Travis
Travis, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have 12 years of experience in the IT field.

Locked by Customer Service

Customer Question

Hi, I am trying to use relative hyperlinks between Excel spreadsheet cells and other files in the same folder, so I can use it on a flash drive without specifying the drive. I am using Windows 7 and Office 10. Even though I exclude the drive path it doesn't work saying it cannot find the file. Can you please advise me how to structure the address on the hyperlink. Thank you Colin xxxx
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Cynt replied 2 years ago.

cvd4311 :

There are a few ways to do this. The bottom one I have put in with pics for Excel.

Create a hyperlink to a new file:

1. Right-click the cell or graphic you want to represent the hyperlink, and then click Hyperlink on the shortcut menu.
  2. Under Link to on the left side of the dialog box, click Create new document.
  3. Type a name for the new file in the Name of new document box.
  4. To specify a location other than the one shown under Full Path, type the new location in the Name of new document box or click Changeand then select the location you want. Click OK.
  5. Under When to edit, click an option to specify whether to open the new file for editing now or later.
  6. To assign a tip to be displayed when you rest the pointer on the hyperlink, click ScreenTip and then type the text you want in theScreenTip text box. Click OK.

Create a hyperlink to an existing file or web page:

1. Right-click the text or graphic you want to represent the hyperlink, and then click Hyperlink on the shortcut menu.
  2. Under Link to on the left side of the dialog box, click Existing File or Web page.
  3. Do one of the following:
    • To select a file from the current folder, click Current Folder and then click the file you want to link to.
    • To select the Web page from a list of browsed pages, clickBrowsed Pages and then click the Web page you want to link to.
    • To select a file from a list of files you have recently used, clickRecent Files and then click the file you want to link to.
    • If you know the name and location of the file or Web page you want to link to, you can type that information in the Address box.
    • To select the Web page by opening your browser and searching for the page, click Browse the Web [IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE], open the Web page you want to link to, and then switch back to Microsoft Excel without closing your browser.
  4. To assign a tip to be displayed when you rest the pointer on the hyperlink, click ScreenTip and then type the text you want in theScreenTip text box. Click OK.

You can also go to this site and read about create and manage links to other workbooks (if that is what you need): http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/create-and-manage-links-to-other-workbooks-HA001054812.aspx

Or you can do this for excel:

How to Insert Hyperlinks in Excel

You can place Hyperlinks in the cells on your spreadsheet. To quickly go to a different worksheet or workbook, you would simply click the link. We'll see how to do that now.

• Click inside of cell A1 of a new spreadsheet
  • From the Excel Ribbon, click the Insert tab
  • From the Insert tab, locate the Links panel
  • Click on Hyperlink

When you click the Hyperlink item, you'll see the following dialogue box appear:

Insert Hyperlink
Full Size Image

We're going to create a link to another worksheet in this same spreadsheet. So, underLink to on the left, click on "Place in This Document".

JACUSTOMER-e8q2zvlo- :

Hi Cynt

JACUSTOMER-e8q2zvlo- :

Hi Cynt,

JACUSTOMER-e8q2zvlo- :

Please bear with me, I''m not the quickest. Let me specific and you can tell me the option to follow.

JACUSTOMER-e8q2zvlo- :

I have an Excel spreadsheet containing an index of names of groups of photographs. In the same directory I have lots of folders containing groups of photographs. I want to hyperlink each name in the spreadsheet to the correct folder of photographs, or to a specific photograph within a folder.

JACUSTOMER-e8q2zvlo- :

Using the C:\ I can make it work perfectly. But I want to put the whole on a flash drive so I can transport the index and photographs o other computers. This is where I want help. How to make it work without specifying a drive or location. I understood this to be the relative address but I can't make it work.

JACUSTOMER-e8q2zvlo- :

Sorry I have to go out now and fetch the kids from school. How can I keep in touch so you can resolve it for me as I'm sure you can. Please keep it simple.

JACUSTOMER-e8q2zvlo- :

Colin

JACUSTOMER-e8q2zvlo- :

Hi Cynt,

JACUSTOMER-e8q2zvlo- :

Are you working on my problem?

JACUSTOMER-e8q2zvlo- :

Regards,

JACUSTOMER-e8q2zvlo- :

Colin xxxxx

40982.933983831
Expert:  Cynt replied 2 years ago.

Sorry it took me so long to reply but we had technical difficulities. To do that you would follow these instructions:

3. Do one of the following:

• To select the Web page by opening your browser and searching for the page, click Browse the Web , open the Web page you want to link to, and then switch back to Microsoft Excel without closing your browser.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Cynt, Thank you for coming back to me. I am familiar with the normal ways to set up a hyperlink between Excel and a file in the same directory on a hard drive. If you create a hyperlink linking an Excel file and a destination file from the same directory it automatically picks up the drive letter and includes in it in the path. I'm advised there is a way, using a relative address, and provided both files are in the same location you do not have to set the path merely set the file name and it works. This means that I should be able to save both my Excel and the photo files on a Flash Drive and be able to plug it into another computer and use the Excel Index file to display the photographs from the Flash Drive regardless of what port it was plugged in. In the article I read it stated 'In a Microsoft Excel workbook unspecified paths to hyperlink destination files are by default relative to the location of the active workbook. You can set a different base address to use by default so that each time you create a hyperlink to a file in that location you'll only have to specify the the file name not the path in the Insert Hyperlink diolog box' I'm trying to get this option to work. Regards Colin xxxx
Expert:  Cynt replied 2 years ago.
I am going to have to opt out of this one because I am only familiar with what I posted. I will repost so that another expert can come online to help you.
Expert:  Cynt replied 2 years ago.
I am trying to repost but it will not let me. Could you close out this quesiton and repost?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Cynt Do I have to start all over again? Colin xxxx
Expert:  Cynt replied 2 years ago.
Yes , just close out this ticket and repost your question. It will not let me close it out or opt out. You should be able to opt me out by yourself. But not sure how you do it because I am not on your end of it.
Expert:  Travis replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer~! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X would like to assist you with your question.

http://www.mediafire.com/?s3e7a5pa0po3b5s

Here is an example excel file with some pictures. This is how the folder structure is.

Excel Folder
-----Pictures Folder

-----Excel File

(Excel) folder, inside it is an excel document, and a (pictures) folder. When you open the excel file, there are 3 hyperlinks to the pictures folder and files inside them. If you right click the hyperlink and edit hyperlink it will give you a folder structure. I will look something like this: Hyperlink1 - pictures\picture1.jpg Hyperlink2 - pictures\picture2.jpg and so on. You can move this folder and all it's contents anywhere and open the excel file and the hyperlinks will work. There is not a path to any drive letters. Download the file and unzip it to your desktop and take a look.

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Travis,

I tried the link to the web and got nothing but adverts and cars for prizes. I couldn't see your example. Couldn't you just email me the files.

Colin
Expert:  Travis replied 2 years ago.
We don't allow contact via email unfortunately. If you click the link right in the middle of the screen it says excel.zip and right below it says download. There are ads all around it, but it is ok to download the file. Just download and unzip to your desktop.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Travis, Sorry it doesn't work. If you give me your email address I will send you images of the Worksheet, the hyperlink edit and the error to substantiate my claim. Copy your files to someone else's machine and try it. I have been on the internet and found it to be a common problem. The solution lies in changing the Base Address. I tried their solution and it works. If you're interested I will email you the hyperlink that works. Please don't waste any more time on it. Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Travis replied 2 years ago.
Copied my folder to another machine and it works fine. Well as long as you got it working.