NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.

Microsoft office drop down in "look in" field will not ope

Customer Question

Microsoft office drop down in "look in" field will not open
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Which version of office are you using, 2003, 2007, 2010?

Where are you having this problem, when you try and open a document?

Please provide as much detail about the issue as possible so I can better assist.

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am using Windows XP. I have both 2003 and 2007 on my computer and I have the same issue in both editions. Right now it is happening in all Microsoft application, Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, etc. I open any program, click on the folder to open a file, the "Open: window appears. I click on the drop down icon to select a drive and the drop down does not work.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Are you talking about this window under file and open and the dropdown I have circled in the picture?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will show you I am looking at if you can tell me how to insert the picture like you did on you reply. Ted
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
You should see a paperclip icon which will allow you to upload a picture. If not just upload it to wikisend.com and send me the link.

If you don't know how to take a screen shot here are directions:
http://take-a-screenshot.org/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Thank You for that. So when you click it nothing shows up? Click you change folders by clicking the icons on the left like the desktop for example?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I can get to the drives with the icons on the left but not with the drop down arrow.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
That is really strange and honestly I have not come across this before. I just checked a bunch of resources and cannot find another case of this at the moment. For now I will opt/out of the question and release to the other experts to have a look at it so you don't have to wait. In the meantime I will research this and see if I can find you an answer.

You will receive an email when an expert has an answer or needs more info from you.

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, Thanks.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
About the only thing I suggest at the moment is running system file check.

Click Start and choose Run, in the Run Box type CMD and press enter.

In command prompt type
sfc /scannow

See if it finds any issues and hopefully fixes them.