jsterq
jsterq, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have knowledge in multiple Microsoft products including the entire Office suite (Word, Excel, powerpoint, etc).
64443459

Cant access my facebook account using either firefox or

Customer Question

Can't access my facebook account using either firefox or aol.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  jsterq replied 4 years ago.

jsterq :

Are you receiving an error when you try to access facebook from those browsers?

JACUSTOMER-an6m423q- :

Sometimes it says site not available. Sometimes I actually get in but then it's frozen. Can't use apps or comment.

jsterq :

Are you able to access other websites when Facebook gives the "site not available" message?

jsterq :

If desired, you could try Google Chrome. I prefer Chrome over IE or Firefox. You can get it for free here: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95346

JACUSTOMER-an6m423q- :

Yes. This is the only site I have problems with and it only started yesterday. Before that everythying was fine.

JACUSTOMER-an6m423q- :

I can try chrome, but if the problem is with both aol and firefox, why would chrome work?

JACUSTOMER-an6m423q- :

I assumed since both op systems couldn't connect, it was in the computer itself.

jsterq :

What type of internet connection do you use? Is it a dial-up connection, satellite, cable, DSL, UVerse, etc?

JACUSTOMER-an6m423q- :

DSL

JACUSTOMER-an6m423q- :

Verizon

jsterq :

I suggested Chrome because it would give us an opportunity to see if both AOL and firefox had addons installed that were interfering with facebook from loading.\

JACUSTOMER-an6m423q- :

okay can i install chrome and still keep you online?

jsterq :

yes, you should be able to.

JACUSTOMER-an6m423q- :

okay if not, please check back with me in a few minutes. [email protected]

JACUSTOMER-an6m423q- :

Yes, I can access the site through chrome. Does this mean the other systems have a bug?

JACUSTOMER-an6m423q- :

What should I do? Really, fb is all I use firefox for.

jsterq :

I would suggest uninstalling firefox and reinstalling firefox if you want to use firefox. Personally I would just suggest using Google Chrome for all websites.

JACUSTOMER-an6m423q- :

Will do. Same with aol?

jsterq :

Yes, I would let AOL just give up the ghost or try reinstalling it as well. I know that you can import your bookmarks from IE & Firefox into Chrome, but I'm not sure if you can do the same from AOL to Chrome

JACUSTOMER-an6m423q- :

I need aol for the address. too many old contacts to change. thank you Soooo much for your help. Worth the money and then some. Had heard of chrome but my son is a big firefox fan, so hadn't tried. thx again.

JACUSTOMER-an6m423q- :

Incidentally, how do i post positive feedback. You deserve it

JACUSTOMER-an6m423q- :

ok, you're busy. if you want a glowing review, email me with info where to send. thx

jsterq :

I know that you can click the accept answer button. After that, I believe it will give you an option to give additional feedback about me and the question/answer.

JACUSTOMER-an6m423q- :

Wait! I uninstalled firefox and then went to chrome to access fb, and got error messages several times. I don't understand, it worked when I first installed it. what happened?

JACUSTOMER-an6m423q- :

Crap. I'm right back where I started.

jsterq :

Oh, I see...if Chrome is also having the issue, you might need to contact Verizon your internet service provider. There might be an issue accessing Facebook from your location. In some cases a port might be blocked or one of their DNS servers might be having issues redirecting you to the correct website.