jsterq
jsterq, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have knowledge in multiple Microsoft products including the entire Office suite (Word, Excel, powerpoint, etc).
64443459

Hello, I want to ask a basic question. I have Vista Home

I want to ask a basic question. I have Vista Home Premium OS and I want to search my files for a particular string of letters in an excel file. In the old days I could put the string in quotes and specify an extension to control for the document type. How do I do that in Vista?

Thanks!

jsterq :

Press the WINKEY+F keys to bring up the search window (file explorer). At the top/right, click Advanced Search. Where it says "Show only", select other and it should allow you to enter what type of file you are searching for. You may then enter your string of letters inside of quotation marks, then click the Search Button.

Alternatively, in the Name box, enter "type:.doc" or "type:.xls" or "type:.txt" (without the quotes...depending on what file type you desire to search for) and and now enter your string of letters inside of quotation marks, then click the Search Button.

Customer:

Hi - thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is the winkey +F, is that the same as cntrl F

Customer:

Nevermind - got it

Customer:

Now trying

jsterq :

Alright, let me know if it works out for you. =)

Customer:

weird...when I enter type:.xls it gives me word and excel files

jsterq :

I might have missed an equals sign...try using "type:=.doc" or "type:=.do"

jsterq :

"type:=.xls"