Sergio A.
Sergio A., Computer Technologist
Experience:  I have 15+ years experience installing, configuring, troubleshooting and using MS Office products.

Every time I click on IE I get a popup asking me to choose

Customer Question

Every time I click on IE I get a popup asking me to choose which program to open with; then it asks me to run or save. Nothing happens. I submitted thi question a few minutes ago on the infected laptop as I was ableto open IE as the administrator. Andy, replied, but I was unable to answer him so I am starting all over.

I forgot to add that when i try to open any Microsoft item, like WORD, I get this error:

C:Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE

Application not found

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is Sergio. Thanks for allowing me to help you.

It sounds like your system is corrupt. Did you get a virus or have a crash anytime recently? I would suggest doing a system restore using the following instructions:

Click the Windows Start button then All Programs, then Accessories then System Restore or System Tools then System Restore. Click Next and then click a restore point dated prior to when the issue first occurred and click Next. Confirm the System Restore and the restore will be applied and the computer will reboot. Then retest to see if the issue is resolved.

Let me know if this does not resolve the problem.

Thanks

Sergio

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This didn't work. Once I click on System Restore, the same box pops up asking "what program do I want to use to open with?"
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
OK, it seems like your PC is really hurting. Let's try going into safe mode to see if you can access system restore. Use the following procedure to get into safe mode, then follow the instructions to try the restore again.

1) Restart your computer.

2) When the machine first starts it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc.

3) When it is finished with that start tapping the F8 key until you are presented with a menu of options. If you see the "Starting Windows..." message then it means that it went too far, so you'll have to start over again.

4) Once you get the menu, select the option for Safe Mode with Networking, using the arrow keys.

5) Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks
Sergio
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I booted in Safe Mode and went to System Restore but had the same outcome. When I click on System Restore it still asks me "what program do I want to use to open?"

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.

Let's see if this gets you going...

Open Notepad: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad
If you cannot open Notepad, press CTRL ALT DEL (simultaneously), and open Task Manager.
Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key
Click: New Task (Run)
This opens a Command Prompt window.
Enter: Notepad, and press Enter.

Now, copy and paste ALL the Registry code that appears below into Notepad, including the Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 portion

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
@="Application"
"EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00
"TileInfo"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion"
"InfoTip"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion;Create;Size"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PEAnalyser]
@="{09A63660-16F9-11d0-B1DF-004F56001CA7}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PifProps]
@="{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\ShimLayer Property Page]
@="{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}"

In Notepad go to File and select: Save as
Save as: xpexefix.reg
Save to the Desktop

Now, go to the Desktop
Double click on the xpexefix.reg file

When prompted, say yes to merge into Registry
Reboot to take effect.

~~~~
If double-clicking on the xpexefix.reg file does not work, then:

Press CTRL ALT DEL (simultaneously) and open Task Manager.
In Task Manager, click File
Press the CTRL key and click New Task (Run).

At the Command Prompt, type the following: regedit.exe
Press: Enter

In the Registry Editor window, click File > Import and locate the xpexefix.reg
file you copied to Notepad. It is on the Desktop.

Highlight the xpexefix.reg file, and click Open.

You will be notified when the file is merged successfully into the Registry

Now, restart the computer.

Once we get this fixed then we can try to determine the cause, which is very likely to be a virus.

Thanks for your patience.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

At "merge" I am getting an error that says:

"Cannot import C:\Users\admin\Desktop\xpexefix.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes."

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
OK, reboot your machine and do it in Safe Mode.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Safe Mode with Networking.

okay, done.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

System restore works in Safe Mode. How do I choose a restore point?

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
You should see a calendar where you can choose a date. You should choose a date before you started having problems. If it works then great, but either way, download, install, and then run each of these programs in Safe Mode With Networking. You may have to download and install them in normal mode, but should run them in safe mode. This is to clean your system and check for malware. I have to step out for a bit, but I can monitor your progress from my cell phone.

Ccleaner - this will remove unnecessary files from your PC and free up a significant amount of space, including temporary internet files. Run it 2 or 3 times.

http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/

1. Click the above link and then select Download
  1. Once the file is done downloading, launch the installer and follow the prompts
  1. I would recommend unchecking any options that ask if you want to install any add-on software, like Yahoo toolbar.
  1. Follow the prompts to complete the installation
  2. Once installed, launch the program from your Desktop or Start Menu
  1. Click on the Analyze button on the bottom of the screen (optional - uncheck any items that you do not wish to scan)
  1. Check to be sure nothing will be deleted that you may want to retain. It is rare to want to keep any of the files.
  2. Click Run Cleaner, this will delete all of the unnecessary files.

Malwarebytes - this will scan for and remove viruses and other malware. Be sure to update it after you install it. You can run this in normal mode, but you may have problems, so I would suggest running it in Safe Mode (instructions below). Run this at least twice or until nothing is found.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have ESET currently. Just got it. My troubles on this laptop began when I deleted th other softwares and installed ESET. But my other laptops run well on ESET. This software took the place of my old Malawarebytes and AVG softwares.

Is this software okay with what you are asking to do to clean or earch my system for viruses?

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, they should not affect anything. I personally use AVG Free and MalwareBytes...they work perfectly and are very lightweight.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was able to run ESET and found zero viruses. I am now able to open IE, but am unable to go any further than the front page (i.e. msn.com). When I type in a website or click on a link I get the message "Internet has stopped working - Search web for solution and close program or Close program". Searching internet for solution doesn't do anything either.

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been away from my computer. Were you able to run Ccleaner and Malwarbytes?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was able to download ccleaner and run it in Safe Mode but unable to download Malwarebytes. Laptop continues to say "Internet has stopped working" so the Malwarebytes download can't complete. Ccleaner download took less time and was able to complete before the popup came up and the internet shut down.
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.

OK, did you try the restore yet? That may be the best option. Another idea is to try and download an alternate browser, which may give you the stability to get to malwarebytes. Here is a link to Google Chrome…it’s the smallest browser out there:

https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95346

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunatly, nothing worked and I had to take it to a computer repair store. Its still there so I don't know the problem yet.

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
OK. It's mostly likely going to need to be completely restored. Just make sure you ask them where they put your backups, because I've seen many people leave the shop without being able to access their old files.

Good luck
Sergio