beetleitbfdr, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Working with computers for more than 12 years

cannot get a recovered document to open in microsoft office

Customer Question

cannot get a recovered document to open in microsoft office 10. Keep getting meesage saying unsupported file type.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  beetleitbfdr replied 4 years ago.
Which Anti Virus program are you using ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mcafee Total Protection
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How to recover asd document in word 10

You can try these steps in repairing your document: I would suggest using a different anti virus program like AVG, Avast or Avira there all free and great protection, Mcafee doesn't stop all of the threats or virusses i have been working with it for years. There are virusses which can change the documents file extension even rename and duplicate the ducument thats why i'm suggesting another anti virus program.

As with earlier versions of Office, enabling AutoRecover in Word 2010, Excel 2010 or PowerPoint 2010 will save versions while you are working in your file at the interval you select. Now, you can choose to keep the last autosaved version of a file in case you accidentally close that file without saving, so that you can restore it the next time that you open the file. Also, while you are working in your file, you can access a listing of the autosaved files from the Microsoft Office Backstage view.

Important You must have Save AutoRecover information... and Keep the last autosaved version if I close without saving enabled for these features to work. To learn more about these options and how to set them up, see Automatically save and recover Office files.

Try changing the .asd extension to .docx

In Windows Explorer, select and right-click on the filename, choose 'Rename' and change .asd to .docx.

Please let me know if it helped