jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair

I am running MS Access 2010 and would like to package a copy

I am running MS Access 2010 and would like to package a copy of my Access App with Access runtime 2010. I downloaded Access Runtime 2010 and sp1 from Microsoft.
I also modified my MS Office installation to show the Package Solution.
Now the question: Where is MS Access 2010 Runtime installed so that I can tell the Package Solution its location? Should it be easily visible?
Thank you, Pamela
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Danielle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am still waiting for an answer.

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Expert with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for an Expert or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an expert with JustAnswer.com. Thank you so much for using our services. I do believe I can help you with your problem today.

I think what you are needing is the Package Solution Wizard.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/package-solution-wizard-overview-HA010294985.aspx

See Also

Let me know if this helps you to achieve your goal please.

If this fixes your problem then that is great. If it does not fix your problem then please ask for more help

Thank you for using Just Answer.com please click on ACCEPT and SAVE so I can get credit for helping you if I have answered your question correctly and to the best of my ability. If I have not been able to answer the question please let me know and ask for more help. Please take the time to fill out the feedback on how I am doing. This helps me help you better in the future. Have a great day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

graphic

Thanks for the link to the Package Solution Wizard. I still have a question though. Could you please confirm that the Access file to include as shown above - AccessRuntime.exe is the same file that was downloaded into my Downloads folder from the Microsoft website when I elected to download MS Access 2010 Runtime? (Not that you can verify what I did Kiss.) I guess that I made the assumption that the MS Access 2010 Runtime download (AccessRuntime.exe) was an executable designed to install the runtime not the runtime itself. So, (one last time) to include Runtime Access 2010 in my Package, I would point to the file AccessRuntime.exe currently in my Downloads folder at 175M to include in my Installaltion Package, right? Many Thanks.

You would be correct in your assumption. Here is the link that verifies the name to that file.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=10910

Now I noticed there is two versions for this. a 32bit file and a 64bit file. So you might need to create two packages. One for your 32bit clients and one for your 64bit clients.

Also it is also a good idea to install this on a new computer so you can verify the outcome of the packaged file and it gets installed correctly. You probably would need to do a test on both a 32bit and a 64bit machine and make sure the outcome is correct.

Hope that helps you.
Experience: A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I went to the link that you sent - download of MS Access 2010 Runtime and I guess that it wasn't obvious from the information there that the AccessRuntime.exe file was the component to include in a Package Solution. The "Instructions" below - item #2 suggest that the AccessRuntime.exe file is a "Setup" executable meant to perform some sort of installation. Does this then mean that the end user that receives my Package containing the AccessRuntime.exe file should be directed to also double click on the AccessRuntime.exe file and perform a "Setup"? Thanks.

Instructions

To install this download:
1. Download the file by clicking Download and saving the file to your hard disk.
2. Double-click the AccessRuntime.exe file on your hard disk to start the Setup program.
3. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.

I gave you the link to that page just so you can verify the name of the file. And the name of the file on the page was the same name as in your downloads. So you already download this.

It looks like you have a few options.

Require the Access 2010 Runtime to be downloaded if Access is not already installed. If Access 2010 is not already installed, then the user must download the Access 2010 Runtime from the Internet. The file name extension of the database that you specified in the File to package box will be changed to .accdr to ensure that your database always opens in run-time mode. If the user attempts to run the install package without Access 2010 or the Access 2010 Runtime installed, they will receive an error message that includes a URL where they can download the Access 2010 Runtime.
Require nothing and install the Microsoft Access 2010 Runtime. The Access 2010 Runtime will be installed with your application, even if Access 2010 is already installed. Use the Access 2010 Runtime setup package box to specify the location of the AccessRuntime.exe file on your computer. The file name extension of the database that you specified in the File to package box will be changed to .accdr to ensure that your database always opens in run-time mode.

So the second option I believe will package the Access 2010 Runtime and install it during the process. Or if you want to keep your package small then require then to download and install it with the first option above.