Erik B.
Erik B., Consultant
Experience:  Well versed in several editions of Microsoft Office.
18224842

A year ago I bought a new laptop which included Office 2010,

A year ago I bought a new laptop which included Office 2010, after my old one with Office 2003 died. I paid CompUSA to transfer everything from the old hard drive to the new lap top. They didn't tell me they only transferred data, not the software.

Anyway, Office 2010 worked, which means they had the code number which came with the computer. Then the laptop crashed. Lenovo restored the hardrive under the warranty, but Office doesn't work. I get the message "Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 cannot verify the license for this product. You should repair the Office program by using Control Panel".

Repairing by using Control Panel does nothing.

After hours on the phone waiting (mostly) or talking with both Lenovo and Microsoft, it has been determined that without the original Office code number, the software currently on the machine cannot be made to work.

CompUSA obviously does not have the original code number they used to originally set it up and they never gave it to me when they returned the machine.

Subsequently, I bought a new copy of Office Professional Academic 2010.

My question (please read it carefully, I'm only interested in the answer to this question, not the answer to some other question):

HOW DO I INSTALL THIS NEW VERSION OVER THE VERSION THAT IS ALREADY ON THE MACHINE OR REPLACING THE VERSION ALREADY ON THE MACHINE, BUT NOT "ACTIVATED"?

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

The best way to do this is to uninstall the current version of Office and then use your new disk to install Office again. Here's how:

1. CLICK HERE and then click the Fix It button under the Office 2010 Suites heading.
  2. Run the file that downloads and it will go through a wizard which will completely remove the old version of 2010.
  3. Once the old version is gone, insert your new disk and proceed with the install. It should install as new this time and prompt you for your new keycode.

Good luck and thanks!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The "Click Here" (and your response) is on my desktop, I can't use the laptop for e mail. How do I do the uninstall on the laptop. (I'm very good with commercial property/liability insurance, virtually helpless when manipulating computers).

Ah OK, please use this link then (just type it into your Internet browser on the laptop):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179

That will take you to the page with the Fix It, and you should then be able to continue my instructions. Sorry about that!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, the Fix It I needed wouldn't download for some reason so I just installed Revo Uninstaller and it took care of the job, and I installed the new software with no problem Thanks very much.