Pieter
Pieter, Computer Specialist
Experience:  More than 16 years IT experience.
61204431

RA - 330

Customer Question

HELP!! My Gateway computer is using Vista with Windows 7? I use Microsoft Publisher 98 to design different projects. In Publisher, I have saved Ladybug.pub, Ladybug2.pub, and Ladybug3.pub. Yesterday, I had Ladybug2 on my screen and wanted to copy something from Ladybug.pub. I miinimized Ladybug2.pub and I opened Microsoft Publisher in a new screen, clicked on Ladybug.pub to open it, and the screen went blank - it disappearred. Ladybug2 was still minimized at the bottom of the screen, but Ladybug.pub had totally disappeared. I can't find it anywhere. Ladybug2 and Ladybug3 are still in Publisher. I know it is in my computer somewhere. My computer ran a backup last night, so it's not on the current backup. Any idea where on my computer I might find my Ladybug.pub? Thank you in advance for your help. This file has about 35 pages of preschool material I am working on for a friend's daycare. Thanks
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Danielle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I still need an answer to my question. 35 pages lost is a lot of work to redo. It's not on my backup that I can locate. I don't know where to start? I am 68 years old and computer answers need to be in simple form as I don't know much about these machines. Thanks! An expert would be very much appreciated. Katy

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Expert:  Pieter replied 2 years ago.
Hello

I am an independent computer expert from South Africa here to assist.

If you already looked inside 'Recycle bin' and do not see it there, then we can assume that the file was permanently deleted.

The best way would be to run recovery software that can scan the computer for deleted files, and help you to undelete them.
http://www.runtime.org/ has recovery software that will work on Windows Vista. Please click on the 'NTFS' link under the 'GetDataBack' heading to download it.

Here is a direct link.
http://www.runtime.org/gdbnt.zip

It is best not to save the file to the save drive where you stored the Ladybug.pub file, as any new files created on the hard drive will use the space used by the deleted files, removing any possibility of recovering it. If you have another hard drive, then install it to that drive. You should also be able to install it to a memory stick, or other removable drive.

Then start the program when the installation completes, and do a scan.
It will list all the recently deleted files.

Let me know how that goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have seen the files in crash dump but when I click on them it says it cannot be opened. I select Microsoft Publisher 97 to open, and still it doesn't work. How do I get at them other an running a recovery? I am afraid if I run anything they will disappear. If you can help I would appreciate it. Katy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you think I can retrieve the lost files, if I purchased an updated version of Microsoft Publisher? I cannot lose these files. Under crash dumps, it says MSPub.EXE.5236 d... The bar says, Katy AppData Local CrashDumps.

Does this information help you any? Katy

Expert:  Pieter replied 2 years ago.
MSPub.EXE.5236 is a dump file containing the error report.

There are recovery tools available for publisher, but we need to find the lost .pub file, which contains all your data.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You need to know I am 68 years old and not familiar with computers. You still recommend running the recovery from runtime? You don't think a new version would solve the problem? I am really nervous about this computer stuff. I am out of my league.

Katy

Expert:  Pieter replied 2 years ago.
The new version of the program will still need the Ladybug.pub file before it can open it.

See if you can find files with the word Ladybug. in it.

Go to your start menu, then click 'Computer'
Double click on 'Local Disk (C:)'
Then type:
Ladybug.
into the search box at top right, and press enter.

The program normally creates a backup file of the main .pub file, while it is being edited.
Let me know if you find anything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tons of ladybug files, including ladybug2, ladybug3, ladybug5, ladybug6, But no plain ladybug. Katy
Expert:  Pieter replied 2 years ago.
The recovery software will be the only alternative.

It works the same as the search that you just did, except that it looks for files that are unlinked. This means that the first letter of the file name will be _ or ?
Then just click on _adybug.pub or ?adybug.pub and click recover, which will ask you to rename it, then replace the L, and restore it.

If that also doesn't find the file, then it was over-written by changes to the drive.

It isn't possible to recover the data, without the ladybug.pub file.

Perhaps someone else has more experience with MS publisher 98 crashes.
I will opt out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try the recovery you suggested. If that doesn't work -- I guess I am screwed! I really appreciated your help very much. It is amazing we can communicate from Minnesota to South Africa on the computer. Have a wonderful day! Katy

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried the suggestion, and they want another $79 to open the file. I don't know if it's the file I am looking for? Is there someone who knows Microsoft Publisher backwards and forwards? I cannot afford anymore money on this - my social security won't handle the expense. Please let me know if you can help. Thanks Katy
Expert:  Pieter replied 2 years ago.
There are free tools available, but they are are not as nice as GetDataBack.

Do you see the filename in the list?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see a file with a 3/6/2012 date. It is just a bunch a numbers before it. Who knows what is in it. I guess I am rather suspicious of these programs including JustAnswers. Just my old age I guess. I can go into the program and write down the whole series of numbers if you think you can determine if it's the ladybug.pub? Katy
Expert:  Pieter replied 2 years ago.
Here is a free tool that can do the same - http://sourceforge.net/projects/freerecover/

Don't recover files with filenames that you do not recognize.
Look for a file with a name ladybug.pub or the closest thing to it.

It will not change the file name to a bunch of numbers when you delete it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went back to GetDataBack and ran the harddrive backup and found nothing with the name ladybug. There was KatyPC, Recycle Bin, Windows, etc. I'll the sourceforge.net/projects/reerecover/ next. Thanks Katy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ran the sourceforge.net, software, all kinds of ladybugs came up. But, the ones named just laldybug had overwrite behind them. When I tried restoring them, Publisher said it could not open the page. I guess I am a lost cause. Please remove me from any further help. I appreciate the help you gave me! Thanks! Katy