Jason
Jason, Computer Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years work experience.

I use Outlook 2010 (32 bit) with Windows 7 (64 bit). My read

Customer Question

I use Outlook 2010 (32 bit) with Windows 7 (64 bit). My read receipts do not update the tracking information of the original e-mail in the Sent Mail folder. Rather, they just stay in the Inbox and I file them for reference. How can this be resolved?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am still waiting for an answer. Thank you.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Expert with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for an Expert or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like to continue with my questions. I can wait.
Expert:  Danielle-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right Expert. Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately, upon your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this latest e-mail indicated that you will not be able to answer this question?
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 2 years ago.
My Name is Andrew, I will be helping you today. If I provide good service, you may ask for The-PC-Guy in your question title for your future needs.

I will be providing you with an answer, Sorry it took a while.

1. open outlook
2. goto the file tab
3. click options
4. in the options window click "mail"
5. scroll down to the tracking section
6. make sure the following items are checked,
a. automatically update original sent item with receipt info
b. after updating tracking info move receipt too
7. click the browse option and select "sent items" or whatever folder you want
8. click ok on all windows to close.
9. close outlook to apply changes.
10. next time you open outlook changes will take effect, they may or may not effect any receipts you currently have, but will effect all future receipts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I indicated in the original question that these options are already turned on. I have confirmed this again. Do you have any other suggestions?
what folder are you telling it to send to for number 7 from the above directions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have created a special folder called "Receipts" for these items.
and that is the folder you have the items set to go to and they are not? Are any of them going there or is it just a few?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When a receipt arrives in the Inbox, it is not processed. It just stays in the Inbox and I have been moving them manually. The problem is consistent where the read receipts (if the recipient sends one) arrives back in my Inbox and nothing happens to it--it neither updates the original sent mail item nor is it moved to the Receipts folder.

With Outlook 2003, the receipts would arrive and then shortly later would be removed from the Inbox--you usually could see this happening. In my Outlook 2010, the process used to work but was never visible--you never saw the receipts land in the Inbox first. Now it is not happening at all.
sorry, the settings that I told you about are the only ones I am aware of that effect that. I am sorry that I was not able to help you further. Would you like me to refer the question to another expert? At this point I have told you to try everything that I can think of on the subject.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I would like to pursue this further if someone else can help me.
absolutely, I am sorry that I was unable to assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
The answer provided was not correct for the situation--I had clearly indicated that the suggested answer was NOT the problem in the original question.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Greetings,

Welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Jason and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I remote into your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am happy for your to do this work. I am in Sydney so there is quite a time difference from the US. Please let me know when we can arrange this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am happy for you to do this work. I am in Sydney so there is quite a time difference from the US. Please let me know when we can arrange this.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

I am available now and will be for the next 12 hours.

Please, let me know when you are ready for the remote link.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jason,

Sorry for the long delay getting back to you. I am available now if you are.

Alan
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

I can send you a remote link in 30 minutes.

Is that okay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good. How will you send it?

Alan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let me know when you are ready.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=e43bc800-1a8f-4def-b4aa-294c04484e6e&SUPPORT=NET

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

When you are ready, please let me know.

That last link has expired.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I had an appointment. Ready to go now if you are.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you are available on Saturday. I am 16 hours ahead of US EST. Please send me a text message at +61 401 989 512.

Thanks,

Alan
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Hello Alan,

I am available now for the next hour.

I will become available again at 7:00 AM (EST) until 9:00 PM (EST).

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jason--I am available now if you are.

Alan
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

We can begin tomorrow as you wish.

My day begins in 9 hours (5 AM - PST).

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is now okay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will let you know when I am available tomorrow.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good morning, Jason. I am available now if you are.

Alan
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Good morning Alan,

May I send the remote link right now?

- Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=cbad28e9-4b99-467a-8f3c-7fdb8abd396f&SUPPORT=NET

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

I wish you luck,
- Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, Jason.