EADADDARIO
EADADDARIO, MicrosoftOfficeGuru
Experience:  Microsoft Office guru, especially Microsoft Excel
62889167

when i close one word document, it automatically closes all

Customer Question

when i close one word document, it automatically closes all Word documents, without saving any of them
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.

ITTechQ&A :

Hi, Thanks for contacting JustAnswer.com I am Cris and will assist you with your question.

Customer :

are you there?

Customer :

i'm sorry, i'm having a difficult time finding the answer to my question

Customer :

Is my answer on the website somewhere?

Customer :

Am I supposed to just hang out and wait for a live chat to answer the question?

ITTechQ&A :

Hi

ITTechQ&A :

Sorry I apologize for the delay.

Customer :

hi there

Customer :

no problem

ITTechQ&A :

So your Word program is not saving any documents, what version of word are you using? 2003, 2007 or 2010?

Customer :

2003 student

Customer :

whenever i save the current Word i am working on, it closes every other open word document at the same time

Customer :

[I'm sorry, I mean the current Word DOC I am working on]

ITTechQ&A :

How are you saving the file are you going file save or closing out to save?

Customer :

File; save;

Customer :

then file; exit

ITTechQ&A :

Has it always done this or just starting happening?

Customer :

just started a week or so ago

Customer :

i also have an error that comes up when booting up about a corrupt file in Feature Manager - then it restores a "backup file"

Customer :

don't know if this is part of the issue or not

Customer :

i may have an undetected virus - tried to do a system restore and none of the 20+ dates I chose would allow a restore yesterday. i'm back up today but could only restore to a very recent date so it did not solve the Word problem or the "corrupt file" error that pops up.

ITTechQ&A :

You have attempted a system restore correct?

Customer :

over and over and over yesterday

Customer :

i could only restore back to 12/26 and it didn't solve the issues

ITTechQ&A :

OK, let's see if we can run a repair on the Microsoft Office suite.

Customer :

okay

ITTechQ&A :

Click on "Start" then control panel.

Click on Add/Remove Programs.

ITTechQ&A :

Highlight Microsoft Office on the list and select the change box.

Customer :

hold on

Customer :

my mouse is not cooperating

ITTechQ&A :

The Office Installer will open. Select Repair and run it.

Customer :

when i hover over the start menu, it shows a timer and won't do anything

Customer :

this chat is the only open program i have going, but i cannot do anything through start menu with the time image showing

Customer :

i guess it's called the "hourglass" symbol for the mouse - it seems stuck on that

Customer :

i can minimize this window and find things through icons on my desktop though. any chance we can go in through the "my computer" icon on my desktop to find add/remove programs?

ITTechQ&A :

No

ITTechQ&A :

Seems like you may have some other issues as well on your PC.

Customer :

i think so - since doing the system restore it seems i have another issue now

ITTechQ&A :

Is the PC using a wired or wireless connection for internet?

Customer :

wireless

ITTechQ&A :

XP?

Customer :

yes

ITTechQ&A :

OK, you will need to boot the computer into safe mode give me a moment.

Customer :

okay

Customer :

so do you want me to try that now?

ITTechQ&A :

Do you know how to boot into safe mode.

ITTechQ&A :

In safe mode since you are using XP and a wireless connection you will not have internet access.

Customer :

I think so - i press f12 when first booting up?

ITTechQ&A :

Save this page to your favorites/bookmarks, so you can easily get back to the site. When you reach the site click on login (top right) and use the email you created the JustAnswer account with. If you don’t know the password XXXXX on “forgot password” and it will be sent to your email. Once you are logged in click on “my questions” to get back to our conversation.

ITTechQ&A :

Restart the computer and start tapping the F8 key repeatedly until advanced options appears.

ITTechQ&A :

Then using the keyboard arrows scroll down to safe mode hit enter.

ITTechQ&A :

Then run a repair on Microsoft Office.

Customer :

okay, and then after i run that repair, it will reboot and i can then get online again?

ITTechQ&A :

Yes correct reboot the PC normally and you will have internet access.

Customer :

okay, i'll give her a whirl. thanks a bunch and talk to you shortly

ITTechQ&A :

no problem.

Customer :

hi, are you back?

Customer :

yesterday i lost you after you had me reboot. here's what happened:

Customer :

IN SAFE MODE

Tried Microsoft Office repair, but when I clicked on “Change” option it said Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode or if the Windows installer is not correctly installed."

REBOOT (not in safe mode)

Tried Microsoft Office repair, but after inserting the CD I got this error message:

A required installation file E2561412.CAB could not be found

ITTechQ&A :

OK, try to uninstall the entire office suite and then reinstall.

Customer :

will i lose my auto-correct entries if I do this?

ITTechQ&A :

No your created documents will not be touch all of your created files in office stay in place. You are just removing and reinstalling the software.

Customer :

I don't mean the docs tho

Customer :

I mean the "auto-correct" entries in the program itself -- they are like short-cuts that I have programmed into Word

ITTechQ&A :

yes you will

Customer :

yes i will? what does that mean?

Customer :

someone online advised me that I can save the auto correct entries on a CD and put them back after I re-install office. This tech person said the auto-correct entries end in the file extension .acl.

Customer :

I did a search on my computer and indeed found a folder called MSO.ACL and have saved this a CD. can you help me to put them back into the word program after i re-install theh program?

ITTechQ&A :

Where was the folder located?

Customer :

not sure

Customer :

it says it's part of office suite tho

ITTechQ&A :

The file would not to be stored back in the same location you copied it from. I am not sure the exact location.

Customer :

surely there is a way to save those auto correct entries?

Customer :

i have spent months creating them for my medical-transcription job

ITTechQ&A :

OK, I will need to opt out and see if another expert can further assist you.

Customer :

I have performed the search again and have the drive path wehre i found the .acl folder:

Customer :

C/ProgramFiles/Microsoft Office/OFFICE11/1033

ITTechQ&A :

Copy after you have reinstalled office suite you will then need to copy the file back into the location.

Customer :

i'll do that. you are difficult to get ahold of. when you are offline, does that mean you are gone for the rest of the day usually?

Customer :

i just wonder if there is an easier way to reconnect with you (instead of sitting at the computer all day hoping you are going to pop up on my screen)?

ITTechQ&A :

No, I am on most of the day, usually between 5-7pm eastern time I'm off but return back.

Customer :

okay, i'll keep ya posted ~ and before i let 'cha go, just want to extend a big thank-you for your efforts thus far!

Customer :

have a great day and i'll talk to you soon

ITTechQ&A :

Your welcome, talk to you soon good luck.

Customer :

hey there, i'm back with an update. after uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Office (and performing the Microsoft Office Service Pak updates), the original problem remains unsolved.

Customer :

are you there today?

Customer :

Hi there,

Customer :

I couldn't find you at all yesterday (Friday 1-6-12). Same thing today (Sat. 1-7-12).

Customer :

I really need a tech that is more available to help me resolve my problem. I am out of work until I can resolve this.

Customer :

Can you kindly pass me onto another tech that can help me with this issue? I would appreciate it.

Customer :

I really need to get this resolved so I can resume my at-home transcription job!

Customer :

Thanks.

Customer :

It's now Sunday and still have not heard from you. Once again, I ask that you kindly leave me a message acknowledging that you've read my last post.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Have not heard back from tech for many days now - no response and I'm just left hanging with no solution to my issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is the 4th day I have asked you to respond in some way to my repeated attempts to follow up with you. I have logged and left messages for you on Friday, Sat., Sun., and now Monday and you have yet to respond in any way. I'm sorely disillusioned and am left to wonder why you have not just asked another expert to step in and help me out if you are unable to?

The only suggestion you have made thus far is advising me to uninstall and reinstall MS Office. You may recall that I had to do my own research to properly save my "auto-correct" Word entries since you were not familiar with that. I really need some expert help beyond just reinstalling the software.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chris,
I you will read the above posts you will see that you never did get back to me about my question. After not hearing from you day after day after day, I finally requested and received a refund. Please do not follow up with me again. I am highly dissatisfied with the incomplete service and lack of follow up on your part. I work on my laptop for a living so it left me out of work for way too long while I was unsuccessfully waiting for you to respond.

Patty
Expert:  EADADDARIO replied 2 years ago.

Before closing the file that is closing all of the Microsoft Word document, hold down the Shift key and then try closing that document. Let me know if that solves the problem.