JasonJames122
JasonJames122, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I manage all information systems (network of Windows PC's and servers with Microsoft Office products) for a small business
62459030

I am using PP 2010 from Office Home Office & Business 2010.

Customer Question

I am using PP 2010 from Office Home Office & Business 2010. I have an existing PP presentation that I use and revise for teaching. On any slide, if I copy a text box and paste it into that slide to create another text box, the text is inserted with all text underlined. I do not want that to happen as I then have to go in and change the unerlining. If I type additional text into the pasted text box, it too is underlined and I have to change it. Can anyone tell me how to stop the automatic underlining of the pasted text?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  JasonJames122 replied 2 years ago.

Customer:

Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help you with your issue.

Customer:

There are 2 things you can try here.

#1: It may be that the slide master of the template you are using is affecting the formatting of the text boxes you paste. Here's how to change it:

1. In PowerPoint, on the ribbon toolbar, click the View tab.
  2. Click the Slide Master toolbar button.
  3. In the left pane, click the slide that most closely resembles the layout you are using when you experience this problem.
  4. On the slide in the right pane, set the formatting the way you want it to appear.
  5. Click the "Close Master View" button.
  6. Try it again and see if that fixed your problem.

If it did, great, we're done! If not, you can try the other option.

#2: You may need to change the default formatting for new text box objects. Here's how:

1. Get a text box looking the way you want it by manually adjusting the formatting.
  2. Select the text box.
  3. Right-click the text box border, and click "Set as default text box".
  4. Try it again and see if that does the trick.

Hopefully one of these two suggestions will work for you. Let me know if you need me to elaborate on anything I described above.

Best regards,

~XXXXX XXXXX, M.B.A.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried both solutions. The Master Slide does not have any underlined text, so the underlining is not comping from the Master. For the 2nd solution I selected the text bos and right clicked on the border, but there is no option to set as default. that is not on the list of things to do.
You might need to enter some random text in the text box to see that "set as default" option. I neglected to mention that I don't believe that command is available on text box placeholders (the ones that say "Click to add text" inside). There has to be actual text in the text box in order to use the "set as default" feature.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still not available

graphic

Your graphic did not come through; can you repost it so I can see what you are seeing?

Come to think of it, this only applies to newly drawn text boxes, not ones created by the template. Try drawing a new text box in some empty space on any random slide (you can delete it once the change is applied). To do this, go to the Insert tab on the ribbon toolbar, then click the Text Box button. Format the new text box the way you want it, then right-click the outside border and see if "Set as Default Text Box" is there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did as you suggested. 1st, when using the insert text box, the text is not undelined, so the insert works fine. I then cut and pasted an existing text box and the copies text box was underlined. I removed the underline and set as the default text and then saved the file. Then I reopened it and copied and pasted a text box and it still copies as underlined. The copy and paste does not follow the default text box formatting. For some reason, the paste adds the underlining and I cannot find any where to get rid of it. Any other ideas?
Another thing you can try is to tell PowerPoint to keep source formatting when you paste. Right after you paste, you should see a little clipboard icon that appears; if you click on it, you will get the option to keep source format or use destination format. It looks like this:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Choose the option to "Keep Source Formatting", and it should retain the appearance of the original.

(NOTE: If you don't see the clipboard icon, then that option may be turned off in your PowerPoint settings. You can go to Office Button > PowerPoint Options > Advanced > Cut, Copy & Paste, and turn it on by checking the Show Paste Options box.)
A couple of other thoughts:

• If you are inside another text box (i.e., you have a blinking cursor) when you do the paste, it could cause an issue like this. If you have a blinking cursor, press the Esc key twice to deselect it. Make sure nothing on the slide is selected, and then try your paste again.
  • If you have an existing text box selected at the time you do the paste (meaning there is a solid border around it), it could also do this. If you are trying to replace a text box that is already on the slide, try deleting the existing text box first, then making sure nothing on the slide is selected, and then trying the paste.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
These did not solve it either. I have resorted to a work around so I no longer have to have an answer.
I wish I could be of more help, but I'm glad you have found something that works for you.

Best regards,
~Jason