Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Inserting a comma causes a line break even when there is plenty

Customer Question

Inserting a comma causes a line break even when there is plenty of space; removing the comma brings the word back up. It is not a margin issue; nothing in the autocorrect wizard. It happens with a text list of items separated by commas (e.g., "cancer incidence, survival, mortality, prevalence.") PowerPoint invariably forces a new line starting with the word "survival" but ONLY when I put the comma after it. If I type the list without commas, all the words fit on the same line. Drives me crazy ...
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

ITPeter :

ITPeter :

Welcome to JustAnswer!

ITPeter :

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to answer your question today.

ITPeter :

You will need to turn on Word Wrap. Right-click the textbox and choose Format Textbox. Click the Text Box tab and then turn on word wrap.

Customer:

Word wrap is already on. This problem dpoes not occur if I use a semi-colon ";" instead of a comma "," so it is clearly specific to the comma, and not a generic issue of line length or word-wrapping. Thus if a comma that has caused an unwanted line break is replaced by a semi-colon, the word jumps back to the previous line

Customer:

I am not sure you can reach me via email

Customer: XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Customer:

Fairly desperate for a quick solution so I can get to bed with a finished slide presentation for tomorrow ... !

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, do you still need help with this problem?

If you still have time to troubleshoot this further, please try the following:

1. Open PowerPoint
  2. Load your presentation file
  3. Click on the text box where there is a problem
  4. Then click on Home menu
  5. Locate the Paragraphs group and click the icon in the lower right corner of the Paragraph group to open the Paragraph formatting dialog box.
  6. Click on Asian Typography tab of the Paragraph dialog box.
  7. Click to remove the checkmark next to "Allow Latin text to wrap in the middle of a word."
  8. Click OK
  9. Then see if the problem is gone.
  10. Here is my screen shot:

I hope that helped. Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
I notice that you posted a duplicate question. Please let us continue to communicate here. Do you have the Asian Typography tab?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there
No Asian typography tab, only the indents and spacing tab.
I am in PPT 2007 in Windows 7
Cannot see how or why the Asian Typography tab would help (but I'd be delighted if you were right) because a comma "," forces a line break but a semi-colon ";" does not. If you replace a comma with a semi-colon the line break goes away, and vice versa.
Please email me if and when you have a solution

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back. The only thing that I got that relates to this problem is related to Asian Typography. To get the Asian Typography tab, you need to install Japanese support for your MS Office.

1. Close all MS Office programs
  2. Click Start => All Programs => MS Office => MS Office Tools => MS Office 2007 Language Settings
  3. In that screen, click on the Editing Languages tab
  4. There will be 2 boxes, the one available and the one enabled.
  5. In the Available editing languages box, scroll the list and locate Japanese (Japan)
  6. Click on it to select, then click on the ADD button
  7. When Japanese language is added, click OK to close the language settings window
  8. Then open MS PowerPoint
  9. Locate and click on the text box where the problem words are typed
  10. Then click on Home menu
  11. Locate the Paragraphs group and click the icon in the lower right corner of the Paragraph group to open the Paragraph formatting dialog box.
  12. Click on Asian Typography tab of the Paragraph dialog box.
  13. Click to remove the check mark next to "Allow Latin text to wrap in the middle of a word."
  14. If the "Allow Latin text to wrap in the middle of a word." is already unchecked, click to check it instead
  15. Click OK
  16. Then see if the problem is gone.

Best regards,

Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have not yet had an opportunity to test the last solution you posted yesterday, will do so later today, Thank you.
Michel Coleman
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michel, no problem. Please take your time.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Frustrating, a different computer today and cannot repeat the glitch. But your guidance was helpful and I will know what to do next time. Thank you
Michel
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michel, I am glad that the issue is gone this time. Should you need further assistance on this, just post a reply any time.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com.

Best regards,
Jess