Richard W
Richard W, IT Manager
Experience:  Have supported organizations using MS Office since 1996

I have an XLSX sheet with some information whited out for a

Customer Question

I have an XLSX sheet with some information whited out for a customer, however they can see the area I don't want them to see if they goto Page Break Preview - can I turn off this funtion so they can't see the pricing I'm trying to hide. I have protected the worksheet but you can still see it all in Page Break Preview.
Regards, Owen
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard W replied 2 years ago.

Richard W. :

My name isXXXXX will be happy to assist you today. If you would like me to assist in the future, just include Richard W. in the question title.

Richard W. :

Which version of Excel are you using?

Richard W. :

Also, you say you "whited out" an area? How did you do this?

Customer :

2010

Customer :

Changed the font colour

Richard W. :

Changed it to "white"?

Customer :

Change the font color the protected the worksheet

Customer :

Changed the font color then protected the worksheet

Richard W. :

Okay. Just a moment...

Richard W. :

Okay. What you can do is "lock" the cell and you can "hide" the cell. Then, when you protect the sheet, make sure that users cannot select locked cells. If the cells are hidden, then they should not be able to see them.

Richard W. :

More info coming...

Richard W. :

Here is my quick video demo: http://screencast.com/t/g238Up9z

Richard W. :

Please note that we are only compensated for our time helping you and others when our customers click the green "Accept" button. We do not receive a salary from JustAnswer. Also, positive feedback and tips are greatly appreciated! :-)

Richard W. :

If you need more info, just reply to this message, and I will be back to help further. :-)

Customer :

Thanks I wiil try to fix the problem - I am very new to Excel 2010 and find it hard to find the funtions in it. (used to excel XP - sort of.) but 2010 is so much different and hard to find the funtions.

Richard W. :

Did my video help? I showed where the functions for locking and hiding cells are found. You already seemed to know how to protect the sheet so I didn't show where I clicked on the screen to bring that up. I just right-clicked on the Sheet1 tab at the bottom left to bring up the context menu.

Customer :

I tried that but if you goto page break preview, you can still see all the data

Richard W. :

Did you use the "hide" option or just the "lock" option.

Richard W. :

?

Richard W. :

Did you make sure that when you protected the sheet that you made sure that under "Allow all users of this worksheet to:" you unchecked the "Select locked cells" option?

Customer :

I used Locked & Hide - users to use only unlocked cells then protected wooksheet? I will try again.

Richard W. :

Okay. That should work.

Customer :

Tried again - can't see cells in normal mode but can still see info in Page Break preview.

Richard W. :

Look here: http://screencast.com/t/Ko3f7jaFr8Ml

Richard W. :

I am willing to offer more assistance. I have Office 2010 and showed the exact steps to do to hide the information in your worksheet. We need to do some more investigation to figure out why it is not working on you end.

Customer :

It worked ok on sheet 1 - tried to do the same on sheet 2 -didn't work - tiied a few times - no go??

Richard W. :

Okay. Let me try that on my end.

Richard W. :

Give me a minute...

Richard W. :

It is working fine for me.

Richard W. :

Are these old worksheets with an .xls extension?

Richard W. :

Or were they converted from xls to xlsx?

Customer :

They are xlsx sheets. tried going through the same procedure only in page break preview mode & got it to work in sheet 2 & 3. There is another area in sheet 1 that I needed to add to the procedure but it did'nt work???

Customer :

I will undo the procedure in sheet 1 & redo selecting all the sells at the sme time .

Richard W. :

You might try running a repair on your Office installation. I am not having to fight with these features at all to make them work.

Richard W. :

You can apply a blanket lock and hide to all cells. If the end user does not need to make any changes, that should be fine.

Richard W. :

I have to step away for a minute, but I'll be right back.

Customer :

I can't undo the procedure? Thanks I'm running out of time at the moment so I will have to give this a miss until I get a chance to try again later. regards Owen.

Richard W. :

I know I have given you the correct steps and have answered the question and ahve spent a good deal of time here with you. Please let me know how it goes when you try it again later.

Customer :

The steps you gave were a bit confusing & didn't work that well.

Customer :

However I discovered myself the best way was to highlight the columbs that needed to be hiden,

Customer :

then went to format - visability - Hide columns - then Protected the work sheet.

Customer :

that seems to work OK.

Expert:  Richard W replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.