jsterq, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have knowledge in multiple Microsoft products including the entire Office suite (Word, Excel, powerpoint, etc).

how do i change my default outlook data file?

Customer Question

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  jsterq replied 4 years ago.

jsterq :

To replace the default datafile, do the following:

1. Either create a new data (.pst) file or open your old data file that you want to have as your default. Save it wherever you like. (Use File -> New -> Outlook Data File or File -> Open -> Outlook Data File)

2. Go to Tools -> Email Accounts. Select “View or Change Existing Accounts”

3. On this page, you’ll see a drop-down: “Deliver new e-mail to the following location:” Select the new datafile that you want to use as your default.

4. You’ll be alerted that Outlook must be restarted. Go ahead and close Outlook, then re-open it. Your datafile should now be the default delivery location for email. You can right-click the old data file and close it if you like.

5. At this point, everything will work except that your contacts will not show up properly when you click the “To:” button. You need to re-link your contacts folder to the Address Book.

JACUSTOMER-8d1v2eyf- :

I can not follow these instructions starting at line 2 I can not find the tabs. Please disregard this request and do not charge my account.

jsterq :

You only get charged on JustAnswer if you click the accept button for my answer. From their Q&A section:

How JustAnswer Works

1. Ask a question.
Enter your question, and create a user account.

2. Name your price.
Place a refundable good faith deposit.

3. An Expert answers, often within minutes, usually within a few hours.
JustAnswer will send an e-mail notifying you of any answer or request for information from an Expert.

4. Accept the answer.
Your acceptance pays the Expert and tells us you’re happy. If you got great service, consider adding a bonus.

jsterq :

What version of Outlook are you using?

jsterq :

The instructions I gave you might for a different version of Outlook. Microsoft made major changes to the GUI when they created Microsoft Office 2010. I can most likely give you different instructions if can tell me which version of Microsoft Outlook you are using.