Erik B.
Erik B., Consultant
Experience:  Well versed in several editions of Microsoft Office.

I installed Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Business. At first

I installed Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Business. At first Outlook was working, but now it says "Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook" i have tried some solutions found on line such as "resetnavpane" and have uninstalled/reinstalled, but nothing seems to work.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you today.

If you have already done the basics, let's try some more in depth things. The first thing we are going to try is setting up a new Outlook profile. This will help us determine if the problem is with your current profile or data file. Please do the following:

• 1. Make sure Outlook is closed.
  • 2. Click Start -> Control Panel.
  • 3. On the left hand side, click on the Classic View link. If you are using Windows 7, change the View By drop down to Large Icons.
  • 4. Look for and double click the Mail icon.
  • 5. In the window that appears, click the Show Profiles button.
  • 6. Click the Add button. A window will appear for you to type a new name. Any name will do.
  • 7. Click OK.
  • 8. The email wizard will appear. Complete this wizard with your email information.
  • 9. When the wizard is finished, you will be returned to your Profiles window. Make sure in the drop down under Always use this profile you choose the NEW profile, then click OK to save all your changes.
  • 10. Start Outlook.

Does Outlook open in the new profile?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't see option to change to classic view
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
If you are using Windows 7, look in the upper right hand corner. You should see the View By drop down. Click that and change it to Large Icons.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Done

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

OK good, now please continue with these instructions:

• 7. Click OK.
  • 10. Start Outlook.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only icon is "mail (32 bit)" and when I clock on it it says my system needs more memory or system resources. Close some windows and try again. I just have this window open.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

Ah OK that is a problem then! That does mean that your profile is corrupted. Your data should all still be there, but we are going to have to jump through some hoops to get it working again.

Here is what you have to do:

1. Click Start and in the Search window, type regedit and then hit the Enter button.
  2. In the Registry Editor, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem.
  3. Right click the Windows Messaging Subsystem folder and choose rename. Rename it to Windows Messaging Subsystem.old.
  4. Repeat these steps for HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem.
  5. After you do that, repair the office installation again.
  6. Now when you open Outlook you should be prompted to create a new profile. Go through the profile wizard.
  7. Outlook should start.

Once you are at that point, you will need to import the data from your old data file. Here is how:

1. Open Outlook.
  2. Click on File -> Open -> Import.
  3. Highlight Import from another file or program and click Next.
  4. Highlight Personal Folder File (.PST) and click Next.
  5. Click the Browse button and browse to the old email file. This will most likely be in the first window that opens and it will be called Outlook.
  6. Click Next.
  7. Highlight the top folder in the list in the Select folder to import from window and make sure the Include subfolders checkbox is checked.
  8. Click Import items into the same folder in choice and then click Finish.
  9. The import process will take place and you should then be able to see your old email in your new Outlook.

After that you should be good to go, but let me know if not. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Re#5: What is meant by repair office installation?
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
I apologize I should have been more clear. To repair Office you just insert the installation CD and then when the setup program opens, choose to Repair the installation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yay! Your answer worked. I have not imported my old file but probably don't need to since this is a new computer and there wasn't much in an old file. I appreciate your help. Sorry I rebooted and lost the connection. Oops! Thanks again. I will certainly recommend your service and will, unfortuntately, probably need to use it againLaughing
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
That is great news I am so glad to hear it. Glad we could get you working and thanks again for choosing Just Answer!
Erik B., Consultant
Experience: Well versed in several editions of Microsoft Office.