Travis
Travis, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have 12 years of experience in the IT field.
19765367

How do I stop text from moving other text forward in Microsoft

How do I stop text from moving other text forward in Microsoft Word?
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you,

Please explain your issue in more detail
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a rental application in Word. Each line has 2 or three questions like "Name", "phone #" etc... on it. When I type an answer in it naturally moves all the text in front of it forward causing it to mess up the formatting or jump to a 2nd line. How do I set it so that doesn't happen?
You cannot set it to change that - The person who created the form either did not intend for you to type the answers (They wanted you to print out the form and fill it out with a pen) or they did not realize you cannot type on the line without moving it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I created the form?
Thank you for the reply but it still does not change my previous answer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
"Expert" did not read or understand question correctly.

Click the "insert button" ON YOUR KEYBOARD

that will cause it to type over the text in front of it rather than in front of it.

Its a toggle switch pushing insert will switch from insert to over type or back depending on which it was doing before

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi. I don't want to type over the text in front. I just don't want the text in front to move forward when something is typed behind it. For example, I have a question that says "Do you have any pets?", then there is a blank space of 2 or 3 inches and then another question that says "If so, what kind of pet?" and then another blank space of 2 or three inches etc. When I click on the document to answer the first question, lets say the answer is "yes", as I type the word YES it moves the next question ("If so what kind?") forward by 3 spaces or the length of what ever answer I entered for the first question. How do I stop text from moving forward when text behind it is typed in?
The way you are creating the document does not allow you to type on the line. Since the "line" is not a line (It is like another character such as a letter) it will push it to the right each time you type on it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So what is the correct way to create te document
You can either purchase Adobe Acrobat and create a fill-in PDF file or you can use a website such as https://www.fillanypdf.com/
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know I don't have to do that. I have seen a word document formatted that way before. I know it is possible to do.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Can anyone out there help with this? I know its possible as I have seen it done. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer~! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you with your question.

Use the forms toolbar and insert fields. Here is a good article.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/create-forms-that-users-complete-or-print-in-word-HA101848148.aspx

If you found my answer helpful please click accept so I may be compensated for my time. Positive feedback and tips are always appreciated. Thanks, Travis

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Travis. I'm not looking for form fields as I need to do a merge and import data from an Excel document (which I know how to do). What I don't know how to do is to stop text from moving forward when something is typed in behind it. Example:

Name: Date: Age:

When the name is XXXXX XXXXX it moves the Date and Age fields forward like this:

Name: XXXXX XXXXX Date: Age:

I want it to look and stay like this:

Name: XXXXX XXXXX Date: Age:

I know this is possible to do without fields as I have seen it done before. I'm not sure if they were using tab stops or what but I know it is possible. Please help if you have the solution. Thanks!

Tab stops will work, however you still need to leave room for the data to be entered. In your example above there is only a couple spaces between Name: Age: Date:. Regardless of how you set up the form you will need to have space in between to allow room for data entry. If you can upload the form I can see if the tab stops do work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, how do I upload the form?
You can use www.mediafire.com and post the link here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, the file has been uploaded. Thanks
Sorry, after you upload the file, copy the link and past the link here so I can download it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok, sorry. Here it is.

http://www.mediafire.com/?l3fm14t3ubfmo43

Got, it I'll see what I can do with it and let you know.

The tab stops will work as long as there is enough room between fields for the data. I would still add the form fields for easy click and type entry. Here is a link to a file I modified. I just did the first couple of lines.

http://www.mediafire.com/?m2ijmun3m1efxru

Travis, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: I have 12 years of experience in the IT field.