Travis
Travis, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have 12 years of experience in the IT field.

RA - mk

Customer Question

I can open every section of my Microsoft Office program except for the Word section which I need. It is the old 2003 program
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Travis replied 2 years ago.

bobnosnarb :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer~! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X would like to assist you with your question.

bobnosnarb :

Does it give you any errors when you try and open word?

Customer :

No--there is a box that pops up that says I either have the wrong address--but whatever, I'm not allowed to open Word even though I can open all the other sections of the program.

bobnosnarb :

Try this, click on my computer, c:\ drive, program files, microsoft office, office11 I think it may be office 10, and then look for winword.exe. Once you find that click it and see if word will start.

bobnosnarb :

Try clicking one of these links if you can't find it. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\winword.exe" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\winword.exe"

bobnosnarb :

I guess they don't show as links.

bobnosnarb :

Click start, run, and copy and paste this one in the run box and press enter. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\winword.exe"

Customer :

when I type that in it says there is no such address

Customer :

I have to close this chat to get to "my computer"--how do I get back to you???

bobnosnarb :

Ctrl D and Add will save a link to this website in your brower. http://www.justanswer.com/microsoft-office/67poq-open-every-section-microsoft-office-program-except.html You should just be able to minimize this chat window and go to the start menu though.

Customer :

I got to my computer followed your directions and it said "you cannot access the specified devise path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access them."

bobnosnarb :

Is this on your home computer?

Customer :

yes

bobnosnarb :

Ok, lets try this click start, all programs, RIGHT click on your word icon and LEFT click properties.

Customer :

Then what?

bobnosnarb :

Can you click "Open File Location"

Customer :

I don't see that under Properties

bobnosnarb :

Would you allow me to connect to your computer to see if I can help?

Customer :

Absolutely

bobnosnarb :

Ok, go to this website and click join remote control session. www.teamviewer.com

bobnosnarb :

http://www.teamviewer.com

bobnosnarb :

click run if it ask you to

bobnosnarb :

If you are having trouble getting back to this question go to www.justanswer.com and click My Questions at the top and then you can get back here.

Customer :

The ID is 382 042 546 and the password XXXXX XXXXX

bobnosnarb :

Is teamviewer still running?

bobnosnarb :

If it's not still running click start, programs and teamviewer. It will probably have a new password.

bobnosnarb :

I'm still here whenever you have time to work on this.

bobnosnarb :

Hello

Customer :

my ID remains the same 382 042 546 but the password XXXXX XXXXX

Customer :

Sorry the password XXXXX XXXXX

bobnosnarb :

Is it running now?

Customer :

yes

bobnosnarb :

Well it's not letting me connect.

Customer :

What do I do?

bobnosnarb :

Let me look just a sec

bobnosnarb :

You still there?

Customer :

yes, I just went back to team viewer and now it says that my ID is 382 042 546 and my password XXXXX XXXXX

bobnosnarb :

It's not working, just says check your parners internet connection or make sure team viewer is running.

bobnosnarb :

Let's try this again. Click start/home button, click my computer, click c drive, click program files, microsoft office and let me know what you see.

Customer :

okay--just a second

Customer :

when I click Microsoft Office I see 5 choices --media, Office 12, Templates, Office 11 and Office 14

bobnosnarb :

teamviewer is working what is the password

Customer :

earlier it was 8615

bobnosnarb :

I think it has changed

bobnosnarb :

Can you minimize this window and check. No need to close.

Customer :

I'll look and see right now it is 2899

bobnosnarb :

Ok I'm in gonna take a look ok.

bobnosnarb :

Are you still there?

Customer :

yes

bobnosnarb :

I believe you have a virus that is causing you these issues.

Customer :

Why did it just effect Word and not the other portions of Office? Then what do I do?

bobnosnarb :

You can try rebooting the computer, when the sreen goes black start pressing the F8 key repeatedly. This will bring you into a menu, select safe mode. Once you are booted into safe mode open Malwarebytes, the new icon I just installed on your desktop. Then, select scan, scan all files and let it complete. If it finds any files infected, delete them. I will not be able to talk you through this while all this is happening unless you have another computer in the house. Any questions. I'm not sure, why it's only affecting word, but it is affecting malwarebytes too. It may start to affect other programs. Sometimes viruses are programed to only affect certain items. Try the scan and see if it picks up anything.

Customer :

Are you there??

bobnosnarb :

Ok, let me know how it goes.