win7. Not so because it works with my set-up, and their requirements are for MINIMUM Word 2000. The POS software uses MS Access for the database, and I believe uses features from that to activate the Word mail merge.

The problem I believe is that on the two machines it works on, Office 2007 was installed and functioning prior to the install of the POS software. On the machine it does not work on, I built a new computer and installed Win 7-32 on it, and I installed the POS software BEFORE I installed Office 2007. I believe there is a registry entry created by the POS software that it's not letting Office 2007 change on an install-probably for Access. I've un-installed each program and re-installed, Office 2007 first, but that has not been successful probably because even with a complete uninstall, the crucial registry entries are not being removed. I've checked and double-checked a lot of commonalities including printers and other software, etc. No luck with this.

The POS software is POS Maid by Alexandria Computers (which I'm sure you know nothing about). I guess what I'm needing help with is either:

1. Point me to the registry entry likely for Access that will correct the inability to populate the labels (most un-likely scenario but certainly easiest for me to fix), or.....

2. Help me understand how to do a COMPLETE uninstall of both pieces of software, including registry entries, just short of a full-blown re-format of the hard drive, without having to do a bunch of software research for registry cleaners etc. I don't want to cherry-pick the registry entries, but don't mind if I know where to look.

If you need to know more, I've probably done it, but ask away.

Thank you!

Not asking much, am I? :)
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com

Step - 1
Please => click here <= to download a microsoft fix-it tool.After the download finishes, run the fix-it tool to remove microsoft office 2007 completely from your system.

Step - 2

Please => click here <= download revouninstaller pro(freeware).

After the download completes ,run and use revouninstaller pro to remove any existing version of POS already present in your computer.

Follow the steps below to delete all files related to POS using revouninstaller pro - :

1)Open Revo-uninstaller.

2)Right click on the entry (which has reference to POS),then select Uninstall.

3)Please use the scan option to remove the registry entries as well.

Note: Repeat this process for until you have removed all the files related to POS.

After that install ms-office 2007 and then POS in your system.

Tell me if it makes any difference to your problem.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK! That was fast. I won't be able to do this until sometime tomorrow afternoon. If I get lucky, I'll be able to do it this evening. Thank you for your quick response, and I'll let you know if I'm successful. Sounds like it might be.

Chuck

Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
No problem, take your time.

Keep me posted.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, unfortunately, that solution did not help my problem. However, I'm also not sure that everything was removed--as if it never existed on the machine. The reason I say this is because: 1. When I opened MS Word, the label I had to custom create was still in the label array--shouldn't have been. I also was not asked to activate the software, which I should have been. 2. When I opened Outlook, the .pst file was still in existance and opened as usual. 3. When I used the Revo-uninstaller (which I like btw) to remove the POS software, during that software's uninstall process, I got an error message that indicated a certain .dll file could not be removed. It stayed on the screen long enough for me to read, but not copy, and then disappeared. While using the Revo, it showed a .dll file that it had picked up, but I'm not certain they were the same name--actually more certain they were different names.

So, with that said, I'd like to go ahead and submit for your payment since you did what I asked you to do. But, before I do, can I still get to you because I'd like for you to put that big brain of yours to work on the problem and see what needs to happen (just short of a complete re-format/re-install) to fix the problem? I know it's a software issue because as I said, it works on two other machines both similar yet different.

I can't do any more on this today, so I'll have to do it tomorrow afternoon, but I want to play with the Revo some more. I may not have done everything in that correctly.

Thanks for your help so far.

Chuck

Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
Please click this link to download ripoutoffice2007 - http://tinyurl.com/26wql6r

After the download completes, run the tool to remove ms-office 2007 completely from your system.

After that use revouninstaller pro to check and remove any existing version of ms-office 2007 already present in your computer.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. Just one more question. Embarassed

Since I haven't yet had time to learn the Revo--when I first started it, it had a list of icons at the top basically showing all of the programs installed. I followed your directions and was able to remove the POS software to the best extent I believe it would. After the uninstall, I was prompted to remove two more files it "chased" down. Did that. How do I do that again? Once I clicked "finish," it was all gone and I could not figure out how to scan it again for the left-over pieces of the software

Thanks again.

Chuck

Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
Please click this link to download Everything search engine utility - http://tinyurl.com/cuh68t

After the download completes, run the downloaded file to install Everything in your system.

Everything is a search engine utility for PC. It will index your local and external NTFS drives for instant searching capability and shows every file and folder on your computer.

It can locate several more leftovers that Revo couldn't.

Use Everything utility to search for leftover entries of POS and ms office 2007.Then delete all the files having any reference to POS and ms office 2007 if you find any.

Please click the Accept button if it solves your problem else reply to help you further.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, I was able to completely remove Office 2007 and to the best of my knowledge, the POS software. Thank you for that. After re-install and complete update, it still won't populate the labels. How much do you know about Adobe Acrobat? The only other common thread between the two machines that the label population works on and this machine where it won't work, is Adobe Acrobat Pro 10. The two machines have it, the one machine has only Acrobat 9 standard. It shouldn't be a factor, but you never know. I know there's a lot of interplay when Acrobat is involved, and it might be what's up. The Acrobat Pro 10 is a 2-license copy, so I'll de-activate one and put it on that machine just to see. I really don't use it on my laptop like I thought I would, so I'm not hurting myself.

Unless you have any other ideas, I'll accept your answer so you can get paid. I'll wait to hear back from you.

Thanks for all you done on this.

Chuck

Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
Lets check whether any third party software is interfering or not.

Please boot up your computer in safe mode with networking and tell me if you are able to populate the labels in safe mode.

Follow the steps below to boot up your computer in safe mode with networking-:

Restart your computer and then immediately start tapping f8 key until the windows advanced bootmenu appears.Then select safe mode with networking using the arrow keys and then press enter.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Didn't think of that. That's why I hired you. Wink

I'll try that tomorrow. I do have Quickbooks on that one that I don't on the other two.

I'll let you know.

Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.

No problem, take your time.

Keep me posted.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. You're a genius.

2. I can't believe that I've been so fixated on what the other two had in common that I didn't look at this one to see what it had that the other two didn't and start in safe mode to see what happened. I'm feelin' a little silly right at the moment. Yell

Labels populate just as they're supposed to. So.........

I've examined both this system and my notebook (where the labels will populate). Other than this is x32 and my notebook is x64, they both have pretty much the same software and peripherals-aside from the Acrobat 10 pro vs the 9 standard I mentioned, and the addition of Quickbooks on this system that the others don't have. All have Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combos with unifying receiver and Setpoint 6.10.55 with driver 5.00.40.

Should I temporarily uninstall Quickbooks and see what happens or are you thinking something else?

Thanks

Chuck

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok. Now, I'm even more frustrated than before. Since I have time to kill before I close the store, I thought I'd play with the labels. They populate now in standard mode--just like they're supposed to. I can't stand this!!!!!!!YellEmbarassedSurprised (and however many more I need to add.)

I do not know what changed--I haven't adjusted anything, and I can't think that a start in safe mode to make it work changed a thing-but something changed.

So, I'll wait for you to reply, and then I'll accept the answer to pay you and give you one hell of a review.

Thanks for your guidance!

Chuck

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is getting crazier and crazier. While I thought the labels were populating--and they are--it's the same ones I did while in safe mode. I printed 10 labels to see if it would do it. It did. Then, when I restarted in normal mode, I just tried it, and it printed (previous e-mail). But, it was the same 10 labels because that was what was set up. So, I then began adjusting the print settings to get the labels right (which I had to do before on my notebook) and noticed things weren't changing. Then, I changed to a different inventory item and printed labels for that item--more labels and different item--and it printed the same 10 labels which had previously been printed.

I'm horribly confused now, and also waiting for an idea now.

This has got to be good entertainment for you.

Thanks

Chuck

Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
Go to start > control panel > appearance and personalization > display > then make sure that the circle next to smaller - 100% (default) is selected.

Then go to start > then type in msconfig in the start searchbox and press the Enter key > then click on the services tab > then click on the box next to hide all microsoft services > then click on apply > then OK

After that restart your computer and tell me if it makes any difference to your problem.

Thanks,
Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to say, there was a mistake in my previous answer.

Please follow the steps below :-

Then go to start > then type in msconfig in the start searchbox and press the Enter key > then click on the services tab > then click on the box next to hide all microsoft services > then click on the disable all button > then click on apply > then OK

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I knew what you were going in the previous instructions even though you left out the last step, and it's what I was going to do. Thanks for clarifying, and I'll get back with you tomorrow.

Thanks

Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
No problem, take your time.

Keep me posted.

Thanks! for you patience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No change at all. These are the processes that are left after hiding MS Services:

Adobe Flash Player Update Service

FLEXnet Licensing Service

Google Update Service (gupdate)

Google Update Service (gupdatem)

Google Software Updater

Logitech Bluetooth Service

QBCFMonitor Service

Intuit QuickBooks FCS

QBIDPService

SigmaTel Audio Service

Of these, all are stopped except:

QBCF Monitor Service

QBIDPService

Sigma Tel Audio Service

So, with that, I'm still thinking about the QuickBooks. While I'm waiting, I think I'll make a back-up and un-intall using the software you turned me on to.

Thanks,

Chuck

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

FYI--removal of QuickBooks changes nothing. Frown

It was worth a shot and didn't take long.

Thanks,

Chuck

Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
Which web browser you use to access your emails ?

Internet explorer/firefox/chrome etc.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I use IE, version 9 (I think--might be 8). But again, it's just like on my laptop. Whatever is current, I tend to make all things equal. Are you thinking I maybe need to disable some add-ons and see what happens?

Thanks

Chuck

Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.

If its IE 9 then we will roll back to IE 8.

Please follow the steps below -:
Go to Start menu > Control Panel > Under Programs click on Uninstall a Program link > Then click on view installed update link (left) > Scroll down and find Windows Internet Explorer 9 under Microsoft windows section> then just single click on Windows Internet Explorer 9 and then click on the uninstall button at the top

After that restart your computer .

Regards!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The copy of Windows 7 I installed on this machine is a pretty recent one and comes inherrent with IE 9--can't just uninstall. So, I tried to find IE 8 for Windows 7, and best I can tell, it's not out there any more. That doesn't mean it's not on a freeware/shareware site, but not on Microsoft. I'm still looking. In the meantime, I "turned off" the IE 9 Windows feature and tried to populate the labels without ANY internet browser actively function on the system. No luck. While you're chewing on this, I'm going to re-boot in safe mode and see if I can figure out what processes are running-understanding it will be minimal-and what are not and try to pinpoint the issue a little better.

Thanks,

Chuck

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. I lied--sort of. My Windows 7 does have IE8. I looked under installed updates once, and didn't see IE 9 listed. After all of the other stuff I said in my previous e-mail, I went back and looked under installed updates again, and saw it this time. I uninstalled and am back to IE 8, but no difference. I can work from safe mode. I don't get it. I've never had this much trouble chasing something down.

I'm about ready to call it done. I'll just switch to safe mode when I need to print labels. It's not an every-day thing, so it wouldn't be a big crisis.

Thanks,

Chuck

Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
When running POS software, press ctrl key + shift key + esc key all together.

Task manager will open.Then click on the processes tab and tell me what programs are running.

for example - messengers, anti-virus, download managers etc.

Please also change your screen resolution to 1024 * 768.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Changed the screen resolution to 1024*768. Not following this, but I'm going with it. Didn't make a difference, but hey, I'll try anything at this point. Smile

Here's the processes running with the POS software running. They are in order from the list, listed here left to right. There's a bunch.

Simptcp SamSs Power PlugPlay DcomLaunch hpqddsvc hpqcxs08

HPSLPSVC WinHttpAutoProxySvc WdiServiceHost nsi netprofm

EventSystem SSDPSRV FontCache FDResPub wscsvc lmhosts

eventlog Dhcp Audiosrv MpsSvc DPS BFE wudfsvc WdiSystemHost

UxSms TrlcWks SysMain PcaSvc Netman hidserv CscService

AudioEndpointBuilder Wsearch WMPNetworkSvc wlidsvc TrustedInstaller

STacSV Spooler QBVSS QBCFMonitorService PML Driver HPZ12

NisSrv Net Driver HPZ12 MsMpSvc MDM BBUpdate BBSvc wuauserv

Winmgmt Themes ShellHWDetection SENS Schedule ProfSvc

LanmanServer iphlpsvc IKEEXT gpsvc Browser BITS AeLookupSvc

NlaSvc LanmanWorkstation Dnscache CryptSvc Policy Agent RpcSs

PpcEptMapper

I hope this turns out for you. There is an approximate tab space between each service as I have it listed, again line by line left to right. Some of the service names have a single space between the words but that is one service.

I was also running Microsoft Security Essentials and/or Windows Defender because I do not have a virus software on this machine. It doesn't spend much time on the internet, so I chose to use that for now. I disabled all of that and rebooted this morning on the off-hand chance that was my interruption, and that didn't change anything either. As I said, I'm done. But, I'll wait for you reply.

Thanks,

Chuck

Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.

The above mentioned are the default settings for your POS software.

MD.REHAN, Computer Support
Experience: Engineer,2yrs+ exp as a software developer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've done all that, and it doesn't make one bit of difference. The default screen resolution, best I can tell, is a minimum for them. My notebook screen resolution is 1366*768, and it works. I have a 22" HD monitor at work, and it's at the same setting as my notebook, and it works. There's something interfering with the label population on that particular machine and I, nor you, can find it. It's an anomaly. I really appreciate all the suggestions you've made, but I'm tired of messing with it. Yesterday, I rebooted in safe mode, printed labels, and reverted back to regular mode. It took all of 2 minutes for those two processes. It's a pain in my butt, but I can live with that until I stumble on to the issue-which I will at some point. At least I can do it without having to drag my notebook around with me every time I go to the shop.

Again, thank you for all of you suggestions and direction. I couldn't have done it without your guidance.

Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
Glad! to hear that you felt I was helpful.

You have a lot of patience....much appreciated.

Thanks! for using justanswer.com

Regards!