Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I am turning to you for advise. Having completed a 24 page

I am turning to you for advise. Having completed a 24 page draft, I chose one of the "edit" options and, to my surprise, ended up looking at a blank page. When I wanted to get rid of it, I had to make the choice of saving it or not saving it. Since the page was blank, I decided not to save it and ended up without any text at all. Up to that time, I had saved everything I did to the text. Is there any way of retrieving my lost text?

You should probably need to know I am 75 years old and have little knowledge of computers. I hope you can help me.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today.

Basically, I don't want to give you a false hope. That is, recovery for this time of situation is extremely critical and most of the time the file is actually lost and no longer recoverable. But I will try my best to give you the options in recovering the account, in case that it can still be recovered.

Since the draft was not actually saved, it was not physically written to your hard drive. It was just composed in your computer memory. When the computer is turned off, the file will be lost.

Your first option is to look at your AutoSave location. If you are using Word 2007 or 2010 and if you are using Windows Vista or 7, please go to this path or folder location:

C:\Users\your-username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\
(your-username is XXXXX XXXXX login name)

You can access that folder by doing this in Windows 7 or Vista:
  1. Click Start => All Programs => Accessories => RUN
  2. OR, press the Windows logo key, then hold it, then press the letter R
  3. In the RUN box, type: %AppData%
  4. Click OK or press Enter
  5. Then open the Microsoft folder in the window that opens
  6. Then open Word folder
  7. If there are autosaved files, they must be found there in that folder. If nothing is there, then there is no autosaved file

The second and last option is to use the Shadow Explorer tool. It is free. You download and install it the run it to scan for the missing unsaved file.

Download it Here

In that page, download the latest version 8.0

For installation help, click on this link:

Installation Help Here

For more information on how to use the tool to recover your missing and unsaved file, click the link below:

How to Use the Tool

I hope you find my answer helpful. If you do, please Accept and leave a positive feedback if you are satisfied. A bonus is always greatly appreciated.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

If the problem is NOT solved, please do not leave a negative feedback. Instead, post a REPLY so that we can continue further.

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years