Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

I bought Microsoft office home and student 2010 from Best buy

Customer Question

I bought Microsoft office home and student 2010 from Best buy (cd version).
When I install the product it changes my start bar and start menu icons to a Office icon that when you click on it a office document appears that you cannot interact with and once you uninstall the program everything goes back as it was....what the heck is it?
I have run various cleaners, virus scans and other such programs and nothing seems to help.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Danielle-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes...still havent seen anything in response

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 4 years ago.

Please go to Start, control panel, uninstall a programs and uninstall all microsoft office program(s) (there may be a trial version there also), if available, then restart the computer.

The office disk might be bad; please do not use the disk, but go to the website:
https://www2.downloadoffice2010.microsoft.com/usa/registerkey.aspx?ref=backup&culture=en-US

to download and install your office, then see if it works.

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did as you instructed and the same thing happened as with the disk. Not sure what I can run on my pc that I havent tried to remove this problem.

I considered formatting my drive and reinstalling everything...not sure if that will be the answer.

Let's try one more thing: go to Start, control panel, user accounts and create a new administrator account, then restart the computer and log in the new account, and see if you can install office in the new account. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately the same thing happened....the icon look changed to non-discript but this time when I uninstalled it did NOT change the icons and would not completely uninstall all parts....end result I formated my drive and am currently reinstalling my OS and all the software.....Wish me luck. If I try to install again and this continues then there is something deeper in the hardware that is undectible.

OK, sorry, something is corrupted in windows. Back up your files first. Then after reinstalling windows, make sure to uninstall any microsoft office program you see in control panel first, then you can install your office. Good luck! Thank you.