John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

Hi, I am trying to create a consecutively numbered column

Hi, I am trying to create a consecutively numbered column with a suffix where the suffix stays the same and the number before it changes.

For example, I need it to look like this:
R000501 17
R000502 17
R000503 17
R000504 17

I tried to use "fill series", but the suffix is the one that changes. Is there a way I can do this without having to add the suffix to each one? I have 5000 consecutive numbers and this will take a lot of time. Please help me find a faster way.

Thanks,
Tracie
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tracie,

Here is how to accomplish that

- Type R000501 in the first cell of an empty column, say cell A1

- Drag cell A1 using the handle at the bottom right corner of the cell frame. Drag it down to say cell A100

- Now In cell B1 paste this formula as it is

=A1&" "&"17"

- Use Fill Down command to fill this formula down cell B1 to the last row, say B100

- Finally select column B, copy it, then right click on the selection, choose Paste Special , and select Values

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the solution

John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are a life saver!! Two more questions... Can I use this formula in the same file for different columns, only substituting the column and suffix info? and Can I use this formula using a letter instead of a number as the suffix?
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Great! Thanks

Yes, and yes

Just make sure the first formula is placed in the same row where the first code is located, and the formula should refer to that first cell

Hope this helps

John D, Bachelor's Degree