Molinari, MS Office Tech
Experience:  Certified IT Guru

I have Outlook 2010 downloaded on a new computer (my old computer

I have Outlook 2010 downloaded on a new computer (my old computer used Outlook Express)--how can I change settings so that the red X's will go away and pictures in emails will show up? I always clean up my temp files. How do I get to "tools" in Outlook 2010--I think that is where I need to go to change settings? When I get an email that has a picture, I can click on the "download pictures" and the picture shows up, but, I do not want to do that for every email.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Try this:

1. Click the File tab.
  2. Click Options.
  3. Click Trust Center.
  4. Under Microsoft Outlook Trust Center, click Trust Center Settings.
  5. Clear the Don't download pictures automatically in HTML e-mail messages or RSS items check box.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK--thanks--I believe that is working--now I have another problem with Outlook. I must have changed something. Now when I am on the "home" tab and am looking at "inbox", I press "delete" button to get rid of the email and then the "ribbon" at top goes automatically back to the "file" tab and I lose the ribbon that has the "delete" button. I then have to go back to "home" tab and repeat that whole process. Outlook was not doing that yesterday--it would stay on "home" if I selected that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I added a second problem--did you get that?
Did that start happening after changing the trust center picture setting?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no--I did change a setting about "deleting" the "deleted items"--I want all "deleted items" to "go away" from the "deleted folder" once they are put in there--hope you understand what I am saying--could that setting change affect this problem?
That shouldn't do it..., Change it back temporarily and see, but I doubt that's doing it.
How long has it been happening?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It just started doing that today--I had over 1500 items in "deleted" folder--I changed a setting so that they would automatically be deleted after bing put there. I will try and "undo" that now.
Ok, let me know what happens....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is still doing that--once I use the delete button, the ribbon switches to the "file" tab. I did "undo" the changes I made under "file"--"info"--"mailbox cleanup"--I answered "NO" this time to the question about deleting all messages.
Ok, try a system restore to the time before this started happening, then see if it stil happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK--I will try that and let you know later--I really appreciate your solution to the red x problem--I think that is now ok--I will keep working on the "ribbon" problem and do a system restore if necessary.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The "home"tab is now staying on--yea! I clicked on the "file" tab and changed something and everything is now working. Thanks. I did NOT have to do a system restore--I must have changed the top ribbon somehow. I have been working on the red x problem for 3 days now--I was even reading a solution that involved going into the registry--I do not want to fool with that. Your solution was "right on target".