Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

My office just bought two HP Pavilion HPE desktop systems running

Customer Question

My office just bought two HP Pavilion HPE desktop systems running MS Office and Windows 7. When we try to go to almost any web site such as amazon or american airlines, we cannot get past the home page. We have turned off our firewalls to no avail. Ideas?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, welcome to JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today.

If you are using Internet Explorer as your web browser, then this problem could be related to your Internet Explorer web browser. First, please RESET your IE Settings:

HOW TO RESET YOUR INTERNET EXPLORER SETTINGS
1. Exit all open programs
2. Launch Internet explorer
3. Click on Tools menu
4. Click on Internet Options
5. Click the Advanced tab
6. Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset.
7. Then in the message that pops up, click Reset button again to confirm the action.
8. When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.
9. Start Internet Explorer again.

Another way to RESET the IE Settings is through Control Panel.

1. Click Start => Control Panel
2. Locate and click to open Internet Options (If you do not have the Internet Options listed, locate the "View by" selection and see if it is set to Category. Click on it then select SMALL ICONS.
3. When the Internet Options dialog box is shown, click on the ADVANCED tab
4. Look for the RESET button at the bottom part and then click on it.
5. Another window will pop out, click on RESET in that window.
6. Click on Apply
7. Click OK to close
8. Test Internet Explorer again

IMPORTANT: If the problem persists, please try to download, install and use Firefox as an alternative browser. Firefox is FREE. It is a better, safer and faster web browser. Please click on this link to download Firefox:

http://firefox.com

After downloading, install Firefox and use it to browse your sites online then see if the problem is gone.

I hope you find my answer helpful. If you do, please Accept and leave a positive feedback if you are satisfied. A bonus is always greatly appreciated.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

If the problem is NOT solved, please do not leave a negative feedback. Instead, post a REPLY so that we can continue further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Tried both the reset as well as the Firefox download and got the same result. Also, some photographs in Facebook do not show up. This is remaining consistent on both new systems.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No answer yet?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for writing back. I am sorry for the late reply, I am from a different time zone.

Are the web browsers able to browse past the home page of other websites? What about going to http://google.com and then doing a search there, is it giving you search results?

This is to isolate the issue as being the web browser OR the website that you are browsing itself.

Also, has this computer worked fine before and just encountered the problem recently?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Computer is just two days out of box without any additional software loaded. Home pages are not an issue, it is when you try to go deeper into the site such as in Amazon "View My Cart". It will never let you get to see what is in your cart. Same with American Airlines, you can get on home page, but if you try to look at your individual reservations, you are blocked. This is on both new HP's right out of the box.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 5 years ago.
Is this happening on both Internet Explorer and Firefox?

Please try to install Abode Flash Player if it is not yet installed. Please click on this link:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

In that page, just uncheck the portion that installs McAfee Security Scan Plus so that only Flash Player will be installed. Then follow the on screen procedures.

After installing Flash Player, please restart your browser then check if the problem is gone.

If the problem persists, please try to open Firefox in Safe Mode and see if the problem is gone in Firefox. To do so:

Click Start => Search
Type there: Firefox
Do not press Enter
Just wait for the results to show up
If you see Firefox (Safe Mode), then click on it
If on Firefox is shown, press the CTRL key and hold, then click on Firefox
A pop up then appears that you are trying to open Firefox in Safe Mode
Click OK or YES to confirm the action
When Firefox is now in Safe Mode, test if the problem is gone.

If the problem still persists, please check your internet bandwidth.

You may test your bandwidth speed at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Then tell me your Upload speed and your Download speed so that we will know if it is the cause of the problem, not your browser.

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jess:
Good job! It was as stupid and simple as installing Adobe. We weren't getting any notification from the web sites regarding this, and completely overlooked the obvious! Thanks for your efforts!!!!!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 5 years ago.
Cool! I am glad that your issue is now resolved after installing Adobe. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com.

Should you need computer-related assistance in the future, you can ask me directly from THIS LINK.

Best regards,
Jess