Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

How can I insert and format a new slide into a Powerpoint presentation

How can I insert and format a new slide into a Powerpoint presentation without it changing the background and test format of other slides in the presentation?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am happy to assist you today.

-What is your Operating System, XP, Vista or 7?
-What version of PowerPoint are you using, 2007 or 2010?

We’re looking forward to hearing back from you soon!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Windows WP and Powerpoint 2007
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Are you using a THEME in various slides? How did you format the background? By right clicking on the slide then clicking on Format background? Or did you use the templates in the Design menu?

If the file does not contain sensitive data, can you please send it to me so that I can take a look at your actual layout? If so, please UPLOAD the file to http://wikisend.com. After the upload, you shall get a 6-digit File ID. Post the file ID when you reply so that I can get your file.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will send you two files, first is the presentation as it was before adding the additional slide and the second is the presentation after adding the new slide.
There were other editing I did between saves as well, but only in already existing slides.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Yes please. Just upload each file then tell me the File ID so that I can download each one of them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
First file: 452502
Second file: 289734
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
OK. I got your files. I will now take a look at each then I get back to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
I am now comparing the files and they appear to be the same with some changes in the 3a file.

What specific change that you want to UNDO or what specifically you want in the 3a file? Do you want to ADD more slides but you want to pick up another background?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As you compare the files you will notice that the background and text formatting of several slides has changed. I added into the 3a file the slide about Soup, Song and Scripture that is in gray background and black text. After I added and formatted it, I noticed that several other slides had changed. I then saved the changes as 3a and re-opened 3 and tried to copy/paste that slide into 3. I would like that slide as it is in the 3 file in the same configuration. When I have tried to copy and paste it into the 3 file it takes on the attributes of the slide immediately preceeding it. Frustrating!!

Thanks for your time and help....
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Cool! Thank you for that information.

In order to copy exactly the slide "Soup, Song & Scripture" from 3a into 3, I would like to introduce to you the powerful feature of MS PowerPoint 2007: RE-USE SLIDES.

Please do the following:
  1. Open file 3 and close file 3a
  2. Click on VIEW menu then set it to NORMAL view. Normal view shows the slide and the thumbnails in the left sidebar
  3. Then in the left sidebar, click on the slide where you want the "Soup" slide will be copied after
  4. Then click the HOME menu
  5. Under the SLIDES group, click on the small down-arrow for "New Slide"
  6. Then in the drop down menu, at the bottom part, click on RE-USE SLIDE. Here is a screen shot:

7. Then a panel appears at the right
  8. Click on Another or Existing PowerPoint
  9. Then browse to 3a file, where the Soup slide come from
  10. Then the slides in 3a will be shown in thumbnails
  11. Locate the Soup slide
  12. DO NOT CLICK on any slide yet
  13. At the bottom part, there is an option "Keep Source Formatting". Click on the check box to check it
  14. Then click on the Soup slide
  15. Then the slide will then be copied to file 3.
  16. Here is another screen shot:

I hope you find my answer helpful. If you do, please Accept and leave a positive feedback if you are satisfied. A bonus is always greatly appreciated.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

If the problem is NOT solved, please do not leave a negative feedback. Instead, post a REPLY so that we can continue further.

Best regards,
Jess

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
After doing the steps I described you, here is file 3 with the Soup slide added:
http://wikisend.com/download/467066/2012-03-03.ppt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX one problem. Now I need to make another slide, but I want to be able to compose it without changing any other slides in the presentation, and I want to compose it differently from the other slides. How do I do that? If I can do that I will not need to copy from one file to another!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Cool! I am glad that you have followed the procedures regarding RE-USE SLIDES. Basically, that is a good feature that you can use over and over.

Now, you want to create NEW slides without affecting the rest of the styles in the previous slides. You have 2 options:

1. Re-use slides already created. But this time, do the re-use to copy the theme only. After the re-use and the theme applied, remove the contents and put on the new contents
  2. CREATE from scratch. Here are your options for this:
    • USE the Design Menu. Create a new blank slide then in the left panel click on it to select it and the blank slide is shown.
    • Then click on DESIGN menu and you shall see the various themes that were used already.
    • Then, while the new slide selected, DO NOT click on any theme yet since it will apply automatically. When you click accidentally, just UNDO it.
    • When you found a good design to use for the new slide, RIGHT-CLICK on it, then click on "Apply to selected slide". Here is a screen shot:
Now, the second option is to use FORMAT BACKGROUND. Right click on the NEW slide in the left panel, then click on Format Background. Then do your changes then close the dialog and DO NOT click on the APPLY TO ALL button.

I hope you find my answer helpful. If you do, please ACCEPT and leave a positive feedback if you are satisfied. A bonus is always greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have been very helpful. I wish I felt as positively about the Just Answer medium. I find it cumbersome and frustrating, as I cannot add a second message to you until you reply. In the above situation I had to wait for a reply from you before I could tell you the id numbers of my uploaded files. That, and the fact that it locked my out and I had to login again and get the pop-up ads for their service added to the frustration with this service. Also with not having the ability to negotiate the price for service. As I mentioned in the optional information above, I am an unpaid volunteer for my church and this will come out of my pocket. I bet you're not getting all of the $38.00 USD that it costs me. If you did, I would not hesitate to pay. In summary, I am fully satisfied with your service but not with Just Answer.

Have a good weekend.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for writing back. I am sorry about the trouble you have had with the JustAnswer format. If you refer about posting before I posted a reply or answer, you could have done it by going to the MY QUESTIONS link at the top right corner of the page and click on this question of your. Or alternately, you could have clicked the link in the email that you got from JustAnswer.com.

Anyhow, I believe I was able to resolve your issue and have exerted much effort to provide the steps and screen shots necessary to help you better. If you find this helpful, please click the ACCEPT button since this is the only way I get credit for this work.

If you want to adjust the amount that you want to pay for this, how much would it be? Please click on this link and send a request to adjust the offer to the price of your liking or call our customer service.

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years