Frederick S
Frederick S, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician; founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

ra - vl

Customer Question

how can i get my word 2007 to show a page at 80% and not show 2 pages
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  authentech replied 4 years ago.

authentech :

Go to Zoom, click on the 'Many Pages' icon, choose a one-page display, then set the zoom level to whatever you want.

JACUSTOMER-d3tudjjy- :

duh.. i already did that, as i indicated. i did not pay $38 for idiotic advice like this

authentech :

Wow, a simple...that didn't work would have been a lot nicer.

authentech :

So you have changed the many pages icon?

JACUSTOMER-d3tudjjy- :

there is o may pages icon, by the way

JACUSTOMER-d3tudjjy- :

there is no many pages icon\

authentech :

When you click on Zoom...all the way on the right

image2.jpg
Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-d3tudjjy- :

i know where the zoom button is. if i do anything less than 100% it gives me two pages

authentech :

I'm going to post what I have here...you tell me if it's not working like this.

authentech :

Using the status bar Zoom control in Word 2007

The main Zoom control is found on the status bar. The percentage value is the approximate ratio between the size of your document on the computer's monitor versus how big it will be when printed.

image0.jpg
Full Size Image

• To make the document appear larger, on the status bar slide the gizmo to the right (toward the plus sign).

• To make the document appear smaller, slide the gizmo to the left (toward the minus sign).

Using the Zoom dialog box in Word 2007

You can use the custom controls in the Zoom dialog box to set document magnification. Simply click the Zoom button to display this dialog box.

image1.jpg
Full Size Image

The Zoom To section lets you choose specific percentages, as well as options for viewing by page width and text width. You can also see more than two pages at a time by using the Many Pages option.

image2.jpg
Full Size Image

Using the View tab Zoom controls in Word 2007

The View tab contains controls that let you change magnification with the click of a button. The One Page command zooms out so that you can see the entire page on the screen. The text is very tiny, but — amazingly — you can still edit it.

The Two Pages command zooms out and shows two pages on the screen at one time.

image3.jpg
Full Size Image

The Page Width command sets the zoom level so that you see your entire document from its left to right margins.

authentech :

Try the View tab, click one page

JACUSTOMER-d3tudjjy- :

i have already done this. if i click one page it goes to 71% which is too small

authentech :

ok one moment

authentech :

We can try replacing your .normal file.

authentech :

This may fix the problem.

authentech :

Before you can delete the file, however, you first must find it. And it's not in the same place on all computers.

• Click on Start>Search>All Files & Folders and typenormal.dot into the "Name or Partial Name:" field. (Typing normal.dot will also find normal.dotm in Word 2007 and Word 2010).

• Next click on Advanced Options and be sure thatSearch System Folders and Search Subfoldersare checked, along with Search Hidden Files & Folders.

• Also, the "Look In:" field should be set to your main hard drive (usually Local Disk C:) rather than to an individual folder, such as "My Documents."

It's not uncommon to find multiple copies ofnormal.dot, so wait till the search has finished before deleting anything. When all the files have appeared they can be deleted by left-clicking them and pressing your DELETE key. Alternatively, you can select them and click the toolbar's red X. Or you can right-click them and choose DELETE on the popup menu.

Please note that normal.dot can not be deleted if any Word documents are open. Word must be closed in order to perform this action. After all copies of normal.dot have been purged you can reopen Word, which will go looking for the file. When it isn't found the program will simply recreate it with all of Word's original settings.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am not going to delete my normal file. it is not the problem. it is my understanding that my monitor is too state of the art. i need a way to get around this. i am surprised that you are an expert and did not explore this aspect
The .normal file will automatically replace itself. You can rename it instead if you'd like. This is the next step to test the issue. I've found info if your monitor is widescreen or too high of a resolution you can see this as well, but the .normal may also fix it without dumbing down your monitor.

That being said...I have helped hundreds of people on this site and I have never been spoken to in the manner of which you choose to speak to me. I'm sorry if I did or said something to cause this, but I'm opting out to allow other experts to assist you...assuming after reading this anyone still wants to. Good luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i would prefer to talk to someone who appears to actually be an expert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
i would like an answer from someone who knows word. i deleted my normal.dot file. this, of course, did not fix the problem. he is suggesting things that i, who knows little about these issues, already tried on my own. if i am paying for advice, i would appreciate talking to someone who actually knows more than i do.
Expert:  Frederick S replied 4 years ago.
If you don't want two pages, make the window smaller or reduce the width. It is two pages for your convenience and this cannot be changed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just refund my money. this site is a joke
It is just the truth. Sorry you aren't happy with the reality.

Good day to you.