Ryan B.
Ryan B., Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have experience resolving many microsoft office problems
16548393

hello I am having trouble accessing online help. When I click

hello I am having trouble accessing online help. When I click the help button the help window opens but I also get a file dowload window open asking if I want to open a file transition.htm from ms.excel.12.1033. The table of contents shows in the left window but clicking an item in the list produces no result. In the bottom right the message says connected to office online
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.

Ryan B. :

Firefox normally causes this issue if you have it installed. To correct it go to Default Programs in the control panel. At the Default Programs set the configuration of "Microsoft Windows" as default to run windows software for mail, browser, media player etc. It is probably set to custom now. Now when you open help it should run as normal!

Customer:

Hi Ryan, I have not had thai probelm with firefox before - I have used firefox for several years without problem. Also when I go to default programs microsoft windows does not appear in my list of programs to select as default.

Ryan B. :

What version of windows do you have?

Ryan B. :

XP, Vista, or Win7?

Customer:

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Ryan B. :

alright great, thanks

Ryan B. :

Full Size Image

Ryan B. :

Go to start>control panel>Default Programs then click on "Set Program Access and Computer Defaults"

Ryan B. :

Full Size Image

Ryan B. :

Once you have gone to the control panel and click small icons like in the image above and then clicked on Default Programs then clicked on Set Program Access and Computer Defaults then you should have an image like below:

Full Size Image

Ryan B. :

Now set the configuration of "Microsoft Windows" as default to run windows software for mail, browser, media player etc. It is probably set to custom now. Now when you open help it should run as normal!