jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

When I try to open microsoft word, I get this message... "Microso

Customer Question

When I try to open microsoft word, I get this message... "Microsoft Office Word has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application."

I have run setup, and I have deleted and reinstalled Office. Nothing works.

I have Windows XP and Microsoft Office student and Teacher Edition 2003.

Help. Please
Dee
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dee and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Can you try the following for me and tell me what happens?

1. Click Start -> Run.
  2. Type winword and click OK.
  3. Does word open, or do you get the error message again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I get a message that says... Windows cannot find winword.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

OK do other application works correctly (Excel, Powerpoint, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing works... Word, Excel, Outlook, or PowerPoint.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

OK let's try to fix this. Please do the following:

1. Click Start -> Run.
  2. Paste the following into the run window: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\
  3. Click OK.
  4. In the resulting window, look for the Opa11.dat. Right click that file and choose Delete.

After doing that your office programs should open. Let me know if this is not the case. Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It didn't work.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

OK let's try removing Office 2003 using the automatic Microsoft tool here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179

Click that link and then click the Fix It under the Office 2003 Suites heading. Choose to run the download and it will remove Office 2003 completely, including shortcuts, etc.

After that, please reinstall Office 2003 using your CD. Let me know if the problem continues. Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It still is not working.

Shortly after I clicked on the Fix It under the Office 2003 Suites heading I got the following message.

"The installer has encounted an unexpected error installing this package. This amy indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2908."

That message went away and "fix it" continued removing Office. After the removal, I reinstalled Office.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK and you are still getting the same error message?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

OK please try the following and let me know if you still get the same error:

1. Click Start -> My Computer.
  2. Go into Local Disk C:
  3. Go into Program Files.
  4. Go into Microsoft Office.
  5. Go into Office 11.
  6. Double click the excel.exe (icon is a green x).

Does excel start or do you get the error?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I get the same error message.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK let's try logging in as another user and see if the problem persists. Do you have any other user accounts setup on this computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I setup another user account and office word, excel, etc. are now working under the new user account.

Except now all my settings are gone so I really wish we could have corrected the problem under my user name... but thanks for your help... at least I can get into word now.

I notice that the charge is $38.00... however, when I was trying to get back to this site, there was a $24.00 charge. Which is correct. I hope it is the $24.00.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there any way this problem can be fixed under my user name?
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry for the delay. The problem can definitely be fixed under your user account, did you get my previous instructions? Here they are again just in case:

1. Login as your username.
  2. Click Start -> Run.
  3. Type regedit and click OK.
  4. In the registry editor, go to hkey_Current_user\software\microsoft\office.
  5. Right click the 11.0 folder under office and choose Export and save it.
  6. Right click the 11.0 folder under office again and choose Delete.
  7. Close registry editor.
  8. Try to open an Office application and it should start correctly after a short installation process.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It did not work... I get the same message.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

OK then you will need to login as the other user again and do the following:

1. Open every Office application to make sure they all work.
  2. Click Start -> Run.
  3. Type regedit and click OK.
  4. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Office, and highlight Office
  5. Then right click on Office, and go to Export, save the .reg file to somewhere you will be able to find it (I suggest the C: drive)
  6. Switch back over to your normal account.
  7. Double click the file you saved in step 5. You should be asked if you want to merge the data. Click Yes or OK.

After doing that, try opening Office applications again. Good luck!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I try to save the file, "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office", it tells me "Path does not exist. Please verify the correct path was given".

Am I doing something wrong?

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

That is very strange. To clarify, you are in the Registry Editor, correct?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

At the top of the box, it says "Export Registry File". At the bottom it says "Export range" and under that there are two choices "all" and "selected branch". Selected branch is already marked. Under that is the path "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office". But I cannot put it in the box to be saved. That's when it tells me "Path does not exist. Please verify the correct path was given."

I tried saving just "HKEY_CURREN_USER" and it took as a .reg file saved in the C:drive. I right clicked on this .reg file and hit merge and when I opened Word, Excel, etc., after saving this, word, excel, etc. opened without it telling me "Microsoft office has not been installed for the current user". I tried typing in a word document, but after a few seconds it froze up and I had to ctrl, alt, delete to close word. It did the same thing in excel, etc.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

Ah OK well at least we are making progress!

I am afraid I am out of ideas here however and I will opt out so that other techs can assist you. I'm very sorry I wasn't more help and wish you good luck getting this resolved.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
My tech recommends that I try other techs to help with my computer problem. This is what he said:

"Ah OK well at least we are making progress! I am afraid I am out of ideas here however and I will opt out so that other techs can assist you. I'm very sorry I wasn't more help and wish you good luck getting this resolved. Thank you!"

I hope there is someone who can fix my issues with Microsoft Office. Thank you.
Expert:  NewITZone replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. This is Mahbub Shahin can assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't understand you. Are you asking how you can assist me. If so, please read all the above discussion between myself and Erik.

If you cannot help me, please give my problem to another tech to help me asap.

Thank you.

Expert:  NewITZone replied 2 years ago.
I am apologize. In this time I am helping some one. So I opt out and leave this question for other experts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I need another tech.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My status says "finished" . That is not true. My problem was not solved. Please either help me or do not charge me.
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name is John and I am an expert with JustAnswer.com. Thank you so much for using our services. I do believe I can help you with your problem today.

I love a good challenge and I hope together we can get this issue resolved.
Please read the following and then do the prescribed fix. Keep me posted if this helps.

This issue occurs when the non-administrative user accounts on the computer do not have permission to modify specific files that are used by the Office 2003 Setup program or the Office XP Setup program. These files are used by the Office 2003 Setup program or the Office XP Setup program to register different accounts for access to the Office programs. This issue may occur if a Group Policy high-security template was applied to the computer and if the high-security template restricts access to the following file:

Office 2003C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\Opa11.datOffice XPC:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\Data.datIf the non-administrative user accounts cannot modify this file, users cannot start any Office 2003 programs or Office XP programs on the computer. The Opa11.dat file and the Data.dat file are hardware specific and are compiled during installation of Office.

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
  1. Log on to the computer by using an Administrator user account.
  2. Start Microsoft Windows Explorer.
  3. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
  4. Click the View tab.
  5. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.
  6. Click to clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.
  7. Open the following folder:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\
  8. If you are running Office 2003, right-click Opa11.dat, and then click Properties. If you are running Office XP, right-click Data.dat, and then click Properties.
  9. Click the Security tab.
  10. Click Advanced.
  11. Click the Permissions tab.
  12. Click to select Everyone in the Permission entries list, and then click Edit.
  13. Click to select the Full Control check box.
  14. Click OK three times.
If these steps do not resolve this issue, delete the Opa11.dat file or the Data.dat file from the following folder, and then restart an Office 2003 program or an Office XP programC:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't tried it yet. I will let you know asasp. Thanks
Thanks I look forward to your answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It still does not work. At this point, I am just giving up as I don't believe there is an answer. I followed the steps you gave me until I got to No. 9. There is no security tab... and I have tried the same things with one of the other techs. I have probably really messed up my computer from trying all the things the techs have told me. I have also gone to the microsoft support site and it basically tells me the same things as all the techs on your site. I don't know what I'm going to do, since I don't have the money to buy a new computer or a newer office program. So anyway, thank you for trying.

If the security tab is missing then one of two things is going on. Your to an Administrator on the computer, which would go back to this problem. Also you may have had a virus or maleware at one point in time an this caused some of your properties to be hidden on you. So dont give up just yet. If you have done what we told you to do, you have not messed up your computer. Some problems take a little more patients to get them squashed completley.

Let go to start then Control Panel. And follow these steps and see if we can get your security tab back.

Missing Security Tab in Windows XP

If you have Windows XP, and your hard drive is formatted as NTFS, you can set permissions on files so that only users you specify can access them. However, if your Windows XP computer is not part of a Domain on a network, you may notice that there is no Security tab when you right-click a file and choose Properties. For some reason, the default for Windows XP computers that are part of a Domain is to have that visible.
For Windows XP computers that are not part of a Domain (they are stand-alone, or part of a workgroup), the default is to have the Security tab hidden.

To reveal the Security tab follow three simple steps:

1. Open Windows Explorer, and choose Folder Options from the Tools menu.
  2. On the View tab, scroll to the bottom of the Advanced Settings and clear (click) the check box next to "Use Simple File Sharing."
  3. Click OK to apply the change, and you should now have a Security tab when viewing the properties of a file on an NTFS volume.

Additionally you can visit this link to get more info :

How to Set Security in Windows XP Professional That Is Installed in a Workgroup : http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290403

Now try the steps again up above and see if you can get past step 9.

Dont give up on me yet.