Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

i have to format the text. how do i do it?

Customer Question

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Are you using Microsoft Word? If so which version

And how exactly would you like to format the text

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes Microsoft word I think 2005 or so. The text is 95,000 words. The paper size for the document should be 6'' x 9".

Page set up: the top and bottom margins should be 0.8''. Exterior margin 0.75''. Interior margin 1''.

Tabs 0.25" (apply tabs settings to the whole document for visual consistency)

Body text 11 pt type Seris fonts for body text. Times New Roman.

Line spacing 1.2

Page Numbers( bottom of the page) to start with the beginning of the text

Headers on odd number pages : The Firebird Affair. Im told the Page Break function to start each new chapter

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok so you want me to set up these format settings on a sample file and send it to you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could I email you the whole text and have you set it up on it and then send it back to me. I am a technical idiot, or close to it. If that's impossible, then do what you can keeping the last sentence in mind. many thanks
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok go ahead and send it to me and I will set up the formatting on it.

You can attach the file with your reply using the paperclip icon

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im not sure I get it. I press the paperclip icon

Attachment: 2012-02-07_031548_p_and_p_file_firebird.docx

did I di it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
brilliant. you might enjoy reading my book. it is a spy thriller
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

lol (I don't usually read customer's files but I will if you want me to when I have time)

I am on it now

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since this is a novel, and it might give you pleasure, I would certainly want you to read it.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry I am not able to format that document. Been working on it for the past hour but there appears to be some corruption in the file which is not allowing some formats to be saved.

I'll open the question for other experts to help.

Good luck

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry about that. thanks a lot anyway.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

No problem

Expert:  Danielle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, Im hoping I could resolve this
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thankas. I've just checked on the word program. its' microsoft work word 2007. I don't know if that make any difference
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ms Danielle-,

it's almost 1am here. Could we continue this tomorrow. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ms Danielle,

I guess I'll be in touch tomorrow. Thanks very much. Sorry to inconvenience you

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today. I downloaded your file and it is a Word 2007/2010 file. I will try my best to layout the document as per your parameters below:

The paper size = 6'' x 9".

Page set up

Top and bottom margins = 0.8''

Exterior margin = 0.75''

Interior margin = 1''

Body text = 11 pt type Seris

fonts for body text = Times New Roman

Line spacing = 1.2

Page Numbers ( bottom of the page) to start with the beginning of the text

Headers on odd number pages : The Firebird Affair.

I will give you feedback after trying the layout.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you succeed.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX get back to you when I am done for you to critic my work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jess, I have to go to the doctor's. will be away for about an hour or so. hope you can solve my proiblem. thanks
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Please take your time. I am still working on the layout of your document. It has several pages and it will take a lot of time. I hope you can wait for my results.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, Jess, I'm back and waiting for your results. Many thanks and apologies for inconvenience.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, no problem. I am working on your document and still correcting layout glitches.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see you're still working on my document. I hope you'll crack the problem/ thanks
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I will just upload the file when it is ready.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
vow. you mean you've done it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess I'm going to sleep now. Been waiting a long time. will be in touch tomorrow morning. thanks and regards
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Yeah, I have done the most parts but other pages failed to layout causing me some time of troubleshooting.

I am in a different time zone (2:00PM here now). I hope you can still wait until early tonight (my time). I will upload the file by then.

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, Jess, I'll wait. Hope you're successful. Many thanks foir your efforts
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
By the way, is the line spacing 1.2 or 1.5? There is no 1.2 line spacing, it is 1.5. (pre-defined.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay, make it 1.5. thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
jess, i'm wondering if you have managed to do it. could you upload what you've got so I can see it? regards
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Please hold on, I am just changing the line spacing to 1.5.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
great. if you haven't done the headers, than don't do it. I do have to get the document tonight. sorry to rush you. you've been great. thanks
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I have not done the headers yet. By the way, what is this numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and others, are these chapter numbers? Do they need to be in the NEXT page? I changed the spacing and these numbers are now in the middle of the page. Do they need to be in the start of the NEXT page?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, those are chapter numbers. no, they don't need to be in the NEXT page.

I hope we have page numbers.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I have page numbers but I have to correct them. Page 1 should start in the first chapter, right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes page one should start with the first chapter

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jess, wonder if you are about to finish. What's holding it up? It's now 11:27 pm here. I have to email the document to the printer one way or another tomorow. What do you say?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
How many minutes can you still wait. There are several pages in the document that I need to sub divide into sections. I am working on it now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will go out with the dog and come back within an hour. Is that enough time? If not, you could upload it later on but PLEASE give me instruction how do I get the pdf document and email it to the printer tomorrow.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I need to re-create the document to remove invalid margin formats. I guess that one hour is enough. I will upload the Word file and the PDF file also.

I will teach you how to convert to pdf also.

Thanks
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
great
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
jess, are you done? if not, I'll go to sleep and hope in the morning you'll have it done--and with instructions how to email tghe pdf file.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, It is costing me a lot of time. I still have a lot to do with the document and now I am leaving to run some errands.

So far, I recreated the document That is why I am still in page 152 of 327. I need to separate paragraphs then indent each paragraph.

So far, I will send you my completed doc. Here is the link:

http://wikisend.com/download/157840/2012-02-07_031548_p_and_p_file_firebird_rev3.docx

Things left undone?
  1. Separate paragraphs from page 152 onwards
  2. Indent each paragraph starting page 32
  3. Set line spacing to 1.5
  4. Send to you

After working with the initial document that you sent me, I decided to redo the layout since there are several settings that are inconsistent.

I need some more time. I will go to class now in the city and I will be back after 7 hours. That is 9PM my time. It is 2PM now here.

Regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. You have twelve hours, I guess. Thanks for your effort. Im going to sleep. Best rgds, Dusko
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jess, I just downloaded the file. the thing is that the spacing is corect after page 152. the first 152 pages have extra spacing between paragraphs, which is wrong.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jess, please do not separate paragraphs. Take a look at an ordinary novel. You have the spacing right AFTER page 152. Otherwise it looks good.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
o
Ok . I will complete it after my class tonight.

Thanks

Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I have completed the layout as per your instructions at last. Please click on these links to download the Word file and the PDF file.

Word File
http://wikisend.com/download/529928/2012-02-07_031548_p_and_p_file_firebird_rev5.docx

PDF File
http://wikisend.com/download/284676/2012-02-07_031548_p_and_p_file_firebird_rev5.pdf

If you want to convert word documents to PDF, please download and install CutePDF Writer. After installing it, you will get a virtual printer. When you print anything, choose the CutePDF Writer as your printer and the result is a PDF file.

Here is the download link:
http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp

I hope you find my answer helpful. If you do, please Accept and leave a positive feedback if you are satisfied. A bonus is always greatly appreciated.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

If the problem is NOT solved, please do not leave a negative feedback. Instead, post a REPLY so that we can continue further.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
jess, thanks. you deserve a bonus, of course. can you please guide me as to how do I download the pdf file and email it to the printer. I understand how I download it, but what then?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. think you must be asleep. thanks for everything and I appreciate your help
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for the accept and the bonus.

After installing CutePDF, it will become a virtual printer. Open MS Word and do Print. Then choose CutePDF Writer as the printer and the result is a PDF file.