maomd
maomd, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Fifteen years plus providing efficient computer solutions, no matter how small or large.
31474244

My website www.babydollsheepnwool.com does not open completely

Customer Question

My website www.babydollsheepnwool.com does not open completely in Internet Explorer any more. It's ok in Chrome and others (not sure about FF). I used the 2003 version of Publisher. Please help.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.

maomd :

Hello

maomd :

It appears that your website fails the W3C validation check with 193 errors. W3C validates websites against a set of standards that web browsers are suppose to follow.

maomd :

If a website fails the check, then there is no certainty that it will appear the same across multiple browsers.

maomd :

I have verified that the webpage appears ok in Firefox and fails in Internet Explorer.

maomd :

This is because Internet Explorer doesn't fully comply with the set standards either and can misinterpret code more lazy than other web browsers.

maomd :

The easiest way to ensure this doesn't happen is to migrate away from Publisher to a better web developing application, such as Dreamweaver.

maomd :

That can be costly though.

maomd :

I unfortunately do not have an easy way of troubleshooting Internet Explorer's rendering of the code without being able to work on the website in a test environment, so I am unable to tell you exactly where the problem is.

maomd :

I suspect it is in the following code:
<map name="MicrosoftOfficeMap0">

<area href="websiteV1.0_files/Page555.htm" coords="0, 168, 188, 202" shape="Rect">
<area href="websiteV1.0_files/Page399.htm" coords="0, 134, 188, 168" shape="Rect">
<area href="websiteV1.0_files/Page447.htm" coords="0, 101, 188, 134" shape="Rect">
<area href="websiteV1.0_files/Page498.htm" coords="0, 67, 188, 101" shape="Rect">
<area href="websiteV1.0_files/Page342.htm" coords="0, 34, 188, 67" shape="Rect">
</map>

maomd :

Try taking out the <map></map>

maomd :

Might also try change <area href to <a href

maomd :

Thank you.

Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't understand your recommendatons about code w/in publisher. You have to write in lay terms for me, please.
Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.
This is a problem with Publisher and can not be easily fixed. You will need to replace Publisher with another application, such as Dreamweaver.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That has been suggested to me as an option before, but those programs are either too expensive or too difficult (ie wordpress) for me.

While I appreciate your answer, it doesn't really solve my problem. Am I expected to pay the $48 for it? Or are you able to fix the problem for me by going on my site?

Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.
I can't go in and fix it for you (against policy), but I can try and duplicate the problem and find the specific code causing this problem and what it should be instead. That will be the best that I can do to provide you with an answer and you will have the correct code that you will need replace in Publisher. I will not be able to help you put it in Publisher though. Would that be acceptable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I really don't know. Do you think I would be able to figure out how to do it? Also, would that effect how it is viewed by any of the others (eg Chrome)?
Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.
There should be an option in Publisher to edit code, or view source, but I am not certain as it's really a nonsupported application. I'll make sure that whatever code I provide as a solution will work across all browsers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I take a few minutes to look in Publisher to see if that is so?
Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.
Sure thing. Just let me know what you would like done here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can not seem to find how to edit or view the source code in Publisher. Will you tell me step by step? Also, I'm seeing that my webpage doesn't even load correctly in the program anymore.

Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, but Publisher is no longer supported and is the source of all your problems with this. I highly recommend moving away from Publisher as any attempts to fix the problem here will most likely result in more problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, thanks anyway. What is the charge for this answer?
Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.
It appears a deposit of $48 was made to justanswer, but I will not be compensated unless you accept an Answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Whatever. I consider myself dupped by your company, not you. My problem is not solved.

Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.
I apologize. I can help identify the problematic code and give you the correct code, but I have no way of putting that in Publisher for you. If you would like a refund instead of the correct code, I can submit that request for you.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I'm willing to pay 50% for your time & opinion.