webpagesby22
webpagesby22, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have over eight years of supporting microsoft office.

Powerpoint 2010 will not allow .mov files to be inserted onto

Customer Question

Powerpoint 2010 will not allow .mov files to be inserted onto a slide. It starts to insert the .mov then Powerpoint restarts. Avi files will insert correctly.
Outside of Powerpoint, the .mov will play through Quicktime if I double click on the .mov file.
I just installed Office 2010.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  lifesaver_333 replied 2 years ago.

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

Welcome to Justanswer

Customer:

Try embedding the .mov file

Customer:

1. In Normal view, click the slide in which you want to embed a video.

2. On the Insert tab, in the Media group, click the arrow under Video, and then click Video from file.

3. In the Insert Video dialog box, locate and click the video that you want to embed, and then click Insert.

Customer:

Let me know the results.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is what I have been doing to try to insert my .mov into the Powerpoint slide.

Like I said, Powerpoint tries to insert the file then says it is closing down

Powerpoint doesn;t natively support .mov files.Check the link below for list of supported formats

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint-help/compatible-multimedia-file-formats-HA001230325.aspx

But after installing quicktime it should work fine in your case.

Anyway we will try a different solution.TRy converting the .mov file to .avi format and then importing it to powerpoint

Install Quicktime and Rad Video Tools.

Launch Rad Video Tools

1. Select the Quick Time File you want to encode
2. Click on "Convert a file"

1. Select under "Output type..." the type "Avi-File" and click on browse to select the output dir/file
2. Hit Convert.

1. Now RAD Video Tools aks you for the compression format. I prefer Pic Video MJPEG Codec with quality 20 because it take not much webspace and have good quality, but you can of course use another.

Now you have the AVI File. IMport it to powerpoint/

Regards.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have file converters for audio and video that work already, so I can do that already.

I know that PPT 2010 can play .mov files because I have another PC that can do it.

I have tried the same .mov in that other computer and it embeds in the PPT slide with no problem.

So I am looking for solutions to specifically get the .mov files working because I have alot of them and don't want to always have to convert them

Expert:  webpagesby22 replied 2 years ago.

Did you make sure that you have quicktime installed on your computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I have quicktime installed on my computer. I am going to reinstall to see if any addins need to be connected to the new version of office.

Also check here to make sure all plugins are enabled

Click the File tab. The Microsoft Office Backstage view opens.
Under Help, click Options; the Options dialog box appears.
Click Trust Center, then click Trust Center Settings.
In the Trust Center, click Add-ins.
Select or clear the options that you want.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So far all these suggestions are things that have I had already checked and did not solve the problem. I think I will just use my file converters to convert the .mov files to ones that will embed into the slides. Not the desired outcome but this troubleshooting is taking too much of my time. Thanks for the effort but my problem has not been solved.
Ok. Thanks for your patience