weshouck
weshouck, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Microsoft Office Specialist

My company has an internal SharePoint website with a Project

Customer Question

My company has an internal SharePoint website with a Project list. Any time a salesman gets a new order, they add a new record. On the Project List are several dates…here are some exact examples:
• Requested
• Projected Install
• Projected “Live”
• Projected Wiring
• Ordered
• Equipment ETA
…and the list could go on.

I can get this Project List into an Excel spreadsheet very nicely. I can even refresh the data very easily. However, being able to look at this data in a calendar format would help me plan things much more efficiently. I need to know the best way to have the project name & action shown on a calendar.

I have a spreadsheet I can email you or another email with tables as examples that show what i want more clearly. Basically, the column & Row name would populate on the day of an event. I am pretty comfortable with Excel…until you get into code or vba stuff. I have a wonderful resource for formulas on some pretty complex spreadsheets; but, this has me stumped.

Please advise‼
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 2 years ago.

BeBoo :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXXXX XXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

BeBoo :

What you should be able to do is import that spreadsheet directly into Outlook. When you import the file, it will ask you to map fields which you should be able to do if I am understanding the layout correctly.

Customer :

This does not work. The way that I need to see it is the project name(row) & date type(column). That was the first thing that I tried to do

BeBoo :

Maybe I could understand better if I saw the spreadsheet - Can you send a sample to me? Easiest way is to upload it to http://www.wikisend.com/ and give me the File ID after you have done it.

Customer :

Ideally, the outlook calendar would be updated when the project list is.

Customer :

ok...give me a few

BeBoo :

That wouldn't be possible unless you had a shared calendar ON sharepoint

Customer :

306556

BeBoo :

Great- give me a little bit to look this over and do some testing.

BeBoo :

Ok, so which date is to be used on the Calendar and where is the project name? I see customer and a product name.

Customer :

project name is XXX XXXXXXXX name

Customer :

all dates...that's what is causing the issue. I would like to get specific dates to populate in a calendar with the project name and type of date.

Customer :

e.g.-- on 3/2/12 I want it to show the project name and what column--projected live, projected install, wiring, etc...

Customer :

does that make sense?

BeBoo :

Ok, so you want an entry for the requested date, an entry for the installed date, an entry for the projected date, etc, correct?

Customer :

yes...on a calendar with the project name. that's the key here...I need to look at a calendar on 3/5/12 and see "customer1-wiring", "customer2-install", "customer3-equipment eta", etc...

BeBoo :

Ah, ok. That is a little over my head, sorry.

Customer :

I don't care if I have to have multiple excel tabs with hlookups, vlookups, etc...i just want it to work

BeBoo :

I understand what you are looking for but I don't know how easy that can be done without some serious editing of the excel before importing each time.

BeBoo :

I will opt out and allow another expert to look at this.

Customer :

Ok, is this really that complicated? thanks for your help. will i have to go through this chat again?

BeBoo :

When another expert picks it up, it will switch to a Q&A (forum) style posting.

BeBoo :

It sounds complicated to me but another expert with macro knowledge might be better at this.

Customer :

Great...thanks!

BeBoo :

No problem. Have a nice evenig.

BeBoo :

evening*

Expert:  weshouck replied 2 years ago.
Inside the SharePoint list, you can create a Calendar View for the CusXXX XXst.
Open the list, and click on Actions, List Settings, and create a New View, Calendar View.
You can then choose that view to display as a Calendar for the projects.

Here is an example --> HERE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i do not have that option available. Network admin told me that it's not the right type of list or something. I researched that first
Expert:  weshouck replied 2 years ago.
SharePoint comes very basic out of the box without hiring a programmer to made custom code for SharePoint.
The best thing to do is create a "CusXXX XXst" with the same fields, then import the values from the other list (Copy/Paste) in Datasheet view. Then create the Calendar View.

The list will operate the same way and you'll get the view you want. This really is the best way to have the view you want without hiring a programmer to build a custom web part.