Zabo04
Zabo04, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Experienced in Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, and Outlook.
58597962

Hello there. I was wondering if you could please help me. I

Customer Question

Hello there.

I was wondering if you could please help me.

I am using a Microsoft excel program 2003.

I am trying to organise the spreadsheet so I can find :

My best customers.

Frequency of purchase to see if they purchased more than once

Can you please tell me how I am organise the columns to help me achieve these objectives

Very best regards

James Whittle
[email protected] [email protected]
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Zabo04 replied 5 years ago.

Zabo04 :

The fastest way to accomplish this would be to add a column, such that it displays the total number of orders by a customer, then sort by this column

Zabo04 :

you want to use the countif function, which takes a range (the cells over which to look for the same customer), and the equality

Zabo04 :

So if A1 has the name of the customer, then put in the new column: =countif( $A1:$A4000, A1)

Zabo04 :

then you can copy and paste this formula down the rest of the new column and next to each order summary (I'm assuming each line is an order summary) you will see how many times that customer has ordered. Sort by this new column (in descending order), and the best customers will rise to the top, now it will show all orders, because you haven't done anything to remove multiples, that would require a macro, and it would not be automated, you would have to press a button

Zabo04 :

After of course the macro was coded and the button was linked to the macro, a lot of people do not like the security and trust center setting issues that come with macros, not a big risk if you know where your documents come from, but a small risk.