Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

How can I recover a deleted excel worksheet

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Which version of excel are you using, 2003, 2007, 2010?

Which operating system are you using windows xp, vista, 7?

Did you actually delete the file by mistake? Please tell me what happened leading up to you losing the spreadsheet.

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm using 2007, and my system is Vista. Yes, I deleted the information by mistake. I was in page setup and there were extra pages that printed and I only wanted to get rid of the extra pages. My worksheet had a page break, making it two pages on one sheet but ot also had a whole bunch of other blank sheets that I wanted to get rid of.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Here is my first answer based on the infor you have gave me.

Please try pressing CTRL and Z at the same time which will undo the recent changes you have made.

If that does not work please tell me did you Save the file after you deleted the information?

Do not click accept if this does not resolve the problem and we will continue to work on it.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No that didn't recover it. No I didn't save the file after deleting the sheet because my information wasn't there.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Have you ever saved this document?

Is the spreadsheet still open of when you were working on it originally?

If you never saved your work then you need to try teh undo option which was ctrl Z or edit and choose undo. If the document has been closed or there is nothing to undo the option will not be available.

Please let me know if you saved the document at any point.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had saved it previously,. I was editing the material and hadn't resaved it after making the changes. I printed it, and saw all the extra pages and that's when I tried to delete the extras, but I lost the whole sheet not just the parts I had highlighted to delete. I t was just gone and I haven't been able to follow the Help steps to recover it. Nor does this seem to be working. But I appreciate the try.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok if you didn't save the changes and the UNDO option is not working then I am afraid you will need to open your last saved version and work from that.

Have a look at this article which will teach you how to use autosave in the future to prevent this from happening again.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/automatically-save-and-recover-office-files-HP010140729.aspx

Here are quick instructions on configuring:
1) While Excel 2007 is open, go to the top left corner and click on the MS Office ribbon button
2) Click on the Excel Options button to the lower right corner of the window (this option is to the immediate left of Exit Excel
3) With the Excel Options window, look in the left for pane for the Save option
4) Under Save Workbooks, select the Save AutoRecover information every _ minutes where you select the time interval Excel should be saving AutoRecover info for such instances.

If you do find that you had autosave configured look for the path to where the autosaves are kept within the setup window and you can try to recover your work that way.

If you need further help please click "reply to expert" to let me know.

If you are satisfied with my answer please click accept.

Thank You

Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.