John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

i have a very large excel spreadsheet with inverted red triangles

Customer Question

i have a very large excel spreadsheet with inverted red triangles embedded in many of the cells along with data. when i place the cursor over the triangles they are noted as "picture 1521." i would like to get rid of them, have no idea where they come from. in addition the spreadsheet scrolls and saves very slowly. i do not know if this is due to the inverted triangles. the scrolling/saving problem only occurs with this file (again, it is very large)
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Would you be able to send me the file so I can take a look at the sheet and try to fix it. To do so go to http://www.wikisend.com/ and upload the file (no need to signup) then copy the "File ID" number (or the download link) that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the file is very large. can i send it to you as an email attachment?
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

We are not allowed to use email here. That links allows you to upload large files

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i just downloaded the file to wikisend.com but i do not see a "send" button
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i just downloaded the file to wikisend.com but i do not see a "send" button. does the download send it to you? have you received the file?
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Please follow the instructions that I gave you (in bold)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i just downloaded the file to wikisend.com but i do not see a "send" button. does the download send the file to you? let me know whether you received it, or not.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.
.....and upload the file (no need to signup) then copy the "File ID" number (or the download link) that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have downloaded the file and see a download link and forum link with file at the end of the subfiles. what more do i need to do to post the file to you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

john -- i have downloaded the file, but do not understand what more i am to do to post it to you.

hi john -- long delay receiving your response. i do not know whether you received the file.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://wikisend.com/download/347390/TIAA-CREF-Stock.xlsx

john -- i just copied the above. is this what you need?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i just copied this link. is this what you need?

it would be helpful if you would let me know you are working on the problem.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

I got it thanks.

Ok I'm on it now....

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
great -- please keep me posted
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Still working on it. There is a huge number of shapes which is creating conflict in the system resources. Will continue to work on but could take an hour or so to delete them. Accordingly I need to make sure I get paid for my time doing so.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi john -- i had to log-off after waiting so long for your reply.

it is now monday morning. there is not a problem paying for your time. however, it is not so much that i want you to eliminate the shapes, as much as i need to know how to eliminate them myself...ideally by using some utility program or whatever. it is no help to me if you return the file to me with the shapes removed. in fact, i have other files, similar to the present one, with the inverted red triangles. there are so many triangles, it makes no sense erasing them one by one. there must be some way to eliminate them all in one time. since i do not know how or why they were created and embedded in so many excel cells, i can only assume they are due to some sort of excel software problem. certainly, my concern is that they will return when i continue to work on those files, and therefore need to know how to eliminate them myself -- or prevent them from happening in the first place.

much thanks for your help. best, .........bill

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Sure, will send you the program as well so you can use it on you other files

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi john -- great - i am looking forward to receiving your response.

in the meantime, i have another problem; it's with my computer, a dell xps (m1330). the computer originally came with the vista operating system. however, i had the system deleted and windows 7 installed. since the installation, when i type, especially when i type rapidly, the cursor jumps to another part of the page inserting itself wherever. the jumping is rather random, and rather annoying. and, it happens whether i am typing email or word or any other software. i have search for a microsoft utility program to see if the matter can be corrected that way, no such thing. however, since it occurs when i am typing email (i use mozilla) it does not strike me that it is a windows problem, but something else. any quick suggestion how to solve the problem? such as, do i need to have windows 7 reinstalled or is there some way of solving the problem myself. ithe windows 7 was installed by the tech department where i am a college teacher. it is not a problem for them to do that......at no cost.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

ok

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok done!

The macro took over 50 mins to complete the deletion of 50,962 pictures. The repaired file is 1/10th the size of the original file

Here is a screenshot after running the macro

Let me know if it's ok so I can send the repaired file you the solution which you will be able to use on the other files

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi john -- terrific. if it took you all of 50 minutes to complete the clean up of the file, i am enormously impressed. please let me know the solution so that i can perform the clean-up on the other files.

in addition, have you any suggestions about the second matter i brought to your attention about the cursor jumping around as i type. for whatever reason, it is not jumping as i am typing this response to you, but i anticipate it will.

aha, it just did. that problem remains unresolved.

in any event, please let me know your charge for your work.

best, .........bill
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Great. Glad this is what you wanted. I will send you the file with the code shortly. In the meantime you can go ahead and click Accept so I get credit for my time.

Will also look at the other issue. You can add a bonus later if you like

John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Thanks

Ok here you go

http://www.2shared.com/file/W9vhv6jL/TIAA-CREF-Stock_repaired.html

(make sure to click the blue DOWNLOAD button at the bottom of the download page)

As for the jumping cursor, there are two common causes for this

First, when you're typing you are accidentally touching your touch-pad which causes the cursor to move around. Try turning the touch pad off when typing or lower the sensitivity of the touch pad from the control panel

The other thing that could cause this is another program running in the background which is taking up the processor time and causing delay in the cursor response. Go to the Task manger and see which process is using up the CPU when that happens

Hope this helps

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
john -- you have given me this website http://www.2shared.com/file/W9vhv6jL/TIAA-CREF-Stock_repaired.html, : but i have no idea what i am supposed to do, both to download the file you repaired, and how to fix the files that are also corrupted. i went to the site and downloaded it but all sorts of utilities programs came up. you need to be more specific so that i know precisely what to do.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Bill, I added this remark with the link that I gave you

"(make sure to click the blue DOWNLOAD button at the bottom of the download page)"

So when you click on that 2shared.com link that I gave you, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the blue download button to start downloading the excel file. Here is a screenshot showing that button

graphic

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Here is another link, just in case

Attachment: 2012-01-11_033153_tiaa-cref-stock_repaired.zip

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
john -- i was able to download the repaired file (it is read only file......took a bit of doing). however, you need to tell me how to clean-up the other files that have the red inverted triangles. what did you do? i note in the repaired file is a statement "to run the macro press alt +f8 then click run." i did that, it doesn't do anything.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Your macros might be disabled. You need to enable macros in your Excel settings so macros are allowed to run

If you need further help let me know which version of Excel you are running

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
got it. alt+f8 and run. it works. if i run into any other problems i'll be sure to get back to you. thank you for the help. best, ........bill
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Great. You're welcome