Pete, Computer Expert
Experience:  MS Office expert
30970729

I was working on a document last night and when I opened it

I was working on a document last night and when I opened it up today, it was another document and not the one I saved it under. How do I recover?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

ITPeter :

ITPeter :

Welcome to JustAnswer!

ITPeter :

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

ITPeter :

What program did you use to create the document?

Customer:

word

ITPeter :

Which version of Word? (2003, 2007, 2010)?

Customer:

Somehow the doc I was working on saved to something else because when I opened it today, it was another doc

Customer:

2010

ITPeter :

What version of Windows are you using?

Customer:

sorry, how do I find the version

Customer:

2010 is all I know

ITPeter :

Click on the Windows Start button, then right-click on Computer and select Properties

ITPeter :

Then let me know what the Windows edition is?

Customer:

windows 7?

Customer:

windows 7 home pentium

ITPeter :

Ok, thanks for that.

ITPeter :

Do you have AutoRecover turned on in Word?

Customer:

how would i know. Sorry, not good with this stuff

Customer:

autorecover is on...every ten minutes

Customer:

are you there?

Customer:

Pete, I put high level urgency and detail. are you with me or another client?

ITPeter :

Yes, I am here.

Customer:

Sorry, I'm pissed I lost this doc

ITPeter :

You can do a search for the AutoRecover file if you know the name it should have been saved under.

Customer:

ok, how would I do that Pete?

ITPeter :

Open Word, then click Open (as you normally would to open a saved file)

ITPeter :

Then go to the folder that contains your recovery files (usually the Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Word folder).

ITPeter :

In the Files of type box, click All Files. Any AutoRecover files saved here will have the .asd extension.

ITPeter :

If you see the AutoRecover file for your document, select it and open it.

Customer:

trying to find folder that contains recovery files

ITPeter :

(you could also do a Windows search for all .asd files if you cannot find the folder)

Customer:

ok, one gimme a min.

Customer:

is it in the "search documents section" in the upper right. Do I type in .asd?

ITPeter :

In Windows 7, if you click on the Windows Start orb in the lower left corner of the screen, you will see the search box at the bottom of the Program list.

Customer:

got it..searching

ITPeter :

Type .asd in here and press Enter and it will search your entire computer.

Customer:

the doc did not come up

ITPeter :

If it didn't come up then there is no autosaved backup of it.

ITPeter :

This is your only hope of recovering it, unless you had manually backed it up elsewhere, or emailed it to someone?

Customer:

I was working on a few docs and when I went to open the file today, it showed up as another doc I was working on

ITPeter :

Could it have been saved under the wrong name?

ITPeter :

Have you checked in Word - Recent files?

Customer:

I checked like every doc from yesterday i worked on, even recent files

Customer:

I don't now how this could of happened. I was saving the damn thing all night long as I was working on it under the correct name...and then, when I tried to open it under today under the file I dilineated, another doc showed up? Shouldn't it be somewhere if I was saving it all night under the same file name, except maybe at the end, something quirky happened

Customer:

On my work computer, home computer, and flash drive

Customer:

saving

ITPeter :

If it has been saved over at the end, only the most recent copy will be saved.

Customer:

Not good, huh?

Customer:

If I have checked recent docs and it is not there and not under the autosave, I'm pretty much screwed?

ITPeter :

I'm afraid not.

ITPeter :

There is no other way to recover it, unless you have a copy of it elsewhere.

Customer:

Damn, this sucks. No file but i still feel obligated to pay!

Customer:

Your advice was good and I appreciate it...fifty eight bucks and no doc. What happens now, I hit "accept" and you get paid

ITPeter :

When you hit accept, I get a portion of your payment for my time.

ITPeter :

One other piece of advice I would offer is always to save a document as you go along, under a different name after you complete each piece of major work on it. Thay way, you can always revert back to at least a partial document if it ever becomes corrupted or deleted.

Customer:

I was wondering about that, open your own business cause you should get it all but i understand how this stuff works. Well, thx anyway i guess

Customer:

Thx, that is good info and I will do that next time. Have a great night Pete

ITPeter :

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

Pete, Computer Expert
Experience: MS Office expert