namstech
namstech, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Expert in Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio

Outlook 2010 acting weird. It wont close properly, sometimes

Customer Question

Outlook 2010 acting weird. It won't close properly, sometimes won't open, have to force a restart, then open in safe mode, seems to have affected the performance of the computer, for example when I want to open prinetrs and devices it refuses to open
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  namstech replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!

Run the following command to open Outlook and check if the problem stays.

1. Click Start, in Search type

Outlook.exe /resetnavpane

Please notice that there is a space between Outlook.exe /resetnavpane

This will start Outlook. Check if you still get the problem.

Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried what you suggested, open right away, closed properly, but now it will now open, even if I type the suggested command in the search box
Expert:  namstech replied 2 years ago.
Restart computer and check if you can open it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Restarted computer and opened from the start menu
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Restarted computer and opened from the start menu it asked to open in safe mode and I refused the request. It opened in normal mode and its working, its when i try to shut outlook down, task manager does not show the application running but i need to force a shut down
Expert:  namstech replied 2 years ago.
I see.

Now try the following command instead of Outlook.exe /resetnavpane

Outlook.exe /cleanviews

Let me know if this doesn't help as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It worked for a couple of times. Thought it was fixed. Restarted computer it opened rite away but then it failed to close. In the notification window when you place the mouse over the icon it says "outlook closing" infinete turning douhnut
Expert:  namstech replied 2 years ago.
Let us try a repair on Outlook.

Click Start and in search, type the following and press Enter.

Add or remove programs

In the dialog that opens, select Microsoft Office Outlook if it is installed separately or select Microsoft Office and click 'Uninstall/Change' button on top of the list. This will open a dialog. In that dialog when prompted to select an action to perform, select the repair option and proceed with the repair.

Once repair finishes, check if you still have the problem.

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I uninstalled outlook and reinstalled it yesterday with no change in results.
Expert:  namstech replied 2 years ago.
Seems it might be due to a malware. Antivirus's like Norton etc. normally can't remove all malwares. You can try Malwarebytes from the following link to scan and remove any Malwares on your computer. Here is the link:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Download, install and scan your computer with this. You don't need to purchase it, the trial version will suffice.

Once you run it, make sure to identify that it reads 'Malwarebytes' at the top of the software interface. Sometimes the malwares don't allow the genuine anti-malware to download and run.

Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Downloaded the Malware removal program. installed, and ran it. At the top or the program it was written 'Malwarebytes'

There were 2 items one invoving the registry. Restarted the computer, opened outlook 2010 closed outlook then it failed to open, again in the notification box the icon was reporting that outlook was still closing. also i cannot open my devices and printers window, so ther is more to this! I made a sytem image back-up a week ago. last night i restore the sytem image to my computer. The devices and printers opened up quickly, the computer worked great, but when I open outlook ( 2or3 times) it refused to close, devices and printers have not been able to load since then. could it be networking problem, this is my desktop machine and we use a homegroup three other laptops and xbox360.

Expert:  namstech replied 2 years ago.
Have you restarted your computer after the scan? If not, do that and see if you still have the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
restarted twice, same problem outlook not closing
Expert:  namstech replied 2 years ago.
I see.

Do you have too many emails in Outlook?

Have you tried repairing your pst file using scanpst.exe?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried typing in scanpst in the search box and it does not reconize anything!
Expert:  namstech replied 2 years ago.
It can be located at

:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

where Drive Letter refers to the drive where the Windows is installed.

Do you know how to use it to repair the pst file?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
never heard of it before
Expert:  namstech replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Let us try to repair your Outlook pst file. It can be done as follows:

Before you can repair the file, you need to show hidden files and folder. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, in search type

Folder Options

and press Enter.

2. In the dialog that opens, click View tab and then click the options

Show hidden files, folder and drives

and uncheck the box next to

Hide extensions of known file types

3. Click OK.

Having done that, locate scanpst.exe in the following location and double click to open it:

Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

Where Drive can be C:, D: etc (the drive where windows is installed.

Once scanpst.exe is open, click the Browse button and locate outlook.pst file which normally resides in the following location:

disk drive:\users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Where username is XXXX XXXXXXX user name.

Once the file is located, click Start button and follow prompts to repair the file.

Once it finishes, check if you still have the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still the same problem, maybe its something other than outlook that is causing this, I cannot print, the print spooler does not load, thus no devices and printers, just my hunch, there were very few errors in the pst file. sorry!
Expert:  namstech replied 2 years ago.
Again. Did you restart computer? :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  namstech replied 2 years ago.
Hi again.

Let us try check if any system files are corrupted and need to repaired. It can be done as follows:

1. Click Start and in search, type

cmd

and then right click on cmd result on top and select 'Run As Administrator'.

2. In the command window that opens, type the following and press Enter.

sfc /scannow

Again, please note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow.

Once it finishes, restart computer and check.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't hear from you for many hours. I did not know what to do so I called
Dell paid a significant amount money and they fixed my computer. I hope that I will not have to pay for your service!