Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Trained in Microsoft Office from 2000 through to latest version 2010.
65126503

I have a word 10 document that is infected with Chinese characters.

Customer Question

I have a word 10 document that is infected with Chinese characters. How can I delete the characters and restore the document? In some cases, the highlight and delete won't work.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue. Have you tried using the Find & Replace feature to find examples of these characters and then replace them with spaces?

Let me know if that has any effect on the issue

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve -

I don't know if you received my last reply.

I can not copy the string. It may have something to do with formatting. I could send you a copy of an infected page.

Thanks, if you could send a copy that would be great. Can you go to http://wikisend.com and upload the file? Then you just need to let me know the download ID or attach the link here.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve -

I think I downloaded the document -

http://wikisend.com/download/104970/Comments_bjm_BSR_Guide_Master_v4_0_02172012.doc

I think the problem is even more evident when you go into the final version with comments section.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Steve was working with me last night when I had to leave so he may not be available yet but I need help to find the answer to my problem soon. Basically, my word 10 document I have been working on is corrupt with Chinese characters. I believe it has something to do with formatting. I had posted the copy of the document on wikisend

Please let me know what the solution is so I can correct the document and continue. Thanks.
Thanks - am reviewing the document now, can you confirm it's Word 2010 you are using?

Also, can you check the version of Office 2010 as to whether Service Pack 1 is installed? You can verify this from Help-->About in the Office applications.

Cheers

Steve
Ok, it looks the problem is with the Indent Library on that document, with the affected areas if you remove the Indents/Bullet options that seems to resolve the issue. Working on the document at the moment and will send you a Wikisend link in next few minutes.

Cheers

Steve
Ok, I've amended this copy of the document

National Science Foundation.doc

Anywhere that there are bullet points on the original it seems a custom indent has been specified - the fix is to either remove the bullets or change to a correct version.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve -

I can't open the document that you attached. How do I do that?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by removing the bulletes or change to a correct version. A correct version of what?

Also, should I download the service pack that you were referring to?

Thanks

Ok, are you able to download the document but just not open it?

The Wikisend ID is 315972 if that helps to download it that way.

If you open the original document and highlight one of the affected areas (or the paragraph which contains them) you should be able to Select the Bullets menu from the Home tab.

Alternatively, once the area is highlighted, press ALT + H + U and the bullet options will display. If you choose None, or a conventional bullet that will clear the problem.

You can see the cause of the issue by going to Alt + H + M which will load up the multilevel lists - the first list has this strange custom character, presumably entered by mistake.

Choose Define New Multilevel style and you can see the issue and amend the property which should apply across the whole document.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve -

It still doesn't work. I tried to download the document from wikisend but it won't let me save it in Word.I get the messafe.... "could not open. File error has occurred."

But when I viewed it, it still had the embedded characters. This has happened before when you don;t see the characters. Send the document to yourself and then open it and the characters will appear.

I also tried your suggestions about changing the bullet library, etc. and that didn't work either.I don't see the string in the bullet library and when I highlight an area and hit no bullet or select a bullet, nothing happens and the characters are still there.

Any other advice to try?

Ok, that is strange - I've resent the document to myself and the embedded characters are not present. I've also re-edited the original file and uploaded/downloaded via Wikisend and the issue has disappeared there as well.

Can you go to File-->Help in Word and confirm the full version of Office installed?

Cheers

Steve

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve -

I got on another computer and now have the file you sent. Thanks.... but as you mentioned, its not formatted. Is there an easy way to recover the formatting sequent I had previous or will I just have to go through the document and insert bullets, etc. where they belong?

Also, I am not able to correct the Chinese character problem in my original document. Although I have the corrected version from you, I would like to correct the versions I have on my own system. I used the approaches you sent me previously - i.e. ALT-H-U as well as Alt-H-M but I don't see the characters displayed and when I select a new multilevel or highlight the paragraph and hit no bullets, nothing happens. The Chinese characters are still there. I'm not sure what you did to correct the the document, you sent but I can't seem to be successful. Any other suggestions?

Also, how do I tell on my other computer if the full version of Office is installed? I go to File>help but not sure what I'm looking for re full version. Just lt me know. Thanks.

Ok, for the version when in File-->Help if you look on the right hand side you should see a version number listed - if you let me know this we can see if there is any discrepancy there.

If you open the original document on this other computer? That would seem the best way to return to the original formatting and then see if the Indents/Bullets can be amended on this other machine. The only thing I did to correct the document on my system was to amend the bullet list style once it became clear that not all the entries could be simply highlighted/deleted or replaced automatically.

The systems I am testing with all have Office 2010 Service Pack 1 installed by the way.

Let me know

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve:

Original computer = Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010

Version 14.0.6112.5000 (32-bit)

New Computer = Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010

save version number

How can I tell if I have Office Service Pack 1 installed or how do I install it?

I just tried to correct the original document with the new computer and again, noting worked.

Ok, that is the same version number as mine so you also have Service Pack 1 installed on the systems.

I have downloaded your original document again - and the error with the bullets only appears once starting to scroll through the document.

So I have then amended the style for List Level 1 and the strange text has disappeared throughout the entire document once more.

I've uploaded this version here -

Comments_bjm_BSR_Guide_Master_v4_0_02172012 - Amended.doc

Also, you might want to try a Repair install on Office 2010 to see if that corrects anything, certainly on the original machine at least.

Let me know

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't open the document. Can you send me the reference in wikisned?

I'm following through on repairing the Office version on the original computer. I'll see what happens.

What other steps can I do now to fix my original version myself?

How can I prevent this from happening again?

Ok, the reference in Wikisend is 142030

If possible, try creating a new user account on the computer in question and logging on to that and opening/editing the document.

How are the files being exchanged/sent? If e-mail you might want to compress them or look at using something like Dropbox to share files amongst a group of people where they won't be passed through filters etc.

Let me know

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve -

It seems to me that I have a document now that I can work with.

A few more things -

* I still can't correct my old documents even with the good system - not sure what to do

* How do I contact you if the problem reoccurs ?

* Any suggestions on how to prevent this in the future?

*I'm not sure what you mean by creating a new user account on my computer, etc. Please explain.

How many documents do you have that are affected? Has this only happened with files that have been shared between people for comments/changes etc?

If so, how are the documents being exchanged? I can be contacted via the direct link at JustAnswer

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-steveherrod/

Let me know the above and we can see what options can be taken to prevent the issue occurring again.

To create a new user account on the computer go to Start-->Control Panel-->Users and Accounts

You should be able to choose New User there and create a login etc. Once you restart or log off you would then be able to login as this new user and see what happens with documents etc.

I'm wondering if it is some kind of corruption on the Word templates etc so this would help show if that is the case.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Steve -

Not sure if you got my reply. I cannot copy or paste the string into find and replace. I think it has something to do with formatting.

Here is a copy of a page I just cut and pasted.

Unfortunately, I have to meet somebody right now. How do I followup with you or someone else tomorrow?

Thanks for your help.

xxxxx
No problem - thanks for the update, I didn't receive any reply previously I'm afraid :(

The copy and paste of the page didn't come through, can you resend? I'm available tomorrow so let me know when you are free.

Cheers

Steve