Jason
Jason, Computer Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years work experience.
30759776

Can not open any Microsoft office programs (ie: word or excel)

Can not open any Microsoft office programs (ie: word or excel) from Microsoft Outlook. An error occurs saying that Word experienced an error while trying to open this file. Try these suggestions:
*Check the file permissions for the document or drive. (I DONT KNOW HOW TO CHK THIS)
*Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space. (NO PROBLEM HERE)
*Open the file with the Text Recovery converter (DOESNT WORK WITH ANY OF THE FILES TRYING TO BE OPENED)

This error occurs with EVERY single document. It is even occuring when trying to open SOME files straight from Word or Excel without Outlook even being involved!!!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.

SVITExperts :

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer.com.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your issues.

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall Office?

Customer:

No because I have NO idea where the discs are anymore (Ive moved my residences since I first loaded the programs on the computer)

SVITExperts :

what you can do is go to Control Panel->Programs and Features->select Microsoft Office and click Repair

Customer:

can I do that NOW?

Customer:

while you are here?

SVITExperts :

yes

Customer:

k one second

SVITExperts :

sure

Customer:

I think I have to go to CHANGE first right?

Customer:

There is no repair option right away

SVITExperts :

click Change

Customer:

um???

Customer:

a browse folder came up

Customer:

it says Browsse for folder

Customer:

what the heck!

SVITExperts :

it is trying to find the installation disc to repair.

SVITExperts :

when did this occur?

Customer:

about 2 weeks ago

Customer:

its VERY odd

Customer:

I have no idea why all of a sudden there is this problem. But I'm a real estate agent and need it fixed!

SVITExperts :

What you can do is to do a system restore.

SVITExperts :

Go to START->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools. You will see System Restore here. RIGHT CLICK on System Restore and select Run as administrator.
Select the date BEFORE the issue started. Then proceed with the restore.

Customer:

um NO because I cant be 100% sure of the date and I do a lot of work on my computer. I do not want anything to happen to the work I have done since then

Customer:

I cant believe all the problems I have been having with Microsoft in the past couple of years this is ridiculous.

Customer:

so the only option is to find my Microsoft office disk?

Customer:

one second let me take a very quick look

SVITExperts :

sure

Customer:

okay I have one here... but unsure if its for my computer or my husbands. Is there a way to confirm the product key first?

Customer:

are you here?

SVITExperts :

one second

Customer:

okay :)

SVITExperts :

is it 2010

SVITExperts :

?

Customer:

2007

Customer:

Microsoft Office home and Student 2007

SVITExperts :

Please use this link to download the program which will retrieve your Office key.

SVITExperts :

Download

Customer:

save or open ?

SVITExperts :

save it to desktop

SVITExperts :

then open it and run

Customer:

okay now what?

Customer:

Product Key: could not read product key

Customer:

now its asking me to choose which microsoft office program I have installed.

Customer:

But I dont see it in the list

Customer:

everything looks like a 2010! Grrrr this is so frustrating.

Customer:

and ya, this office disk is probably old (as I said, Ive moved residences since.) because I just looked at my outlook and it says 2010

Customer:

so I have NO idea where the 2010 disc is

SVITExperts :

hmm

SVITExperts :

Let me open your question to all experts.

SVITExperts :

So they can assist you.

Nick H., MS Office Specialist
Experience: MS Office 2003, 2007, 2010, Lotus Notes 6.5, 8.5
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Greetings,

Welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I remote into your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

YES I need help and only have about 15 minutes now after having already been working on this for a while with the last tech

YES you can remote my computer

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

I see that you just accepted the previous expert's answer. This means that after I fix your problem, I will not be paid. Did you accept his answer by accident?

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=1ea6639c-6413-4ac5-a944-20849075f0f0&SUPPORT=NET

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I didn't mean to accept his. I even stated in my notes about him that he couldn't answer or solve my problem and that he opened it to ther techs.

Regardless I'm on unlimited support.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
You may click the green ACCEPT ANSWER button on the bottom right of your screen now and leave any feedback for me that you feel is appropriate.

Thank you,
- Jason

If you ever want to work with me as your expert in the future, please bookmark the following website. You can ask any future questions directly to me and I will be the expert assigned to your case: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-theextraordinaire/
Jason, Computer Technician
Experience: Over 10 years work experience.